How to make a tool changer move to home

More
22 Nov 2020 19:34 - 22 Nov 2020 19:37 #190077 by Aciera
Thanks for the compliments but really I'm a numpty myself.

As for the B encoder signal:
I haven't followed as to why you have the encoder but I presume it's on the spindle.
If you just need the spindle speed then you don't need the second encoder signal. If you need to know which way the spindle is turning you would need both signals.

[edit]

s it out of your remit

I dabble in almost anything and everything
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 19:37 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2020 20:34 #190080 by Clive S

Thanks for the compliments but really I'm a numpty myself.

As for the B encoder signal:
I haven't followed as to why you have the encoder but I presume it's on the spindle.
If you just need the spindle speed then you don't need the second encoder signal. If you need to know which way the spindle is turning you would need both signals.

[edit]

s it out of your remit

I dabble in almost anything and everything

Yes I know you are into PnP with ethercat
Yes It needs to be able to thread which needs Z+A but ridged tapping needs AB+Z so I might try it with just A+Z. I have a 100 slot disc with 3 slotted opto,s with one extended for the Z. I have that on my own lathe as well but with a 5i25+7i76 so no prob. with inputs.

More
15 Dec 2020 12:34 #192042 by Clive S
Update:

I have now got back to this little lathe and would like to know if it is possible for the axis gui to remember the last position of the tool changer on start-up. As it is easy to forget to input the tool number after a reboot.

forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...home?start=10#190038

More
16 Dec 2020 06:30 #192103 by Aciera
There was a discussion about that here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ve-variables?start=0

Bed time reading is here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/overview.html#gcode:parameters

So it seems that you could save the tool number in a parameter using gcode like this:
#3000=#5400

IIRC you have a tool change remap, so maybe that could just be added to it?

More
16 Dec 2020 10:23 #192115 by Clive S

So it seems that you could save the tool number in a parameter using gcode like this:
#3000=#5400

IIRC you have a tool change remap, so maybe that could just be added to it?

Many thanks.
From what I have read using the var. file cannot be relied upon because it can get corrupted in linuxcnc exits unexpectedly.

Thinking aloud could the message on screen asking for the tool position to stop motion until it was deleted ?

If it could be done in the toolchanger comp that would be good but then if the var file got corrupted then there would have to have a way to input the correct tool position.

I have learnt such a lot by doing this little lathe with your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Dec 2020 10:36 #192118 by Aciera
Ha, we've both learned a lot!

Thinking aloud could the message on screen asking for the tool position to stop motion until it was deleted ?

Not quite sure what you mean there.

I don't know of any other way to store values other than the .var file.

More
16 Dec 2020 11:01 #192120 by Clive S

Ha, we've both learned a lot!

Not quite sure what you mean there.

I don't know of any other way to store values other than the .var file.

When linuxcnc starts up, it puts a message on screen saying to input the tool number that is actually in position.

If this is not done (it is easy to forget) then running some code could end in disaster :(

I agree the var file is the way to go but if it got corrupted then there would have to have away to correct what the correct tool number is.

I notice that the tool number is displayed at the bottom of the axis gui.

Could the comp pass the number to the var file and read it on startup ?

More
16 Dec 2020 12:40 #192130 by Aciera
IIRC the parameters cannot be accessed through the hal file directly. They are accessed through Gcode. But since you run special gcode in your toolchange remap we could write the toolnumber to the paramater as outlined above.

There is also a .var.bak file. Both of those are just text files with the parameter number and the values. I'm not sure how and when .var and .var.bak get created.

What could be done of course is to have a big reminder displayed at startup to check if the tool in the toolchanger and the loaded tool are the same.

More
16 Dec 2020 13:02 #192132 by Clive S
Yes that sound like a plan. I believe that the var backup gets written to each time the main one is done, This would mean that the backup would not get corrupted with a bad shutdown.

Would you be happy to alter the comp to do this, obviously I will do any testing as usual for my mentor. :)

I am not in any hurry as I am aware that you are into bigger and better projects.

More
16 Dec 2020 14:01 - 16 Dec 2020 14:27 #192135 by Aciera
No need to alter the comp. We need to alter the M6 remap. that is a .ngc file. So see if you can find that and attach it please.

[edit]
Which GUI are you using? Axis or gmoccapy?
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 14:27 by Aciera. Reason: Add question

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds