(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
08 Feb 2020 03:02 #156735 by freddie
Yes it has that menu and I choose it. It shows the rt kernel I downloaded and that recovery mode, then the regular kernel and its recovery mode. Select the new kernel and it always goes back to same message, load kernel first, Can only boot by selecting original kernel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2020 04:16 #156738 by BeagleBrainz
Like I said in this post forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...tion?start=40#156724
I really need to more info.

If you can't, wont or unwilling to do that there is SFA I can do to help. And I'd really like to get you up and going.

More
08 Feb 2020 04:43 - 09 Feb 2020 09:43 #156740 by BeagleBrainz

Yes and Advanced options menu only show 5.3.8.28.
Would be nice to download a iso all set up with LinuxMint & CNC ?
It would stop a lot of people from using a lot of aspirin as one fig it out

Ok first things first, don't hassle the Linux Mints guys about any issues with this, ask me :)
Whilst booting it may stall at Rengerating SSL Certificates, hold down the shif key and it will continue.

md5 check sum:
drive.google.com/open?id=1rx9VWub9qvvXxrm4X6d7bpH6HGQMRXA9

ISO image, either burn to DVD or transfer to USB.
drive.google.com/open?id=1rL_YJZqJ8sIbucN94fzgPaDnXODC2KeN

In windows use ONLY Win32Disk Imager to create a bootable USB stick
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ You will have no issues with Win32DiskImager or use dd under Linux.

Changes that have been made.
RT kernel & headers installed
Linuxcnc 2.9 uspace, dev and EN docs

The following have been added to suit my tastes
Midnight commander has been added
Geany text editor has been added
gFTP has been added a GTK ftp client, has some very nice features.

Finally
A modification has been made to the gimp mime types so it does not open the Linucnc pdf help docs but a pdf viewer.
You will see the kernel messages and boot messages whilst booting the iso, this is to make it easier to see if the boot process is stalling on the aforementioned section.
As per usual Mint iso it can be run as a livecd or installed to disc as per normal Mint way.

This has been tested on VBox and a Lenovo T530 Thinkpad with 12GB RAM.

Feedback back is very much appreciated, or any suggestions, such as removing the libreoffice suit and adding either FreeCAD or librcad.

One thing before I forget, if you elect to update packages please please right click on any kernel packages and mark them as to be ignored.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:43 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Feb 2020 11:25 - 08 Feb 2020 13:05 #156750 by WhyMe1
Thank You for the info on iso -- Downloading --- will use WinUSB v3.7.0.1 to make a USB boot stick and try it out .

WinUSB v3.7.0.1 will not work with Linuxmint CNC 2.9 iso -error Linux Lnitrd file not found on iso .
Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 13:05 by WhyMe1. Reason: error

More
08 Feb 2020 11:33 - 09 Feb 2020 09:43 #156751 by BeagleBrainz
If you have used that to make a Linux Mint bootable usb stick I guess, but Win32DiskImager is simple and reliable, it doesn't try to be too clever.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:43 by BeagleBrainz.

More
08 Feb 2020 11:42 #156752 by tommylight

Yes it has that menu and I choose it. It shows the rt kernel I downloaded and that recovery mode, then the regular kernel and its recovery mode. Select the new kernel and it always goes back to same message, load kernel first, Can only boot by selecting original kernel.

What flawour of Mint are you using ?
From what you describe, there is no initrd and vmlinuz created or they are not in the boot folder.
I wonder how did that happen ????
I have installed this same setup over 30 times till now with Mint 19.1 and 19.2 and 19.3 and it never failed.
19.3 is a simple as install Mint, install 2 kona files, install Linuxcnc 2.9. Reboot and hold ctrl/shift.
Thats it.
Again just to be sure, i use Mint 64 bit Mate edition, never tested other versions.

More
08 Feb 2020 12:13 #156754 by freddie
It is mate 19.1. The boot message says the rt kernel has an invalid signature, whatever that means. I think I will wipe out 19.1 and install 19.3 and try again. I did not see the 2.9 version of linuxcnc but will check again. It is Mate 64 bit.

More
08 Feb 2020 12:24 #156755 by tommylight

It is mate 19.1. The boot message says the rt kernel has an invalid signature, whatever that means. I think I will wipe out 19.1 and install 19.3 and try again. I did not see the 2.9 version of linuxcnc but will check again. It is Mate 64 bit.

Wrong files.
Try these
simosnet.com/debian/packages/Konalinux/d...t5-kona-rt_amd64.deb
simosnet.com/debian/packages/Konalinux/d...t5-kona-rt_amd64.deb
Report back.
Thank you.

More
08 Feb 2020 12:32 #156756 by freddie
I had a feeling I had the wrong files since I was using them from your first post in 2018. I just burned a usb stick with 19.3 mate 64 and I will see how it goes. Thanks so much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Feb 2020 13:35 #156757 by freddie
Ok, I have mate 19.3 installed and running. I installed the headers and image from the links you sent. Do I need a new link for the kernel? And the link for linuxcnc 2.9. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds