Getting started... Again?

More
04 Apr 2013 09:14 #32254 by bogie6040
Replied by bogie6040 on topic Getting started... Again?
Andy, you had mentioned....

The 7i73 matrix keyboard is not easy to use at the moment, but I am working on a HAL component. (It works great with the 7i73 already, but I decided to make it work with any hardware and it took a step backwards)

I would like to get going with the setup of the 7i73, my plan was to use this with an LCD or better yet an LED display (maybe have a PIC emulate an HD44780 controller) and if possible keyboard ( HALUI or userspace) if not I may just wire the "brains" of a USB keyboard to the keys I want to use for that...

I saw the thread 26138 and was wondering if there is anything newer or updated than whats in that post?

Also is everything I need already in LCNC after update to 2.5.2 or is there other files / firmware I need?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2013 10:00 - 04 Apr 2013 21:14 #32256 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Getting started... Again?
You can get OLED character displays that are compatible with the 7I73s LCD interface.
New Haven NHD-0420DZW-AG5 for example.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 21:14 by PCW.

More
04 Apr 2013 20:38 #32273 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Getting started... Again?

I saw the thread 26138 and was wondering if there is anything newer or updated than whats in that post?

It is written and now part of the development branch.

It used to have to option of sending keystrokes to the OS, but I had to remove that part (not realtime-safe). It now only sets HAL pins.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/matrix_kb.9.html

More
06 Apr 2013 01:04 #32315 by bogie6040
Replied by bogie6040 on topic Getting started... Again?
So I can use the 7i73 to send keystrokes to the OS as the matrix_kb.9.html suggests - is that correct?
A slower thread is mentioned - are we talking like ~200 millisecond range for the debounce?

Also (separate project at work) - does anyone know if the 7i77 can be changed / forced to output actual
PWM and DIR signals instead or besides the +/- 10V analog, maybe on the field I/O?

If not is there a circuit I could build that would convert the analog to appropriate signals?

More
06 Apr 2013 02:49 #32317 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Getting started... Again?
If you have a 5I25 and want PWM output, a 7I77 will not work.
It is designed for analog outputs.

If you want PWM.Dir outputs, you will need to either use
the bare FPGA pins on the 5I25 or use a buffer card like the 7I85S

More
06 Apr 2013 03:13 #32321 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Getting started... Again?

So I can use the 7i73 to send keystrokes to the OS as the matrix_kb.9.html suggests - is that correct?

No, that feature has been removed. I am not sure why the documentation hasn't updated.

It is probably possible to write a standalone userspace HAL component to turn the matrix_kb HAL output pins into keystrokes, and I do intend to have a go at that soon.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds