Which UI?

More
08 May 2024 04:39 #300094 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Which UI?

If the board, or whoever decides what features are added, have intentionally not added number of teeth, then what does that say about the board?

Actually there is no 'board'. You are still picturing this as a product with product management and board meetings on how to spend the available resources and how to position the product on the market to maximize return on investment. It's a common misconception because so much these days works that way. Product bashing and complaining is not going to get you anywhere here. Nobody is going to send you stuff from LinuxCNC to get a foothold in whatever market or company you happen to be working in because nobody is going to have any financial gain from having you use it.
The quickest way of changing things in LinuxCNC is to modify it yourself. Because with LinuxCNC you can.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight
The topic has been locked.
More
08 May 2024 12:16 #300113 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Which UI?

My use case (3-axis dual-Y router) is dead simple, but it looks like I have to reengineer the Space Shuttle to include base level features and omit impractical default UI elements. 

This is really dead simple.

The best advice for implementing ANY computer system I have ever received is "Don't fight the paradigm"
If you do this, you will continue to be in a world of pain of your own making.

Its far better to adopt the Linuxcnc paradigm to start with. If you do want to rengineer a Space Shuttle, defer that until after you understand the paradigm. You may find that other positives far outweigh your perceived limitations.

Of course you are free to decide that the Linuxcnc paradigm does not suit you in which case you should adopt an alternative solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT
More
08 May 2024 13:27 #300121 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Which UI?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, travis036
More
08 May 2024 14:59 #300129 by fully_defined
Replied by fully_defined on topic Which UI?

Product bashing and complaining is not going to get you anywhere here.

I am giving a back-of-the-envelope assessment of what I saw with my own eyes. I have no expectation of a reward.

The quickest way of changing things in LinuxCNC is to modify it yourself. Because with LinuxCNC you can.  

Understood.
Remember, I am the very definition of an outsider here. I have poked a stick at LinuxCNC, to see what its defenders have to say about it, and I think I have enough information now. My takeaway is that development was abandoned decades ago, after someone with limited industrial experience graduated from the class they wrote it for as a project. Its online community has convinced itself that their baby is awesome and it's your fault for wanting something a little different. It's free so if you want something more polished, then the door is right there - don't let it hit you on the way out!
Fair!
I don't want to spoil your party.
More
08 May 2024 17:08 #300137 by travis036
Replied by travis036 on topic Which UI?
Actually, i believe you have it all wrong, but are too pompous to figure it out.
there are still developments being made for LinuxCNC, and if you care to get off your high-horse and make a difference, rather than just stirring a turd, then by all means do so. but it seems to me that from your posts, you lack the skill to make a difference, so instead you just poke sticks.

I therefore declare, you are not worth any more of MY time. Enjoy your small little world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fully_defined
More
08 May 2024 17:17 #300139 by fully_defined
Replied by fully_defined on topic Which UI?

I therefore declare, you are not worth any more of MY time. Enjoy your small little world.

You are unironically proving my point, but thanks I guess.

I was in the military for a long time, and I like to think everyone in the room has thick skin and everything is on the table. At the end of the day, we are talking about industrial automation controls, so I don’t consider this much of an emotional investment.

I wanted to know how much the people who are responsible for maintaining LinuxCNC keep it up to date, and now I know. 
More
08 May 2024 18:03 #300146 by MennilTossFlykune
More
08 May 2024 18:05 #300148 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Which UI?

At the end of the day, we are talking about industrial automation controls, so I don’t consider this much of an emotional investment.

Actually, at the end of the day, when it comes to LinuxCNC we are talking about countless unpaid hours of volunteer work donated to provide a free and open source software to the interested user.

You have asked if it was possible to have surface speed and depth of cut displayed in the GUI and I went through the trouble to suggest a solution. Yet you did not even bother to look at any of the GUIs that come with an installation of LinuxCNC to see what you might want to change. Instead you went on a rant of 'Who knows what else has been forgotten?'. That is not exactly what I would call a cool, unemotional state of mind.
There are many people here on the forum who are happy to give their time to find solutions but in your case I got the distinct impression that solutions is not what you are after. Maybe you'll find what you are looking for if you look elsewhere.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW, besriworld
More
08 May 2024 18:12 #300149 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Which UI?
Should have started with a rough idea of what the UI you want to look like and function, pretty sure till now we would have something to test and improve on.
As evidence, see the "Probe basic" and PlasmaC/QtPlasmaC projects, some members came here with an idea, some other members liked it, in about a week time we were testing the working products of their hard labor, now they are both at the point of putting industrial GUI's to shame, especially the QtPlasmaC that has more features than anything out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW, besriworld
More
08 May 2024 18:23 #300150 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Which UI?

I was in the military for a long time...

Utmost respect for that! I survived 2 wars till now, was in the regular military for about a year.

...so I don’t consider this much of an emotional investment.

Your replies say differently, they come as genuinely interested but a bit tired of hopping around the other solutions, mostly disappointing as it seems.
Usually when someone bashes LinuxCNC i just plain ask them "how much is MACH/ArtSoft paying you", but this did not feel like that, so i did not. Also usually, they do not post anymore, confirming they were payed by them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds