Upgrading 2.4.3 to 2.4.6

More
08 Jun 2011 13:17 #10374 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

I have two of them, one is earmarked for my BP Discovery 308 VMC... I still like mine.

John

What kind of jitter rate do you get?

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2011 13:48 #10375 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

I have two of them, one is earmarked for my BP Discovery 308 VMC... I still like mine.

John

Also, how much memory do you need on this board to run emc2? This will be a dedicated machine, won't be playing games or internet or music or videos or whatever.

Thanks

Tom

More
08 Jun 2011 17:46 #10378 by BigJohnT
I don't know what the minimum memory is... I have 3.2Gib according to the system monitor even though I installed 2 Gib x 2.

John

More
11 Jun 2011 22:21 #10433 by andypugh
TarHeelTom wrote:

Also, how much memory do you need on this board to run emc2?

1 GB and an 8GB SATA DOM flash drive is plenty. In fact you can probably use a 4GB drive, I actually do EMC development in 8GB…

More
12 Jun 2011 05:28 #10440 by TarHeelTom
andypugh wrote:

TarHeelTom wrote:

Also, how much memory do you need on this board to run emc2?

1 GB and an 8GB SATA DOM flash drive is plenty. In fact you can probably use a 4GB drive, I actually do EMC development in 8GB…

Thanks for the reply, Andy.

Just gutted my old case, with a new motherboard in it, at the max jitter was up aroung 70,000. On the recommendation on this board, bought a D510MO board from newegg, and the 2G of memory and the 160 Meg hard drive that they recommend with the D510MO. Had about a dozen failed installs last night, and am getting ready to download the LiveCD again and start over, this time checking the checksum. Interesting that the LiveCD loaded up just fine on my Windows 7 computer, but not on the D510MO. One thing the newegg ad doesn't mention is that although there is support for a parallel port built into the card, there is no DB25 socket, so need to order a cable tonight inorder the use the built-in parallel port. Already have a second parallel port in the only PCI slot.

This one part of the process is getting a little bit frustrating.

Tom

More
12 Jun 2011 08:05 #10441 by TarHeelTom
Well, I'm getting tired of this one error message.

I ask Ubuntu to install itself, then answer all the questions. it shows two partitions, but not the partition containing Ubuntu.

I get the Ubuntu welcome screen but before I can read it all, I get this error message:

(process:296): GLib WARNING**: failed due to unknown user id(0)

I've made several different LiveCD disc, and on the last one check the md5checksum before burning the disc. Also, the last disc loaded up well on my Windows 7 computer, but I certainly don't want it to install over Window 7.

Any ideas?

:S :S :S

:( :( :(

More
12 Jun 2011 10:32 #10444 by BigJohnT
I've had problems in the past if I didn't burn the liveCD at the slowest speed. The fact that it boots up in your win machine kinda tells me it is ok... is the CD drive in the D510MO machine a new one?

John

More
12 Jun 2011 13:19 #10447 by andypugh
TarHeelTom wrote:

One thing the newegg ad doesn't mention is that although there is support for a parallel port built into the card, there is no DB25 socket

However, that pin header is perfect for a simple ribbon-cable connection to a Mesa 7i43.
The cable required is the standard one that comes with dual-port PCI cards, and you should be able to find one very cheaply.

As for the installation issues, I don't know what the problem is, but I would be tempted to try installing from a USB stick. That is what I did, and it worked fine. I did it because I don't have a CD drive that can connect to the motherboard.
As I recall, I did it using utils from pendrivelinux.com using the EMC2 live-CD .iso.

More
12 Jun 2011 13:58 #10448 by TarHeelTom
andypugh wrote:

TarHeelTom wrote:

One thing the newegg ad doesn't mention is that although there is support for a parallel port built into the card, there is no DB25 socket

However, that pin header is perfect for a simple ribbon-cable connection to a Mesa 7i43.
The cable required is the standard one that comes with dual-port PCI cards, and you should be able to find one very cheaply.

As for the installation issues, I don't know what the problem is, but I would be tempted to try installing from a USB stick. That is what I did, and it worked fine. I did it because I don't have a CD drive that can connect to the motherboard.
As I recall, I did it using utils from pendrivelinux.com using the EMC2 live-CD .iso.

Thanks, Andy. I'll try using the USB stick today. Just bought a fresh one Friday. Seems like I've seen instructions somewhere on using a USB stick.

Unfortunately, I'd already bought a PMDX-132 bob about a year ago, and it was working. Hadn't heard of the mesa boards until recently. Wonder if mesa will be at the CNC Seminar in Ann Arbor next week? Anyway, I've ordered this cable from newegg:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...200833&Tpk=plate25fb

Thanks again.

Tom

More
12 Jun 2011 14:04 #10449 by TarHeelTom
BigJohnT wrote:

I've had problems in the past if I didn't burn the liveCD at the slowest speed. The fact that it boots up in your win machine kinda tells me it is ok... is the CD drive in the D510MO machine a new one?

John

Yes, the CD drive is new to me, although I think it is a used unit. But it's a SATA drive, and I didn't have any SATA units on hand, so bought one from the local computer shop.

Since I didn't have any SATA units of any kind on hand, everything but the POS case and the power supply in the case is new.

Tom

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds