Debian 11/ Bullseye / MX Linux 21 - how to run a buildbot AND RIP install?

More
10 Aug 2021 08:26 #217385 by rodw

I'm going to try sheetcam too and see if that works (it was not happy yesterday with some GTK issues.... maybe it will play nice or run it via PlayOnLinux

In this post on the sheetcam forum, Les sorted out my sheetcam problems, both the theme and also how to import a toolset that keeps its names...
forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8646
Gotta hand it to him. He gives amazing support!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2021 10:20 #217391 by tommylight
Title changed and moved to "installing LinuxCNC".
Is this OK ?

More
10 Aug 2021 13:06 #217395 by envyvan
Hi tommylight,

I currently runing Debian 11 on my Arm Soc Board of the projecet, And I try to use the method you shared in the post below:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...easy-install?start=0

after sudo gdebi libboost-python1.62.0_1.62.0+dfsg-4_armhf.deb
I don't get luck with sudo gdebi python-gtk2_2.24.0-5.1_armhf.deb
System like to tell me they won't like the Python 2.66 or 2.7 which I did not install them.
I try to use apt remove, but found nothing.
I also try to compile python 2.6 from Source with no luck.
Any Idea how I can solve it?

More
10 Aug 2021 13:23 #217396 by rodw
So I blew the Linux installation on my chromebook. This is my final list of dependencies
[b]s[/b]udo apt  install -y  debhelper  libudev-dev  python3-yapps yapps2 tcl8.6-dev  libtk-img bwidget tclx asciidoc  dblatex  docbook-xsl dvipng graphviz groff source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texlive-latex-recommended asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev python3-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev intltool gettext autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libtirpc-dev libusb-dev python3-gi python3-tk python3-pyqt5 python3-xlib python3-dbus python3-pip python3-pyqt5 pyqt5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools python3-pyqt5.qsci python3-pyqt5.qtopenGL python3-pyqt5.QtSvg python3-gi-cairo  python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 git geany python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit python3-opencv  librsvg2-dev python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-espeak libusb-1.0-0-dev libgtk-3-dev libgtk2.0-dev tk-dev dh-python inkscape python3-lxml texlive-font-utils texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish gdebi libreadline-gplv2-dev python3.opengl netcat
These Libraries may be requiredlibreadline-dev (might need to be used in place of libreadline-gplv2-dev above)
libeditreadline-dev Gmocappy opened but gremlin preview was broken because the Chromebook uses Wayland not X11 (if that means anything to you)

Hope this helps. I've now fully documented the process.

More
10 Aug 2021 13:28 #217397 by rodw
Also, after building, don't forget to set up the QT environment for QTplasmac by running this script.
~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/qtvcp/designer/install_script

More
10 Aug 2021 16:36 #217409 by robertspark
thanks all for your help plus renaming the topic (did not know I needed to do it on the 1st post, will do for next time)

if you feel the need to set up a proper thread showing the systematic RIP install and required dependencies for Debian 11 bullseye, please feel free.   

​​​what is the significance of the warnings noted in the terminal for Gmoccapy at QTPlasmaC.... do they need fixing (is it just functions that are deprecated in gtk3 and QT?)

I was trying to get the latency-histogram running last night (in the scripts folder and it did not seem happy (I just wanted to check the latency numbers, don't expect any issues as I haven't touched the bios and also use ethtool to get rid of the intel nic issue via the etc/network/interfaces file)

More
10 Aug 2021 16:41 #217410 by robertspark
there is a development release of sheetcam here which Les has updated in light of Debian 11 and sheetcam looking for a "version 7" library which is now version 8

forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8651#p29219
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Oct 2021 11:29 #222630 by rodw
Just a  heads up I installed Debian 11 on my production machine the last couple of days and followed pretty much what was documented above. Debian 11 only has Python 3.9 so there is nothing for linuxcnc to get confused about. My earlier Mint 19.3 based machine was stuck on Python 3.6 and Linux master branch needs 3.7 or above.

I used the non-free DVD ISO you can find here:
cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unoffi...-including-firmware/

grub-customizer is now included in the Debian distros so everything you need can be sorted via synaptic.

On my J1900 Baytrail chipset PC, isolcpus=1,2,3 idle=poll made an enormous difference to latency. from 186k to 22.3k with the internal wifi installed. A very interesting advancement I picked up off the forum here.

When I chose the GUI, I only chose XFCE and I found I did not have a GUI tool for network config. I think that was becasue I did not install gnome. I had to resort to using the config files to set a fixed IP for my mesa card.

Gmocappy did not run and I thought it was python3 compatible so I will look into that as I suspect I missed a dependancy.

One addition I did was to set up a FTP server whose home directory is the nc-files folder so I can upload files from Windows.

I'll try and document it all when I get a chance.

More
More
09 Oct 2021 20:35 #222686 by rodw
Robert, thanks That did the trick!

Final list of dependencies are:
apt  install -y  debhelper  libudev-dev  python3-yapps yapps2 tcl8.6-dev  libtk-img bwidget tclx asciidoc  dblatex  docbook-xsl dvipng graphviz groff source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texlive-latex-recommended asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev python3-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev intltool gettext autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libtirpc-dev libusb-dev python3-gi python3-tk python3-pyqt5 python3-xlib python3-dbus python3-pip python3-pyqt5 pyqt5-dev-tools qttools5-dev-tools python3-pyqt5.qsci python3-pyqt5.qtopenGL python3-pyqt5.QtSvg python3-gi-cairo  python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 git geany python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit python3-opencv  librsvg2-dev python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-espeak libusb-1.0-0-dev libgtk-3-dev libgtk2.0-dev tk-dev dh-python inkscape python3-lxml texlive-font-utils texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish gdebi  netcat libeditreadline-dev psmisc python3-opengl gnome-icon-theme

and:
pip3 install --upgrade setuptools
pip3 install PyOpenGL

This includes all the odd ones for pypvcp and QtPlasmac

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds