Maximum Velocity Setting Locations?

More
10 May 2013 23:34 #33892 by Paul
I used to have success changing my table's maximum velocity in the .ini file. Both machine and per axis. Now, configuring a new setup, I find my maximum velocity is now much higher than the ini's settings and making changes in the ini file doesn't help.

Is there a place in the HAL files that would override the ini settings? What should I look for?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2013 00:36 #33894 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Paul

I have in this very moment similar problems:
I'm in the Phase of optization. Every thing is fine beside the acceleration oft the A axis.

It stays too slow, also when I use high value as here 6000 units...
Very slow like 6 works..

Anybody any idea?

THX Mike

More
11 May 2013 15:08 #33919 by ArcEye

I used to have success changing my table's maximum velocity in the .ini file. Both machine and per axis. Now, configuring a new setup, I find my maximum velocity is now much higher than the ini's settings and making changes in the ini file doesn't help.

Is there a place in the HAL files that would override the ini settings? What should I look for?

No the hal file uses the settings from the .ini file
as in
setp stepgen.0.maxaccel [AXIS_0]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL

Without your files to look at can only guess.

If you have edited by hand, are you aware that velocity settings are in units per second in the .ini file?

You are used to seeing velocities in units per minute in the display and if you use those they will be 60 times to high!

If that does not help, zip your whole config directory and attach it to a post

regards

More
11 May 2013 17:23 #33923 by Paul

If you have edited by hand, are you aware that velocity settings are in units per second in the .ini file?

You are used to seeing velocities in units per minute in the display and if you use those they will be 60 times to high!

Thanks for the reply ArcEye. Normally the unit in time is something I would miss, but in this case, I became aware of that earlier in life :).

Basically, I am now attempting to modify the THC300 example files to fit my machine. It also seems to be present when working with example files for the Mesa THC parallel port files, too. My maximum velocity of 15,000mm/m (250mm/s, correct?) is now displayed, and possibly ran, at 24,000mm/m when I start LinuxCNC. I can adjust the slide bar back down to 15,000, but when I turn on the torch, the Z axis cycles down through it's range at a rate much higher than the axis maximum setting of 2400mm/m and also more than the 15,000. Enough to miss steps. I edited the base rate to an exceptable value for my setup, also. Come to think of it, the Axis maximum velocity slide bar settings are not used when I hold down the shift key and jog around the table - They are too fast, too.

I will have to upload my files next time I get back to the table. Thanks again.

More
11 May 2013 18:36 #33925 by BigJohnT
The THC300 configuration is complicated and buggy and I would not recommend it for a plasma machine.

What kind of THC do you have?

John

More
11 May 2013 18:44 #33926 by Paul
Hi John. Thanks for your time. That's kind of good to hear that it's buggy. But only for confirmation. I'm not having alot of luck with the Mesa THCAD, so I thought I would look into the Proma THC up/down-type with my parallel port setup. I thought I pretty much had everything ready except the velocity settings and I have yet to figure out why (or how to control) the Z axis has to run down to it's low limit settings upon firing the torch. I have a touch-off routine (probably based on your work) that finds the top of the material just fine. I'm just looking to keep the torch tip at a reasonable distance during cutting.

Thanks
Paul

More
11 May 2013 18:46 #33927 by BigJohnT
What kind of problems are you having with the THCAD card?

Are you using the thc component with the THCAD card?

John

More
12 May 2013 19:49 #33946 by Paul
John,

The biggest problem here is that I don't know what I am doing. There, I said it. I have your example files for the parallel port and with the help of you, coolmo32, Andy, PCW, emcPT and I am sure others, I have a setup to test. When I check the thc-velocity-in, it doesn't indicate a stable value when I change the input voltage to simulate different torch gaps. I mentioned this and was asked a couple of questions that I still cannot answer even after reading through the integrator manual.

So, instead of continually bothering you guys, I thought I may get away with plan B, an up/down thc setup, but as we can see, the "bothering" part has not let up.

Should I, instead, look at your thcud.comp file for the Proma thc?
Paul

More
12 May 2013 23:03 #33956 by BigJohnT
The velocity will not be stable and depending on the jumper setting vary more or less.

If you can't get the thc comp to work purchasing another thc device does not seem to fix the original problem.

You might have the correction velocity way too high...

thc.correction-vel float rw
The amount of change in user units per period to move Z to correct

John

More
16 May 2013 19:35 #34187 by Paul
I am wondering if I understand this correctly using the thcud.comp with my parallel port/C-10 setup.

In my main hal file, I include these entries:

loadrt thcud

net thc.torch-up <= parport.0.pin-12-in
net thc.torch-down <= parport.0.pin-13-in
net motion.spindle-on => parport.0.pin-16-out
net thc.arc-ok <= motion.digital-in-00 <= parport.0.pin-15-in

net thc.requested-vel <= motion.requested-vel
net thc.current-vel <= motion.current-vel

And then, in my plasma.xml file, I include:

<checkbutton>
<text>"THC Enable"</text>
<halpin>"thc-enable"</halpin>
</checkbutton>
<spinbox>
<width>"5"</width>
<halpin>"vel-tol"</halpin>
<min_>.01</min_>
<max_>1</max_>
<resolution>0.01</resolution>
<initval>0.2</initval>
<format>"1.2f"</format>
<font>("Arial",10)</font>
</spinbox>

And include in my postgui.hal file:

net thc-enable thcud.enable <= pyvcp.thc-enable

Now, if THC is enabled (checked on), torch is on, arc ok, x and y at speed, will an up/down THC be able to control my z axis via pin 12 for up and pin 13 for down based on the thc's voltage settings?

I hope this is close. Any direction greatly appreciated.

Paul

Time to create page: 1.541 seconds