Debian 11/ Bullseye / MX Linux 21 - how to run a buildbot AND RIP install?

More
12 Nov 2021 12:05 #226216 by bevins

You might know this but I learnt the hard way recently is that when you are in the debian folder you can type ./configure uspace nodocs saves a lot of time... by not building for all the languages you can't read.

And use this to build them

[code]dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc --rfakeroot

Changes to the docs are pending publication...
[/code]

I knew there was an nodocs option like that but really never used it. I will try it and see how much faster it is. I never never use the docs on the machine, I always goto the online docs. But now since the debian stock rt kernel doesnt have support for my wifi dongles I use on machines I guess I might have to turn to using them though for the customer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2021 20:21 #226244 by rodw
Phil, after building the debs on Debian 11, I get a message from rip-environment script saying its only useful for RIP versions and it refuses to run.. I also thought RIP and debs could exist side by side but they don't for me.

Bevins, stick to using the debs for customers. When doing a RIP build you need to run the rip-environment script before you can use linuxcnc to set all the environment variables to point to linuxcnc. As Phil says, you can work around this to run from a desktop shortcut. But its great for testing and development.
One advantage is you can run multiple RIP instances if you are playing with code. (I have linuxcnc-dev and linuxcnc-pla)

Phil, I think i was confused about doc changes where the commit was pending but not approved.

More
12 Nov 2021 20:59 - 12 Nov 2021 23:02 #226245 by snowgoer540
The best advice for a customer machine would be to not use MX21, unless I missed the reason for the changeover, it would be better to stay on a Debian 10 based version (MX 19.4, etc.).

As for rip-environment, that’s not true for running base linuxcnc.  It would be true however before running halcompile, pncconf, etc.

running from terminal with this command sets the rip environment by default:
~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc <path_to_ini_file>
Last edit: 12 Nov 2021 23:02 by snowgoer540.

More
12 Nov 2021 22:53 #226250 by phillc54

Phil, after building the debs on Debian 11, I get a message from rip-environment script saying its only useful for RIP versions and it refuses to run.. I also thought RIP and debs could exist side by side but they don't for me.

I have just now tried it again here and it works fine but that is probably because of my workflow.
I only build packages occassionaly just to make sure I haven't broken something.
After I build the packages then I run an alias that does a clean/configure/build:
alias lmake='cd /home/phill/linuxcnc-dev/src && make clean && ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make -j$(nproc) && sudo -S make setuid'

Maybe I did that originally because of the issue you mention but I can't remember. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
13 Nov 2021 03:17 #226271 by rodw
Thanks for the work around Phil.
It would not normally be an issue but You and Greg are so prolific with your updates, 2 a day sometimes, I want some of the features so I am checking the changes and sometimes the commits to see if I need to update. I have never done so many rebuilds :)

More
13 Nov 2021 03:19 #226272 by phillc54
We like to keep you on your toes. :)

More
13 Nov 2021 13:23 #226317 by bevins

ok so I compiled the debs and installed master on Debian 11.  So the only way to get updated QTPlasmac is to recompile the debs and reinstall them when there is an update?

You might know this but I learnt the hard way recently is that when you are in the debian folder you can type ./configure uspace nodocs saves a lot of time... by not building for all the languages you can't read.

And use this to build them
[code]dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc --rfakeroot

Changes to the docs are pending publication...
[/code]

Whats the syntax? IT says unknown option nodocs

More
13 Nov 2021 13:35 #226319 by bevins

More
13 Nov 2021 19:00 #226348 by bevins
WOW, it's fast building with no-docs. Thanks rodw.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds