Retrofit cnc 3axis

More
06 Oct 2022 22:22 #253640 by clayd_lopunk
Replied by clayd_lopunk on topic Retrofit cnc 3axis
I can't upload the other photos, not even compressed, what can I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2022 07:44 #253649 by clayd_lopunk
Boards drive
Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2022 07:48 #253650 by clayd_lopunk
Frontal signal

More
07 Oct 2022 08:10 #253653 by clayd_lopunk
I checked the relay and inverter cables, the group that I marked in red goes directly to the large board where the drives are connected.
The left button switch cables go through the small board and go to the large board with IDC10, the other switches go through the relays.
I could find continuity between the button that enables the axes and one of the cables that go to the big board, but where can I connect the DVM, the switches are the two behind the 4 relays, S141 is the switch to enable the axes, L151 is a green near light. F101 is the main power switch.
How can I do?

Thanks

More
07 Oct 2022 12:41 #253683 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Retrofit cnc 3axis
Ok, so there is no pin labeling on the drive boards that would have been helpful.

The data in the file ...\MC53\IOPORT.DEF seems to be the port definition for the microcontroller which is also not much help.

What I would do now is follow the individual traces of the two IDC connectors ("Inputs" and "outputs") and see where they go to (ie does the trace go to a drive connector and if so which one) then check if that corresponds to what you already have found (make a list for each connector and it's pins and write down the functions you have found.
As for the spindle I don't really know if there is more to it than turning it on through the pin you have already found and adjusting the speed with the potentiometer on the front panel.

After that I would think the next step would be to wait for the IDC breakout connectors and try out the functions by manipulation of the pins.

More
07 Oct 2022 19:53 #253712 by clayd_lopunk
Very good Aciera, I really thank you for your continued support, which card can I buy to connect linuxcnc with these drives?
I noticed that the connector to enable the axes has two wires, can I search for continuity between one of these and one of the pins of the idc 20 output connector?
I guess I'll buy the card and worst case buy an oscilloscope, should I see the pulse train on the transistor pin when I activate its function?
I'm dreaming of the damn pin that enables the axes. I want the penguin xD

More
08 Oct 2022 07:28 #253736 by Aciera

which card can I buy to connect linuxcnc with these drives?

Those are step/direction drives but require 12V signals instead of the more common 5V. Also you need quite a few inputs and outputs (although probably not all 24 each) also 12V. Might be worth to start a new thread on this forum asking if anybody knows of a suitable board. Maybe you will have to look or ask around for a convertor board to convert 5V signals to 12V signals.

I noticed that the connector to enable the axes has two wires, can I search for continuity between one of these and one of the pins of the idc 20 output connector?

Those two wires (with the spiral wrapping) seem to go to yet another PCB board (no idea what that is for). So you will need to test the functions of the machine and monitor those outputs to try to find out what those two signals are for. Might just be to activate some power supply or maybe a spindle brake (freno mandrino) that is mentioned in several places in the documentation.

should I see the pulse train on the transistor pin when I activate its function?

On an oscilloscope, yes. Although I would ask around for a suitable breakout/convertor board with 12V input output first.

I'm dreaming of the damn pin that enables the axes.

The enable pin(s) will have a trace going to each of the drive connectors on the drive connector pcb but since there is no documentation on the drives it might not be so easy to find the right ones. As I mentioned before there might be one signal from the output connector that is split to all the drive connectors or separate signals for each drive. 

I want the penguin xD 

In your case the penguin wants to be earned :-)

More
08 Oct 2022 15:42 #253758 by clayd_lopunk
The penguin wants to make me sweat seriously. I will try some other tests to clarify the ideas further and see if I can find someone who can suggest a card to manage my signals. Thank you Aciera

More
10 Oct 2022 19:14 #253905 by Aciera

Those two wires (with the spiral wrapping) seem to go to yet another PCB board (no idea what that is for). So you will need to test the functions of the machine and monitor those outputs to try to find out what those two signals are for. Might just be to activate some power supply or maybe a spindle brake (freno mandrino) that is mentioned in several places in the documentation.

Actually I think that PCB board where those two wires in the plastic spiral go to could be the spindle drive. So maybe the two signals are the spindle on/of and the spindle brake.

More
10 Oct 2022 20:41 #253913 by clayd_lopunk
Here I am guys, I haven't taken power yet !! xD

My oscilloscope has arrived, I got a basic model at an affordable price. How can I use it to understand the operation of the transistors that remain fixed at 12V and of those spiral wires you were saying? It seems that the same pin can rotate the spindle L, and stop it when it is at 12V (H).
Can I connect to the usual processor board directly on the transistor leg and a clamp to ground? (Each connector its own)

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds