Very basic questions

More
06 Nov 2019 18:30 - 06 Nov 2019 18:31 #149741 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Very basic questions

Ah, so parallel port is not ideal and there's actual purpose designed PCI(e) cards to overcome the parallel port limitations. So that means the PC needs a spare PCI slot. That's what I was trying to determine.

Well, that or parallel port as an EPP bus. The Pico boards work that way.
www.pico-systems.com/univstep.html
As does the Mesa 7i43 (and a couple of others).

Ethernet is also an option. For an analogue servo system you could consider the 7i97

But, to an extent, the decision on the control board can wait until you know what needs to be controlled.

The "killer app" for almost all retrofits would be the 7i94 and a set of the STMBL servo drives (not srtp/dir or analogue, but digital end-to-end) but the problem there is that the STMBL drive is no longer manufacturable as the main power driver chip went out of production.
However, depending on your time-scale a new version might be out in in time. (But I wouldn't count on it)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 18:31 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2019 21:10 #149751 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Very basic questions

The "killer app" for almost all retrofits would be the 7i94 and a set of the STMBL servo drives (not srtp/dir or analogue, but digital end-to-end) but the problem there is that the STMBL drive is no longer manufacturable as the main power driver chip went out of production.
However, depending on your time-scale a new version might be out in in time. (But I wouldn't count on it)

Any updates on STMBL ? I can source here ( by accident) some Fairchild IC's that can do 10A @ 600V, but did not check if they are compatible.

More
06 Nov 2019 21:28 #149756 by andypugh

Any updates on STMBL ?

gitter.im/rene-dev/stmbl?at=5d869fe042a6b945202f027c

Two things there. 1) A version using standard-package components exists. 2) It's back to being a hobby project, with hobby priority.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Nov 2019 22:16 - 06 Nov 2019 22:19 #149763 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Very basic questions
www.aliexpress.com/item/32839176520.html...43-bd87-43921add41af
over 1800 pieces available ???!!!
Is that it ?
Dibs on 6 to 8 of them fully assembled and tested ! :)
www.aliexpress.com/item/32972413324.html...e4-850b-76fd64ad701e
www.aliexpress.com/item/4000022699249.ht...e4-850b-76fd64ad701e
Last one 86000 available !
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 22:19 by tommylight. Reason: More links.

More
06 Nov 2019 23:49 #149776 by andypugh
Maybe they exist.
If you want to try to buy 50 or 100, here are the quotes I got for assembly of the rest (including components)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h-26i7gX...9OmJNwTtk/edit#gid=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Nov 2019 07:18 #149811 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Very basic questions

Ah, so parallel port is not ideal and there's actual purpose designed PCI(e) cards to overcome the parallel port limitations. So that means the PC needs a spare PCI slot. That's what I was trying to determine.

Well there is also the option to go with ethernet connected Mesa boards. 7i96 and 7i76e are popular for steppers but for servos, you might use a 7i92 and a 7i77 (hope I'm right on the 7i92)

More
07 Nov 2019 09:09 #149819 by UKenGB
Replied by UKenGB on topic Very basic questions
If using ethernet, does that mean a point to point connection between the PC and the external (Mesa) board or can they both just be on the same LAN?

More
07 Nov 2019 09:37 #149821 by rodw
Yes, its point to point and requires the PREMPT_RT kernel but there is an ISO here now
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
You are lucky. I had to compile it from source!
There is also a thread about using Linux Mint that is pretty current.

So on my USFF PC, I had to add a USB wifi dongle which I use for internet connection. Linux is good with sorting out the routing. There will be info on this but my wired NIC is fixed at 10.10.10.1 and my Mesa 7i76e is set for 10.10.10.10 and it worked perfect right from the beginning! You just need to power up the Mesa card before running Linuxcnc or you get an error becasue a card is not found. But once its up and running, there is no real difference between ethernet and a PCI/PCIe Mesa card.

More
07 Nov 2019 09:52 #149822 by UKenGB
Replied by UKenGB on topic Very basic questions
Ah, that's a thought. Use a USB dongle for regular network and the built-in ethernet port for machine control. No extra cards needed. That would certainly be a solution for the PC with no spare slots.

Is it possible to use 2 independent connections for different controls, so e.g. split duty between ethernet and parallel port?

What about a single PC to control 2 different machines, e.g. mill and lathe - not at the same time of course?

More
07 Nov 2019 11:07 #149831 by rodw

Is it possible to use 2 independent connections for different controls, so e.g. split duty between ethernet and parallel port?

You could but you wouldn't. Most of the Mesa cards have an expansion port that is pin compatible with parallel ports so you would add a Breakout board there. (7i76e has 2 and the 7i96 has 1) But also they have a smart serial interface which allows you to add additional (almost unlimited) daisy chained I/O ports.

Take it to the extreme, a 7i76e could also support 2 x 7i76 cards to give you 15 stepgens plus too many IO ports for me to count before we even think about the smart serial interface expansion.

What about a single PC to control 2 different machines, e.g. mill and lathe - not at the same time of course?

Yes of course. The Linuxcnc chooser allows an unlimited number of configurations

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds