Remote Desktop from the office, to home LinuxCNC

More
27 Apr 2013 17:56 #33272 by andypugh

I think I ended up updating Ubuntu, as I now have a power button in the top right hand corner.

That shouldn't matter, as both my LinuxCNC machines have that.
Well, they did have, I managed to lose it on the mill, and I haven't figured out how to get it back :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2013 17:13 #33318 by ScottBouch
Thanks dude, good to know it should be alright.

I thought that Ubuntu for LinuxCNC needed to be rid of all non essential components in order to ensure hiccup free machining.. But I guess your experience shows it can be done with full Ubuntu!

I'm going to try installing Team Viewer now, as I'm on a night shift tonight, and will see if I can dial in on my break!

Cheers, Scott

More
28 Apr 2013 18:02 #33320 by ScottBouch
IT WORKS!!!!

I'm in my living room, on my W7 laptop, Team-Viewered into my shed, writing this post on the LinuxCNC machine!!! WOOHOO!! So it works across the LAN, next to try over the internet.

One thing I would now like to find out, is if it can do wake-on-lan, as I may not have left it switched on when I need access. I know our work machine can wake up when I dial in from home, but that's WXP, may be different for Ubuntu.. got to figure that bit out.

Either way, I'm very impressed with how very simple this has been! Good old Team Viewer!

Cheers,Scott.

More
28 Apr 2013 19:15 #33326 by BigJohnT
I didn't even know they had a Team Viewer for Ubuntu...

John

More
28 Apr 2013 20:03 #33329 by andypugh

One thing I would now like to find out, is if it can do wake-on-lan, as I may not have left it switched on when I need access. I know our work machine can wake up when I dial in from home, but that's WXP, may be different for Ubuntu..

WoL is a BIOS-level feature. Totally independent of the OS. (When the network card wakes the machine up there is no OS active at all)

More
29 Apr 2013 03:39 #33351 by ScottBouch
I've done a bit of reading into WoL, it's getting into the realm of added complexity and time, so I think I'll skip it for now!

Well, I had a crash earlier on the shed PC, and I think it messed up Team Viewer, so I can't connect from work... grr... However, earlier I also downloaded the Android phone Team Viewer app, which worked nicely too! I'll do a re-install and try again.

<side note>
I am tempted to try TeamViewer on my Raspberry Pi too - May be a nice easy way to transfer holiday photos back home to our NAS, as I can leave the Pi on all the time without a big energy bill! Saves messing around opening up ports on my router, configuring static IP addresses, etc.. - I have mounted the NAS on my Pi, so it would be a nice simple method.
</side note>

Cheers, Scott.

More
23 Jul 2013 18:32 #36933 by ScottBouch
I've used Team Viewer a few times now from the android app on my phone around home, it works rather well actually... Still to try it over the internet from work though.

Not had much time for this project recently, with family holidays and other hobbies etc.. but hoping to get back into it now.

Cheers, Scott.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds