Getting started... Again?

More
22 Mar 2013 11:49 #31713 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Getting started... Again?
IS CR1 on?
If not, you dont have 5V power to the 7I77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 02:45 #31741 by bogie6040
Replied by bogie6040 on topic Getting started... Again?
Yes +5V is being supplied via the DB-25 cable from the 5i25 card and I measured with my meter that I have +5V being delivered to the encoder. And the LED right next to the 2 pin header for 5 Volt power is lit up. In my previous post I mentioned that I am able to see the encoder count for axis 0 changing, but only when I go into the not recommended test button during the setup screen in Pncconf.

So, should I be able to open the LinuxCNC "AXIS" program with only a one encoder connected - or do I need all of the inputs / outputs connected before it will allow that?

Thanks,
Jake

More
23 Mar 2013 03:09 #31745 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Getting started... Again?

So, should I be able to open the LinuxCNC "AXIS" program with only a one encoder connected - or do I need all of the inputs / outputs connected before it will allow that?

You need every pin mentioned in the HAL file to exist. If that condition is met, then Axis should start.

If you go to the command line and type
halrun
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_pci
show pin
exit

Then you should get a list of all the possible pins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bogie6040

More
23 Mar 2013 10:29 #31755 by bogie6040
So here is the file showing the output of the command you told me to run....

File Attachment:

File Name: showpin.txt
File Size:14 KB

This seems to be the max config of what the card supports not what is configured, I have looked in the hal file that Pncconf has generated and I do not see anything about any other pins being configured other than the three encoders I specified. It still will not run AXIS - how can the card know that an encoder is not there?? And why would that stop AXIS from opening - that doesn't make sense.

Does anyone on here that knows about seting up a servo system with EMC live in colorado springs ???

Jake
Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2013 10:54 - 23 Mar 2013 11:28 #31756 by PCW
Thats correct since there was no config line to set the number of encoders (default is to enable all in the hardware)

What is wrong is that none of 7I77 I/O is showing up. Do you have any LEDS lit on the bottom right side of the 7I77?

No I/O on the 7I77 will make pncconf fail and linuxcnc fail to start as well, so this is a showstopper until the reason is found and fixed.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 11:28 by PCW.

More
23 Mar 2013 12:12 - 23 Mar 2013 12:25 #31759 by bogie6040
LED CR1 is lit up yellow, LED CR3 is lit up yellow, CR15 is lit up green, CR16 is lit up red

Here's some pics too..... In a zip evidently...............

File Attachment:

File Name: fornet.zip
File Size:1,564 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 12:25 by bogie6040.

More
23 Mar 2013 20:56 #31762 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Getting started... Again?

CR15 is lit up green
Here's some pics too.

It took a while to occur to me, which is odd as the 8i20 I set up last night has exactly the same problem.

I think your card is in setup mode (the steady green light is evidence for this)
Move W4 and W12 to the left position and try again.

More
24 Mar 2013 00:57 #31769 by bogie6040
Thanks Andy!!!

That was it! I remember haveing moved them after reading the manual saying they were for setup mode - although it didn't elaborate much. So just for everyones reference, after moving the switches back to their default locations heres what I had on power up: CR1 lit solid yellow (assuming indicates +5V power supplied) CR3 lit solid yellow (assuming indicates field power supplied) CR16 lit solid red (don't know what this LED means)

Then after I started Linux CNC, AXIS opened up and showed the X axis move with the movement of the encoder. Now in addition to the LEDs CR1 & 3 I also have CR6 &CR7 lit solid yellow (don't know meaning) and previous CR16 is now NOT lit and CR15 is flashing green (means processing? maybe?)

Thanks for everyones help!

Andy or PCW is there a know description for all these LEDs anywhere becuse the manual from Mesa does not describe them at all and it would be good for everyone who uses these cards to know what they mean.

More
24 Mar 2013 01:21 - 24 Mar 2013 01:28 #31772 by PCW
The red/green LEDS are just on the latest 7I77s, but here's the 7I77 LED function list:

CR1 Yellow 5V power
CR3 Yellow Field power
CR6 Yellow +15V power
CR7 Yellow -15V power
CR15 Green Serial transaction
CR16 Red Field I/O fault

CR15 blinks on every serial transaction unless the transactions happen quickly.
If they happen quickly CR15 toggles every 512 transactions, so will blink at about
a 1 Hz rate when accessed by a 1 KHz servo thread

CR16 is the field I/O fault indicator (there is always at least a watchdog fault at startup)
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 01:28 by PCW.

More
24 Mar 2013 01:42 #31773 by bogie6040
Thanks PCW,

That explains alot, actually.... I have opened the error limit to a rediculous number (MIN_FERROR = 10.00) and I can see the analog control voltage changing to try and put the motor back to 0 position. I feel much better now about ripping into a machine and being able to make it work again, or causing catastrophic results cuase I din't have a clue about the hal meter / scope, card running properly, etc. I was able to see the position change in the hal scope via x-pos-fb under signals, with the run mode on roll.

Thanks everybody - I hope this helps someone else too.

I know I still have a long way to go, but it helps to have some kind of visual indicator that verifies the changes that you are making - otherwise you might as well be an engine mechanic performing open heart surgery in the dark.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds