Linux CNC going Commercial...

More
08 Dec 2012 15:58 #27406 by Rick G

There are some ways using G61 Pnn that can help with some programs

I guess you mean G64 Pnn , which makes a big difference with short segments.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2012 22:00 #27413 by VNR
Replied by VNR on topic Linux CNC going Commercial...

What do you think a Professional Frontpanel has to look like? Touchscreen, separate Rapid-Feed, and Feed Overrides, Buttons for Coolant and other Peripherials, Waterproof?

A professional front panel may be a fanuc, hass, siemens... but this centroid is also good for me => www.centroidcnc.com/m400.htm

That wont be too Hard to do... Buy the single Components, Find a Case you like and assemble them.

You could promote it saying "Professional front panels for the lazy" ;)

The Difficult thing will be make it work with the Software and the connection to the Controller.

I am using an Arduino Mega and it is working OK.

But its a good Idea to build something like this... if there is no vendor for that.

May be expensive for a DIY market, you have to figure out how many wants to buy it instead of producing it.

More
08 Dec 2012 22:11 #27414 by VNR
Replied by VNR on topic Linux CNC going Commercial...

As a short term goal, may be you want to start doing some professional front panels plenty of hardware buttons, there is no such a vendor in the market and i need one

There are actually dozens of such shops in the US alone, probably dozens more in the EU. There are three or four less than an hour away. We gave up building custom HMI's because the market is flooded. And there is no such thing as a standard HMI, even for a 3-axis mill.

The problem is that every customer wants something better (euphemism for different). The prices are high because each job ends up being a one-off. By the time you pay for reinventing the wheel you might as well go with a commercial package. Centroid will sell a complete system for what a panel shop gets just for the HMI.

Doug

I was thinking about something "standard", may be a model for a 2 Axis Lathe and a model for a 3 Axis Mill or gantry, the most common LinuxCNC implementation i think.
By the way the Centroid www.centroidcnc.com/m400.htm front panel looks good for me, i don't know if they sell it as a separate module, and i don't figure out how to integrate it to LinuxCNC.

More
09 Dec 2012 04:07 #27427 by jmelson

There are some ways using G61 Pnn that can help with some programs

I guess you mean G64 Pnn , which makes a big difference with short segments.

Rick G

Sorry! I always get these confused. Yes, G64, and the P sets the amount of
tolerance it allows for the path to deviate from the original G-code. It
removes redundant short segments that can be removed without
changing the path more than the Pn.nn specified. The difference between
default and G64 P0.001 can be amazing, for a 10:1 or greater increase in
speed on some programs.

Jon

More
11 Dec 2012 05:09 #27537 by doug6949

I was thinking about something "standard", may be a model for a 2 Axis Lathe and a model for a 3 Axis Mill or gantry, the most common LinuxCNC implementation i think.
By the way the Centroid www.centroidcnc.com/m400.htm front panel looks good for me, i don't know if they sell it as a separate module, and i don't figure out how to integrate it to LinuxCNC.

The problem I ran into with standardizing a low cost HMI is the monitor. Desktop monitors have a production cycle of just a few months or less. Find a good monitor, fit it to a case, and they will be gone next time you want to order. Industrial monitors are standard dimensions but start around $1200.

I talked to the president of Atrump USA a few weeks ago. He gets around the problem of ever-changing monitor dimensions by purchasing touch screens. He doesn't use the touch feature but has found they tend to stay with one design longer and hold up better than desktop monitors.

The Centroid console is $2995. They sell the keypad for $795. That's not a bad price but the interface is proprietary. The PC just provides a W7 front end for the CNC which is a separate computer (probably M68xxx based).

Doug

More
11 Dec 2012 06:26 #27545 by BigJohnT
You can get an ELO touch screen that is designed to fit into a console starting around $500

John

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds