Mitsubishi RV-6SDL Robot

More
29 Dec 2020 14:35 - 29 Dec 2020 14:37 #193425 by Aciera
I've also had a look at the trial version of robodk:

robodk.com/simulation

It also has a plugin for solidworks to extract contours directly from the CAD. However this obviously isn't exactly cheap and it would still require a post processor for LCNC gcode but for a commercial application it might still be worth looking at.

[edit]
Just realized you guys already had this conversation. forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/37627...otos?start=20#148430
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 14:37 by Aciera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2020 16:19 #193435 by tommylight

I found Toms thread, forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...rating-system-opencv

Looks like this was a rather short lived discussion.

Not mine, i swear ! :)

More
29 Dec 2020 22:48 #193465 by Clive S
Could this be done with Linuxcnc : :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03, Aciera

More
29 Dec 2020 23:59 #193467 by tommylight
And they sold B.D. !!!!!!!
For a measly 1B !
How the hell is Apple worth nearly 2T while BD only 1B???

More
30 Dec 2020 00:10 #193470 by thefabricator03

And they sold B.D. !!!!!!!
For a measly 1B !
How the hell is Apple worth nearly 2T while BD only 1B???

The robots are slowly rising to power to avoid suspicion? With the rise of AI these robots will be making us their slaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Dec 2020 01:22 #193474 by tommylight

The robots are slowly rising to power to avoid suspicion? With the rise of AI these robots will be making us their slaves.

Humans are creating them to be slaves, all throughout history that never ended well ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
30 Dec 2020 01:41 #193476 by thefabricator03
Back on topic, do you guys see any reason to use ROS? I have been trying to get my head around what it does for a while but I cannot see what it achieves that LinuxCNC cannot.

They talk about obstacal avoidance and such. I guess thats useful if your not using a CAM program to program the robot. I also have been looking at the Scan-N-Plan feature. It would be great if the robot could scan the work piece and come up with its own movement paths. Dont know if that is possible yet or not or how well it works outside of a lab environment.

More
30 Dec 2020 09:22 - 30 Dec 2020 09:26 #193504 by Aciera

do you guys see any reason to use ROS?

That is a good question. I don't think I know enough about ROS to answer that. In my opinion for parts handling and machine tending you don't need ROS and for welding you need path blending through a trajectory planner.
If you are a good programmer I'm sure a framework like ROS could bring a lot of new possibilities.
Personally I don't think automatic feature recognition with path planning in 3D for a 6 DOF robot is within reach (2D might be a different story of course). Extracting a 3D contour from a CAD model into a CAM and then using a postprocessor to create a program is the standard and I would focus on that. In the end it will be a program with a large number of G01 moves that need to be blended to a constant motion. My Mitsubishi controllers made in 2013 can't do that but more modern ones can. What you need for that is a trajectory planner I don't see how ROS would be of any help there.
What ROS might be able to to is help with the tool orientation say to keep it at a certain angle to the path but I think it will be more economic to invest in something like RoboDK that is already made up to do that instead of trying to program that all again in ROS.

[edit]
If I was trying to build a welding robot I would probably focus on RoboDK and see if it can be made to spit out Gcode that can be used with linuxcnc.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2020 09:26 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
30 Dec 2020 11:57 - 30 Dec 2020 11:59 #193515 by thefabricator03
Yeah I think for welding items like columns with cleats and such RoboDK will be the main tool I would need to generate my programs. But maybe ROS might be good for bin picking jobs where there is no set item to be picked.

Hopefully I have most of my projects finished by the middle of next year so I can start getting into the software side of robotics. I brought a copy of RoboDK a few months ago and Albert has created 3d models of all of my robots for me. Its going to be fun.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2020 11:59 by thefabricator03.

More
30 Dec 2020 12:13 - 30 Dec 2020 12:20 #193521 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Mitsubishi RV-6SDL Robot

I brought a copy of RoboDK a few months ago and Albert has created 3d models of all of my robots for me.

Interesting. Has he created a postprocessor that spits out gcode?

[edit]

And yes for bin picking I can see ROS being potentially very useful but there have been some who have successfully incorporated OpenCV directly into LCNC.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2020 12:20 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds