Complete newby needing help.

More
14 Oct 2012 13:11 #25301 by BigJohnT
And Good Morning to you Ken,

It does look like a parallel port cable in those photos. If you have Gecko drives then there is hope for an easy setup. I think some photos of yours showing the connectors and innards would be good.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2012 13:16 #25302 by customcutter
OK. Getting ready for church. I'll try to upload some pics this afternoon.

All I know about the cable is it is a 9 pin, I believe RS 232. How do I identify if they are Gecko drives? Want me to pull one and take pics? Remove the black cover?

thanks,
Ken

More
14 Oct 2012 18:11 - 14 Oct 2012 18:12 #25307 by customcutter
Test Supra images

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2012 18:12 by customcutter. Reason: All 3 images the same

More
14 Oct 2012 18:14 #25308 by customcutter

9 Pin RS 232 ports?
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2012 18:15 #25309 by customcutter

Gecko Drives(sp)???
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2012 19:18 #25311 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Complete newby needing help.
Looks like a parallel step/dir interface to the drives on that flat cable
coming from a serial interfaced smart controller. If you have the documentation of the flat cable pinout you could probably just remove the smart controller and drive the flat cable from a parallel port or parallel port breakout board.

More
14 Oct 2012 19:45 #25312 by customcutter
PCW:

No such luck on the documentation. Possibly I can contact CNCmasters and get some information from them.

Any suggestions on driving from a parallel port or parallel port breakout board, if that's the direction I need to go in?

thanks,
Ken

More
14 Oct 2012 20:37 #25316 by BigJohnT
Those drives (black boxes) are most definitely Gecko drives. I assume from the zone post that 201 drives would be correct. If it has the option settings like shown here then you could just ditch all that serial crap if you get a 5i25 7i76 combo. The power supply could be reused.

www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g201x.html

As simple as the drive board mount looks you might just trace out the pin out for the flat cable and use a parallel port from that point to get them to move.

John

More
14 Oct 2012 22:18 - 15 Oct 2012 00:38 #25319 by customcutter
John:

Trying to do some research, so that I understand your post.

" Those drives (black boxes) are most definitely Gecko drives. I assume from the zone post that 201 drives would be correct. If it has the option settings like shown here then you could just ditch all that serial crap if you get a 5i25 7i76 combo. The power supply could be reused."

Are you saying ditch everything except the power supply?

"www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g201x.html"

Are you indicating that I should dump the 201's for 201x's?

"As simple as the drive board mount looks you might just trace out the pin out for the flat cable and use a parallel port from that point to get them to move."

I think you're telling me I could do this simply to "get them to move" as in a simple test, or could that be a "permanent" solution?

Sorry for my "dumb" questions, but I'm in the dark here.

Ken

PS: If I'm going to be ditching hardware to make linuxcnc work, I might be better off upgrading the computer so that Gibbscam is an option????
Last edit: 15 Oct 2012 00:38 by customcutter. Reason: PS added

More
15 Oct 2012 10:50 #25328 by BigJohnT
I just linked the 201 page so you could confirm that you have 201's by the option setting feature which I can't see from your photo. I didn't notice that was the 201x page... in any case you should be able to download the correct manual for your drives from Gecko.

Ditching everything except the 201's and the power supply is a viable option. The 201's can be driven from the parallel port but it is generally recommended to have a breakout board between the parallel port and the drives. The 201 drives are good hardware and are bullet resistant. If you decide you need a brake out board a much better solution is to use the 5i25 7i76 combo. This gives you a ton of I/O and encoder feedback from your spindle for rigid tapping for $200. How this works is the 5i25 plugs into your PCI slot on the computer and a cable goes to the 7i76. You connect 12-24vdc to the 7i76 I/O power. The 201's step and direction pins are wired to the 7i76. The power supply is wired to the power terminals on the 201's.

If the drive board provided opto isolation it could be worth keeping as a permanent solution. IMHO if it just provides a way to connect to the black box I would ditch it and just use the terminals on the 201's and hard wire the drives up.

The main thing is you have some good stepper drives no matter how you end up hooking them up.

John

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds