twin headed hydro punch how to cnc

More
30 Oct 2012 20:03 #26059 by andypugh

Thinking about the two drives thing and being able to rewrite Hal on the fly and such could I have switches on the drive mechanisms to sense a beam and rewire Hal to enable and use the drive possibly change into gantry mode when both drives are enabled

I can't see any reason not to simply run both motors (in position control) all the time.
But it is fairly straightforward to enable and disable drives as required using HAL logic.
You _can_ truly rewire HAL on the fly, but I would suggest that doing it in logic is better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 01:20 #26089 by jd896
as the punches are 600mm apart and as we need to position beyond this one drive would be before an one after so they would probably be around 1000mm apart,
so at the start and end of the beam there would only be one drive on the beam and i want to have the drive on one roller and the encoder on the other so i can detect any drive slip and such but i think it would be more trouble some to have the drive try and ride over the end of the beam rather than have it gently lower and nip it when the beam is in between properly maybe?

thanks john

More
31 Oct 2012 05:51 #26101 by andypugh

as the punches are 600mm apart and as we need to position beyond this one drive would be before an one after so they would probably be around 1000mm apart,

With 1 roller between the punches, any part of the beam can be moved to at least one punch. Isn't that enough? (or are the two punches the "high" one and the "low" one?

More
31 Oct 2012 06:08 - 31 Oct 2012 06:10 #26102 by jd896
this will help B) quick clickety click on the cad

this is why i ment have one before the first punch and one after the second as the holes would continue right to the very end
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 06:10 by jd896.

More
31 Oct 2012 06:10 - 31 Oct 2012 06:13 #26103 by andypugh
Aha!

Have you considered the idea I suggested a while ago of a chain drive mechanism with sprockets rather more than a beam-length apart that clamps to one end of the beam and pulls it between multiple unpowered rollers.
That way you have one motor with one encoder and no risk of a roller-encoder slipping.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 06:13 by andypugh.

More
31 Oct 2012 06:20 - 31 Oct 2012 06:23 #26104 by jd896
me and dad both thought of that at first but then decided on space was worth more than the machine taking up what would endup ideally being 30 meters worth of space (our longest beam length being 10 meters so 10 ether side of the punches and then the leadin and such because of the drive chain being fixed

where as current the machine i think is only around 6 or 7 meters long and for the longer beams we have some adjustable mobile roller sections to place where needed and packed up when not

so came the pinch roller idea
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 06:23 by jd896. Reason: spelling what a surprise

More
31 Oct 2012 06:24 #26105 by andypugh
If you have 10m of beam then you need 11m of chain, not 60.
I guess the pinch-roller setup could be a couple of meters long though you still need supports out each side. (I guess they could be removable though)

More
31 Oct 2012 06:33 - 31 Oct 2012 06:34 #26106 by jd896
i noticed what i said just as you wrote that i think andy, (long day now) course it only need to be able to get too one end of the beam as once and travel with it

but even still it would mean one end of the machine taking up 11 meters worth of space and up to now we've only done one job that was the full 10 meters

but id still prefer the pinch roller set up it just seams a nicer set up i do agree it would made life easier with chain drive tho
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 06:34 by jd896.

More
07 Nov 2012 05:33 #26322 by jd896
is there some where im missing to look for the docs relating to subs and the whole syntax the componants relating to subs ect do while and IF and such for writing the punch subs and eventiualy writing the main subs for the beam punching

i have looked and just keep landing on the same user m code pages

thanks john

More
07 Nov 2012 08:18 #26325 by BigJohnT
What your looking for is the O codes

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/o-code.html

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: jd896

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds