Add Z-Axis to my machine

More
18 Jan 2019 19:05 #124412 by hatch789
Hello Everyone, I need your advice... The time has come to consider how I want to add a proper Z axis to my machine. Currently my knee on my mill is controlled by an analog switch that changes the 3-phase to run the motor one way or the other. It's one rapid speed up/down depending on the switch. The motor in place now is 1400RPM 1/2HP 3-Phase. I would like to swap that out for something I can easily control with my existing LinuxCNC setup.

My current setup is a 7i43-4U card with a 7i49 card for my servo / resolver channels. Right now I only use 2 of 6 possible channels because I have just X & Y. I also have a 7i42TA card for my limit switches and whatnot. That 2nd card is not really used at this time but will be put to better use soon as I figure out proper integration to my safety switches and other add-on's.

I know I could probably do this a few different ways but I would like to keep costs to a minimum if it makes sense. I know I could get another servo motor with a resolver to use my existing 7i49 resolver card. But I don't know how big of a servo motor I need and they seem to be hundreds of dollars. -Still if that price is my only hurdle maybe it's the best way since I already have working servo / resolver pairs and this would just be 1 more. -I just need help picking a servo motor with a resolver for my Z axis.

I could also remove my 7i42TA card and use that other channel on my 7i43 board for a new MESA card. Perhaps one that runs a stepper motor since they are cheaper right? But can a 7i43 control a servo card (7i49) and a stepper card (7ixx??) at the same time? I am also quite sure there are other options I'm not aware of so please help me figure out what my best options are here. I thank you for any help you can offer.

If you want to see my machine you can view it on OUPower.com or look at my youtube channel (user Hatch789y) and you'll see a bunch of old videos with my machine as well as much newer ones this year. This project has spanned 7 going on 8 years!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2019 18:53 #124448 by hatch789
Replied by hatch789 on topic Add Z-Axis to my machine
OK I was doing some reading on mesanet.com and trying to figure out if I might in fact be able to use what I have already in house. I have access to servo motors with encoders on them. Can I take my encoder signal and feed that into my 7i42TA card since it's just a pulse signal? And then just use my existing 7i49 card to push the signal from AOUT2 for my Z axis?

It seems like reading an encoder is much more simple than a resolver so I'm looking for information on doing this if anyone can help me out.

More
20 Jan 2019 00:42 #124462 by hatch789
Guys here's the servo motor that I have in my possession. It appears to be new (old stock) and never used. It has an encoder on the back. I'm trying to find the literature for this one but can only get close, not exact. There is info on 3528 series servos but none with the M5 encoder which mine appears to have.

I'm also struggling to try to figure out how to wire this puppy. I have done some searches but it's not information that appears to be readily available. Hopefully they are standard and easy enough to figure out.

Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2019 02:49 #124464 by hatch789
Can anyone help me with my wiring of this servo motor? My wires are colored:

Black
Orange
Green
Red
Blue
White
Black/White
Black/Red
Unshielded (Grounding wire?)

More
21 Jan 2019 13:37 #124530 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Add Z-Axis to my machine
Is that just the encoder wires, or does it include the power wires?

Do you know if this is a DC motor or a 3-phase brushless?

More
21 Jan 2019 13:49 #124534 by hatch789
Those are just the encoder wires. I will find out how they are setup ...I'm determined to do it. I also have another servo motor with an encoder and I know the pairs of that one.

My bigger burning question is how do I go about setting my 7i42TA to read the encoder input? Do I need a new .BIT file or is the solution more simple than that?

More
21 Jan 2019 13:56 #124537 by andypugh
What is your current bitfile?

If the motor has a rear shaft extension then you could fit a resolver. www.ebay.com/itm/222324569160 for example.

More
21 Jan 2019 13:57 #124538 by Todd Zuercher
Sometimes the best solution is to pop the cover off of the encoder, and have a look to see if you can ID the manufacturer and model# of the encoder itself. Then try to look up what the pin out is for it from there. I've had to do that with a few used servos I've bought from ebay. I even found that I could add index to one just by adding a pair of wires.

More
21 Jan 2019 14:21 #124542 by hatch789
I know I could use a resolver and I will if it comes to that I guess, but I'd like to explore how difficult it is to use what I have on hand. I currently have 2 servo motors with encoders. Popping the cover off is just what I was going to do and look at the labeling so thank you Todd. The servo on this big one is driven by 4 connections for brushes. One is red, one black each of these has a opening in the external threads. Then 2 more black fully enclosed external thread slots on the opposite side. SO I guess 4 brushes but not sure why only one is red? I'll figure that out later.

The other servo motor I have is ready to go literally wired up and ready. -Just not sure if it's powerful enough for my knee. That's why I want to keep the encoder that's on it because I cannot replace that one.

Andy do you want my SVRM6_48.BIT file that I use for my 7i49 card or do you want a different bit file? I am not aware of any .BIT file for my 7i42TA card but maybe there is one? Also I have been asking for a while now if my SVRM6_48 files are old since I think either you or PCW made them for me back in 2011 when we were first messing with my resolvers. Do they look correct to you?

File Attachment:

File Name: SVRM6_48.zip
File Size:56 KB
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2019 14:52 #124549 by andypugh
SVRM6_48 only contains Resolver and PWM modules:
IOPortTag & x"00" & PWMTag & PWMCEnaPin,       					-- I/O 00
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModPwrEnPin,					-- I/O 01
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModSPIDI0Pin,				-- I/O 02	
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModSPIDI1Pin,				-- I/O 03		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModChan2Pin,					-- I/O 04		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModChan1Pin,					-- I/O 05		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModChan0Pin,					-- I/O 06		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModSPIClkPin,				-- I/O 07			
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModSPICSPin,					-- I/O 08		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModPDMMPin,					-- I/O 09		
		IOPortTag & x"00" & ResModTag & ResModPDMPPin,					-- I/O 10
		IOPortTag & x"00" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 11
		IOPortTag & x"00" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 12
		IOPortTag & x"01" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 13
		IOPortTag & x"01" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 14
		IOPortTag & x"02" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 15
		IOPortTag & x"02" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 16
		IOPortTag & x"03" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 17
		IOPortTag & x"03" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 18
		IOPortTag & x"04" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 19
		IOPortTag & x"04" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 20
		IOPortTag & x"05" & PWMTag & PWMAOutPin,            			-- I/O 21
		IOPortTag & x"05" & PWMTag & PWMBDirPin,            			-- I/O 22
		IOPortTag & x"00" & PWMTag & PWMCEnaPin,        				-- I/O 23

IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 24
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 25
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 26
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 27
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 28
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 29
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 30
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 31
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 32
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 33
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 34
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 35
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 36
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 37
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 38
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 39
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 40
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 41
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 42
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 43
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 44
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 45
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 46
		IOPortTag & x"00" & NullTag & x"00",   	-- I/O 47

So you would need a different, custom, bitfile to enable an encoder on the second connector. As far as I can see there is no current standard bitfile for 7i43 that contains both resolvers and encoders.

Time to create page: 0.924 seconds