dxf2gcode - plasma enhancements

More
19 May 2021 00:09 #209426 by tommylight
Yeah that is an issue with DXF (maybe somewhere else but i do not know where exactly), and the fact that there are a lot of DXF file types, 2 of main ones being 2D and 3D.
Not helping much, but i do recall having to open DXF files in LibreCAD and saving them again as R14 DXF to be able to use them in Inkscape while i was working at a local factory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2021 02:51 #209437 by Joco
Yes the joys of the various dxf formats. A whole world of joy I am just starting to appreciate. In this case that pattern of down grading didn't solve things. But some files I have that have some screwy stuff in them it does seem to help.

I'm on to my next bit fun. Making it possible to adjust the angle of leadin/outs via the gui to get the best compromise angle of attack into a cut.

lol - I am sooo many committs ahead of the main dxf2gcode code line now. But I "think" I am making useful progress.

B)

More
19 May 2021 10:16 #209475 by Joco
Have started adding in the ability to tune of the angle of lead-ins/outs to better suite the specific layout of the geometry. Just using a CW/CCW menu choice (with keyboard shortcuts at the moment). Simple but seems to be effective.

Also found some odd behaviour with how how the split-line-segments feature was working and being countered by an under the hood join-colinear-lines function in the CAM side offset path processing functions. I should have a clean fix for that shortly.
This will allow either the use of custom placed entry points in the dxf geom or the automatic split-lines feature in the tool.

If there is something that is of interest to add to this nice light weight little tool sing out. I may be able to manage it.

Cheers - J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 May 2021 21:31 - 19 May 2021 21:50 #209547 by Joco

Just in case you missed this:
forum.linuxcnc.org/31-cad-cam/38379-c-ca...blocks-instead-of-qt
forum.linuxcnc.org/31-cad-cam/39648-free-cadcam-software-tryout
forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/36768-qt-c-code-samples
forum.linuxcnc.org/31-cad-cam/36039-c-co...the-building-process

Totally missed it. But looks like things stalled? Not seen much from the author on it since mid last year plus some flicking between QT and codeblocks which looks a bit confusing to me.

I did fork the git repo and got a successful compile after install the obvious QT dev stuff and freeglut3-dev. App powers up and looks super nice. But trying to load a very simple dxf (see attached) is a bust. Saved to R14 and R12 format as well. No errors on command line and nothing appears in the display. Loading the gro fonts samples works.

Using code from: github.com/grotius-cnc/QT_cadcam

off master branch. maybe there is something else I should be using?

So much potential, just not sure where its gotten to. Code looks clean and well structured. Hope it gets some legs back as it looks like it would hold an awesome spot in the 2d space.

Again, thanks for pointing me to it.

Cheers - J.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2021 21:50 by Joco. Reason: clarity on code line used.

More
19 May 2021 22:36 #209562 by andypugh

The corner has an extra ultra small line segment that creates a looping back crossed line situation. I have an algorithim that scans around a shape looking at a window of 3 line segments…

On some level I appreciate your approach, but perhaps the real answer is to pop up a box saying "your input file is rubbish at (x,y) complain to the clown who coded your CAD package."
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
19 May 2021 22:50 #209569 by tommylight
LOL @ complaining
Grotius is working on ROS and LinuxCNC implementation, so he is always around here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

More
19 May 2021 23:18 #209578 by Joco

The corner has an extra ultra small line segment that creates a looping back crossed line situation. I have an algorithim that scans around a shape looking at a window of 3 line segments…

On some level I appreciate your approach, but perhaps the real answer is to pop up a box saying "your input file is rubbish at (x,y) complain to the clown who coded your CAD package."

It was tempting. But in many ways I am doing this so I have a free tool chain that will support me. I do think you are right that some form of notification would be a good move. So that user is aware that this file has some issues and that some automatic adjustments were made.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
19 May 2021 23:19 #209579 by Joco

LOL @ complaining
Grotius is working on ROS and LinuxCNC implementation, so he is always around here.

That is good to know. Clearly a capable and talented chap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Grotius

More
04 Nov 2021 00:20 #225170 by paulsao
Joco can I install your customized version for plasma on windows?

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds