Starting big, making a SLS with Linux CNC

More
21 Aug 2016 22:03 #79214 by andypugh

You mention that LinuxCNC can handle 9 degrees of movement, but the setup tool only provides for 4. I'm guessing you can't rely on the setup tool for everything. :)

Indeed not. And I suspect that your machine might end up being further than most from what the setup tools expect to be configuring for.

I can produce a detailed object in Inventor ready to be given to a fabrication technician.

That's handy, I have a slicer for Inventor :-)

Will the machine be servo or stepper?

Will the laser follow a fixed raster with modulated laser power, or follow a 3D-printer style path with the laser on all the time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2016 22:48 #79216 by wyattwic
I already have a full set of bipolar steppers, and I have the parts on hand to solder together the matching drivers.

In regards to the print path I may do the same as a 3d printer, since SLS is a similar technology.

Would you be willing to share that slicer? ;-)

More
21 Aug 2016 23:00 #79217 by wyattwic
I feel like an idiot. Apparently Inventor now has "send to 3D printer". Can LinuxCNC work well with STL files or am I still gonna need a slicer?

More
21 Aug 2016 23:09 #79218 by andypugh

Would you be willing to share that slicer? ;-)

Yes, there is a link in the video comments. www.bodgesoc.org/slicer1.3.ivb

More
21 Aug 2016 23:22 #79219 by andypugh

I feel like an idiot. Apparently Inventor now has "send to 3D printer". Can LinuxCNC work well with STL files or am I still gonna need a slicer?

You probably still need a slicer. But if you are going to use 3D-printer paths rather than a raster then there are lots of slicers out there that create LinuxCNC-compatible G-code. See for example slic3r.org

My slicer for Inventor does _not_ create G-code, it was written specifically to avoid the STL stage that creates facets on the model and was for the use of the chap who built that DPL printer that I linked to earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wyattwic

More
21 Aug 2016 23:26 #79220 by tommylight
<=== still here reading and waiting to ...... pounce !
Am working on making Linuxcnc control some machines i make, and it was quite a long journey, but finally tonight i have some really nice results. Here is the link to the original post, if interested (Andy i know you are !! :laugh: )
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/10-advanced-con...e-superimosing-a-pic
The following user(s) said Thank You: wyattwic

More
22 Aug 2016 03:40 #79232 by wyattwic
Hey guys, thanks for the very helpful information! I have been chatting with some of my other friends and they have given me additional design ideas.

If y'all don't mind, Ill post my build progress here, on top of all my CADs/notes for building it. Why build something awesome if others cant enjoy it too. :cheer:

More
22 Aug 2016 04:38 #79233 by wyattwic
Holy crap guys. I just got a call from a very very drunk friend. He's a material scientist.

This is just an idea but I would love to have your opinions. While I know LinuxCNC probably doesn't support it, I think it could be integrated using alternative means.

This dude just thought of a way to do multicolor plolycarbonate in SLS. His suggestion was to have a injet printer pass over the bed between every layer to deposit standard ink where the laser is due to hit. The SLS process causes the polycarbonate particulate to melt and fuse with the ink.

Being a printer tech, I know that the inkjet would have to pass within 0.003in of the bed. How would I prevent it from kicking up dust and clogging the heads? Maybe a large static charge?

Just food for thought. Ill research it later but I wanted to put that out there since I am somewhat impaired myself.

More
22 Aug 2016 09:28 #79240 by andypugh

Holy crap guys. I just got a call from a very very drunk friend. He's a material scientist.

Much more useful than those immaterial scientists. :-)
(FWIW, I am a Materials Scientist by training too)

[/quote]Being a printer tech, I know that the inkjet would have to pass within 0.003in of the bed. How would I prevent it from kicking up dust and clogging the heads?/quote]
Maybe you just need a bigger gap? There are industrial printing systems that throw the ink further.
Does the levelling roller consolidate the powder at all?

More
22 Aug 2016 13:19 #79248 by wyattwic
There are industrial inkjets, but the largest gap I know of is about 0.01in. Keep in mind that's a $2k+ printer. I'm cheap :P

I should be able to bring the printer up somewhat, but as it gets higher it becomes less accurate and skewed in the direction of travel. Then again, when at the proper distance a home inkjet nozzle can be about 12 microns off. If I were to move from 0.003 to 0.01 or 0.1 I should be looking at inaccuracies of no more than 40 microns or 400 microns respectively.

I'm not 100% on what you mean by consolidate. I assume your talking about somewhat packing the powder down? If so, I would have to say somewhat, but I don't know how much for sure. I could possibly do a double pass on the roller to pack it down more.

Again its food for thought. A stretch goal. In order to pull this off I would need to find a way to slice the model into color layers and print it over the bed using the existing driver with some positioning modifications.

Well, I am off to work. When I get back I am going to retouch on my CADs for the whole rig. Once I think its a final draft ill post it up here. :)

Time to create page: 1.019 seconds