Starting big, making a SLS with Linux CNC

More
29 Aug 2016 18:38 #79681 by wyattwic

The only gearings i have seen that don't work in reverse are from old photocopy machines

Boy do you know how to guess it! They are old copier tray lift motors.
These are rated at 12vdc and they refuse to move backwards. Fun.

Tonight I am going to sit down and get the bed design finalized. Forgive me if I'm drunk posting schematics for yalls opinions later.

Off topic, had a buddy score a blast cabinet and a sand blaster for me. $50. Neat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2016 03:26 - 31 Aug 2016 05:35 #79760 by wyattwic
Hey guys,

I have been hung on how to handle the linear movement and bearings, I think I got it figured out but I'd love an outside opinion.

Linear bearings are really expensive ($200 each for the tiny, low load ones), the attached PDF is a linear carrier I just designed. It looks like it should run me ~$35 each, plus the cost of having the metal laser cut.

This is designed to move down a 1" square pipe as the X axis, supporting the Y axis on top of it.. Its X axis OAL is 4".

I should have the rest of the design done soon. I love any input!

EDIT - This is for a 2" square pipe. Considering its a half open assembly, it can handle anything so long as it has a square edge. Ex, U channel.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 05:35 by wyattwic.

More
31 Aug 2016 03:44 #79761 by superlen
Wyatt,

I saw your posts earlier about using inkjet heads. I have the print head of a Leggett & Pratt VU98 massive printer. The head was hit with a forklift (thus the reason I ended up with the entire machine). The actual 'nozzles/heads' themselves I'm thinking are probably trashed. In fact, some are definitely as they have been scratched and physically damaged. Anyhow, if they could help you in any way, you can have them. They are large. Each one is approximately 12" long by 3/4" wide, and it appears that ink was left in them after the crash two years ago. The electronics that controlled these are gone/dead/crushed. Apparently they are $1200 each to replace. I think there are 6 or 8 of them, probably junk at this point, but I know nothing about that technology & they may be useful.

Lenny
The following user(s) said Thank You: wyattwic

More
31 Aug 2016 03:52 #79762 by wyattwic
Hey Lenny,

All I can say is wow. Thanks for the offer mate.

I am unfamiliar with the VU98, so it would be a interesting endeavor. Ill gladly pay the shipping if your up for it! Shoot me a PM on the forums and we can arrange it.

More
31 Aug 2016 09:37 #79771 by andypugh

More
31 Aug 2016 13:26 #79784 by wyattwic
Haven't seen them before but I have seen the same rail and ball assembly.

I like it a ton, but being in the UK, shipping is what kills it cost wise. I'm still going to bookmark it, that's going to have to be my runner up.

The cost of just the X axis' using that rail comes to £105.02, add shipping it becomes £163.78. $214.76.
The problem with this number is they do not have the 6' rails in stock. This is the cost of 4.5' rails, and even then they only have one in stock. Ill call them when they wake up to see what could be done.

The cost of using the rail I have designed so far comes to ~$190 for the X and Y axis'. Parts from McMaster.

While I am at it I am going to post revision 2 of my slider and rail. Tips would be great.
Ill try to get a zip will all the part files out tonight, the board is having issues uploading .zip files.
Attachments:

More
31 Aug 2016 14:42 #79785 by andypugh
There must be US sources.

Have you tried eBay?

More
31 Aug 2016 15:05 #79786 by wyattwic
On ebay, no luck on the rail itself.

The cheapest I can find for the rail in the US is ~$140 per 2 feet. The bearings run about $60.

I guess UK are the ones who produce these the most, because I couldn't identify a manufacturer in the US that isn't rated for work in nuclear plants.

Kinda ticks me off, but hey, every country has its perks I guess.

More
31 Aug 2016 15:09 #79787 by Todd Zuercher
I know they are a little more expensive, but I think profile linear ways are much better than the round bars and bushings.
Like this.
www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hiwin-HGH15CAZAC-Sq...FJ9yiGGiGX9bZJA_5e0g
I am not necessarily endorsing this seller, just an example.

More
31 Aug 2016 15:18 #79788 by wyattwic
Thats the kind of rail I was originally hoping for as well. The issue there is that one costs $312 for the X axis' alone. On a better note that link is the least expensive I have seen so far.

The design I have been making myself (as a last resort if I cant find anything else) goes on 1" square tubes. I dont trust round bars and bushings myself either.

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds