(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
27 Oct 2020 00:26 #187357 by irwinger
BAHHH!!! back to the 2 parallel port error messages now... but I noticed that the 'power' button for LinuxCNC was no longer greyed out - so I thought... "if it smokes, I'll probably be able to figure it out!".

Hit the power button and the I can manually move the system around. Normally - I use the arrow keys to move it - but only the left/right keys work and they move the head diagonally. To change the diagonal direction (+y|+/-x to -y|+/-x) I have to tap either the up or down arrow key. When using the homing function - it also moves diagonally and not in one direction.

I appreciate your time and quick responses - the question is... are these errors causing the diagonal movement (somehow I don't think so?) or is that a different configuration issue I need to resolve?

Arden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2020 00:59 - 27 Oct 2020 01:00 #187359 by irwinger
Wahoo!! it works (I think). At least the manual motion around the surface is now correct - I had a configuration error in my stepconf file. I corrected that and it now moves and homes correctly.

I'm going to try a test cut to see and then I am off to the races (I hope).

Thanks Beaglebrainz for your work in developing this LinuxCNC/Linux Mint marriage and thanks so much for working to help me get going. I'm still not sure about the errors I experience on loading - I hope the don't rear their ugly head half-way through one of my 4+ hour cuts...

Arden
Last edit: 27 Oct 2020 01:00 by irwinger. Reason: wrong word - completely changed the meaning of my first couple statements

More
27 Oct 2020 02:12 - 27 Oct 2020 02:13 #187362 by BeagleBrainz
Not completely out of the woods yet.
What we need to do is stop those modules from loading every time you boot.

The file that I have attached needs to be renamed blacklist-linuxcnc-ppdev.conf and then copied using sudo to /etc/modprode.d/
mv blacklist-linuxcnc-ppdev.conf.txt blacklist-linuxcnc-ppdev.conf
cp sudo blacklist-linuxcnc-ppdev.conf /etc/modprobe.d

Then reboot and see if linuxcnc runs. If not we will have to try some thing else.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2020 02:13 by BeagleBrainz.

More
18 Nov 2020 23:46 #189739 by aparecido
Hello everyone, everything good? I'm trying to run the autoleveller software, but it is giving me an error with the installed java, I couldn't solve it, the author of the software suggests installing the JRE version 11 or earlier, I followed tutorials that found and it didn't work with any.
can you help me? Thanks.

More
19 Nov 2020 00:16 #189741 by tommylight
Did you set the permissions for the file to be executable ?
And start a new topic for software questions and issues not related to this tutorial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aparecido

More
19 Nov 2020 00:24 - 19 Nov 2020 00:29 #189743 by aparecido
Yes, I gave the permissions.
Just explaining to me that I posted here .. I posted on this topic, because I am not using the installation of the main page, I am using Mint 19.3 and I thought the post here would be more appropriate, as there must be differences between it and Debian.
I created the topic , thanks again tommylight.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 00:29 by aparecido.

More
19 Nov 2020 00:56 #189745 by tommylight
Yup i thought you are using this, but that is a Linux issue and this is for installation of LinuxCNC issues.
You are welcomed, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aparecido

More
09 Jan 2021 12:44 - 09 Jan 2021 12:45 #194586 by Fiury
Hello,

i intalled Mint 19.3 and linuxcnc , but i cannt run VDF via terminal:

a) PC - intell NUC
b) board - mesa7i76ed

i have warning in setup of mesa (by spindle): You are using a simulated-realtime version of LinuxCNC, so testing / tuning of hardware is unavailable.

Have i problem with system or VDF setup ? (is the warning ok ? probably not i think so..)

Thank you for support
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2021 12:45 by Fiury.

More
09 Jan 2021 12:54 #194587 by tommylight
Ahoj Jane,
On the first page of pncconf untick the "create simulated......"
And start a new topic for the VFD issues, this is for installation issues only.

More
09 Jan 2021 14:47 #194590 by my1987toyota
Glad to see this topic at the top of the Installing Linuxcnc page

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds