twin headed hydro punch how to cnc

More
26 Oct 2011 22:39 #14314 by jd896
right i have had a quick sketch for the drive assembly and am thinking of a roller diameter of 50 mm the mass of some of the largest beams it would be handling would be around 350kilos with this and not factoring in acceleration and friction the supporting rollers on the machine are all on new brearings so not much too add there, working with this i have come too 17.5 nm min that just doesnt sound right and as said i dont know what too factor in for acceleration and braking

then again i still think what ever figure will need doubling as some beams come from the stockholders with a slight bend we get them through manualy but its a hell of alot harder

but as said above if the drive doesnt have to be anything special then can it be a geared 3 phase motor as i can lay my hands on these then a presume just use a vfd? if i can get it to take a +\- 10 volt signal or am i right in thinking it could take a pwm input ? 7

many thanks john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2011 23:40 #14315 by andypugh
jd896 wrote:

but as said above if the drive doesnt have to be anything special then can it be a geared 3 phase motor as i can lay my hands on these then a presume just use a vfd? if i can get it to take a +\- 10 volt signal or am i right in thinking it could take a pwm input ?

It is just about possible to use a 3-phase motor and VFD to do position control. You need a good VFD though (flux-vector, probably), and 3-phase motors are likely to get hot and bothered at zero speed.
Having it geared will help.

You would normally use a brushed or brushless servo motor for this sort of job.

Likely to be expensive for that sort of torque though. As a random example:
www.inverterdrive.com/group/Servo-Motors...rotherm/default.aspx
And then you need a drive on top.
You probably don't need 4000rpm, (that's 100 6m beams a minute) so a gearbox would make the economics easier.

More
22 Oct 2012 21:14 #25641 by jd896
hi again ive been running this through my head and wanting to get the hardware and build the panel and such and get all the software sorted before buying £3500 worth of drives and servos and gearbox's i would also need to perfect the drive mechanism keep doing a bit on the 3d acad drawings of this everytime i get chance,
dont ever have much spare time

a few questions:-

would it need to be lader logic to have a solenoid fire and oiler onto the punches say every 15 holes or so
and to control the punches power - have the machine power on if not already for any punch command and then power off again after say 10 mins and have the timer reset every time a punch stroke is requested

am i right in using an o word subroutine for the punch cycles - turn on relay wait for end of stroke switch then release relay then wait for top of stroke switch

and could ngcgui be customised to create the gcode for the machine it woud have to be pretty much a single axis program - dimension to first hole and then an option for centres there after and number of centre repetitions

also could there be away of checking total beam length before any punching -( pull the whole beam through after homing and then measure the length until the beam brake for the home switch is activated indicating the end of the beam)

and then check this against the imputed expected beam length to within + / - 5mm and if it does not meet the tolerance then reject the beam

if the above is mostly correct then i dont think it should be that bad to do after some reading time

More
23 Oct 2012 00:14 #25655 by BigJohnT
To do something every n occurrences classicladder is your friend as it has counters and timers.

Yea, you can use digital inputs to wait for the stroke to complete.

If you can put it into a subroutine you can do it in ngcgui.

You might do a probe move to determine the length of the beam and compare that to what you expect.

John

More
23 Oct 2012 10:36 #25662 by andypugh
jd896 wrote:

hi again ive been running this through my head and wanting to get the hardware and build the panel and such and get all the software sorted before buying £3500 worth of drives and servos and gearbox'se

I think this is probably wise.

it might be worthwhile buying a small drive + servo pair from eBay to practice with, then either put it back on eBay when finished, or keep for the next job.

The cheapest I can find is www.ebay.com/itm//120624827694
However it is difficult for me to search US eBay as I don't have the ability to ignore shipping, and most things come in at $300+ shipping.

More
26 Oct 2012 03:13 #25825 by jd896
andy this might be one for if say the punch units are 600mm apart (fixed at that) and the holes programmed in do or do not match this could a sub for ngcgui or other be written to account for using both punches at the same time/position and if not be used independently and could the sub file make the choice based on if the requested centers would divide into 600
Attachments:

More
26 Oct 2012 03:37 #25826 by andypugh

andy this might be one for if say the punch units are 600mm apart (fixed at that) and the holes programmed in do or do not match this could a sub for ngcgui or other be written to account for using both punches at the same time/position and if not be used independently and could the sub file make the choice based on if the requested centers would divide into 600

I think that those decisions would have to be made by whatever software created the G-code.

More
26 Oct 2012 03:41 #25827 by jd896
sorry andy i ment could ngcgui be set up in such a way so that with the right interface have the hole dims set and generate the code its self

i would like to make the machine very user frendly not so the programs have to be made and then saved and loaded and such just input the dims press done and run it till the jobs done

More
26 Oct 2012 19:24 #25841 by BigJohnT
Looking at the PDF I'm assuming that both holes are punched at the same time and the only thing you have to enter is the X dimension between holes. The way I start a ngcgui subroutine is without ngcgui and once I have the subroutine itself polished up I add the lines needed for ngcgui.

Looking at the PDF I see two series of holes so the entries might look something like this:

Distance to first set =
First Set spacing =
Number of holes =
Distance to second set =
Second Set spacing =
Number of holes =
Beam Length =

In the subroutine
Measure beam length
If ok continue
if not quit

do while number of holes in first set > 0
go to first location and punch hole and subtract one from number of holes
go to first offset and punch hole and subtract one form number of holes

do while number of holes in second set > 0
go to first location and punch hole and subtract one from number of holes
go to first offset and punch hole and subtract one form number of holes

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: jd896

More
27 Oct 2012 02:31 #25848 by jd896
the possibility it there then, is there a way to have the file struture/ order its self so that taking into account the punches are 600 appart have the first few holes run on one machine and then invole the second machine without having to run up and down the beam from point to point (not overlapping moves if you like so's to get cycle times down)

i dont know the terminology but could it order the file based on the x position requested ascending/descending

thanks john

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds