Upgrading 2.4.3 to 2.4.6

More
06 Jun 2011 00:18 - 06 Jun 2011 00:19 #10332 by TarHeelTom
Downloaded 10.04 over a year ago, and had it working (although with no limit switches ot other goodies installed) although the bits and pieces of my "new" mill were scattered all over the garage.

Finally getting the various bits and pieces into one cabinet and am well along the path to wiring all the limit switches, relays, etc.

Got a new (to me) motherboard and installed it in a POS (point of sale) case. Installed 10.04 and 2.4.3 again and all appeared well. Then started using stepconfig to set up a setup for the mill. Have not yet got it running, after numerous attempts.

Then remembered reading that there might be a few stepconfig errors in 2.4.3. So downloaded the iso for 10.04 and 2.4.6, and burnted them to a disc. Booted my new Windows pb using the livecd and it appeared to work fine. Did not, of course, attempt to install it.

Back to the shop, and tried to install the livecd on the computer in the mill. No matter what I do, it always opens 10.04 off the hard drive, rather than off the livecd.

The building the mill is located in does NOT have internet, so can't use the obvious method of updating 2.4.3.

Is there another way to get emc2 to snag the 2.4.6 upgrades without physically moving the computer to a different building?

Thanks

Tom
Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 00:19 by TarHeelTom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2011 10:26 - 06 Jun 2011 10:54 #10336 by BigJohnT
Download the emc2_2.4.6_i386.deb from linuxcnc.org/lucid/dists/lucid/emc2.4/binary-i386/ then copy that to your remote computer and run the package manager on it.

John
Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 10:54 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Jun 2011 12:54 #10340 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

Download the emc2_2.4.6_i386.deb from linuxcnc.org/lucid/dists/lucid/emc2.4/binary-i386/ then copy that to your remote computer and run the package manager on it.

John

Thanks, John, that sounds simple enough. How does one run the "package manager".

Interesting situation here. I spend a good deal of time maintaining several websites, all of which are based on a Linux server. I THOUGHT I was pretty good at Linux. Very little of that knowledge applies to running Linux on my working machine.

Off topic. Will you be in Michigan this month?

Tom

More
06 Jun 2011 13:39 #10341 by piasdom
Replied by piasdom on topic Re:Upgrading 2.4.3 to 2.4.6
it's under System/Administration/ Synaptic Package manager.
(sorry don't know the terminal command)

More
06 Jun 2011 14:26 #10342 by BigJohnT
I think you just have to click or double click (depends on how your system is set up) on the deb and it automagiclly starts up for you.

No, I don't have any plans to be in Michigan.

John

More
06 Jun 2011 21:02 #10343 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

No, I don't have any plans to be in Michigan.

John

Shame. Thought you might be in Ann Arbor for 21 through 24th. Would have been a good chance to meet you.

Tom

More
06 Jun 2011 21:29 #10344 by BigJohnT
LOL, I'm not much to meet in person... some say I'm not a people person cause I don't tell people what they want to hear.

John

More
06 Jun 2011 21:39 #10345 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

LOL, I'm not much to meet in person... some say I'm not a people person cause I don't tell people what they want to hear.

John

I may suffer from a bit of that malady myself.

Tom

More
07 Jun 2011 02:57 #10349 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

I think you just have to click or double click (depends on how your system is set up) on the deb and it automagiclly starts up for you.

John

I have the above mentioned package copied to the desktop, and tried to open it with the Package Manager (at least i think I did...)

Every time I try it, I get an error message saying ~~ "This will break EMC2".

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Tom

More
07 Jun 2011 12:57 #10351 by BigJohnT
It should be ok, I'll have to download the LiveCD again (gave away last copy) and follow along to see what that is.

John

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds