Debian 11/ Bullseye / MX Linux 21 - how to run a buildbot AND RIP install?

More
11 Nov 2021 20:16 #226139 by bevins
I got Debian 11 installed with new rt kernel.

I have the linuxcnc buildbot repository in there but it is not finding the package.

Is linuxcnc master available via Synaptics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2021 00:56 #226168 by phillc54
master is only available for Buster (Debian10)

More
12 Nov 2021 01:59 - 12 Nov 2021 01:59 #226173 by bevins
ok so I compiled the debs and installed master on Debian 11.  So the only way to get updated QTPlasmac is to recompile the debs and reinstall them when there is an update?

Last edit: 12 Nov 2021 01:59 by bevins.

More
12 Nov 2021 02:04 #226174 by phillc54
If you use Debian11 then that is correct, yes.

More
12 Nov 2021 05:12 #226182 by rodw

ok so I compiled the debs and installed master on Debian 11.  So the only way to get updated QTPlasmac is to recompile the debs and reinstall them when there is an update?

You might know this but I learnt the hard way recently is that when you are in the debian folder you can type ./configure uspace nodocs saves a lot of time... by not building for all the languages you can't read.

And use this to build them
[code]dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc --rfakeroot
[/code]

Changes to the docs are pending publication...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
12 Nov 2021 05:17 #226184 by phillc54
@Rod, is there any reason you don't use a run in place install?

More
12 Nov 2021 05:39 #226185 by rodw

I always did but when I went to the latest build for QTP on my machine, I decided to build the debs for the first time ever. I had do compile from  sourc e on Debian 11. Little did I know that once you do that, you can't just swap back to RIP in the same folder tree.

I've got RIP in another folder for any playing I do but I kinda like the novelty of having linuxcnc in the menus and not needing to run rip-environment.
The good thing is I found a couple of bugs that have been fixed. Now I found the nodocs flag the build time is much reduced..

I just don't understand why the docs on the website have not been updated on a few changes (including some of yours). I thought that was automated. Is it a manual process? If not something is sleeping...

More
12 Nov 2021 05:52 #226188 by phillc54

I always did but when I went to the latest build for QTP on my machine, I decided to build the debs for the first time ever. I had do compile from  sourc e on Debian 11. Little did I know that once you do that, you can't just swap back to RIP in the same folder tree.

Hmm, I don't seem to see that issue, I do both on the same repo.

I've got RIP in another folder for any playing I do but I kinda like the novelty of having linuxcnc in the menus and not needing to run rip-environment.

You can have a launcher on the panel and/or desktop to launch a rip version. With a little bit of work you can also add it to the menu

The good thing is I found a couple of bugs that have been fixed. Now I found the nodocs flag the build time is much reduced..

Yeah, I have always built packages without the docs, it makes a considerable difference. I always build rip without them as well unless I am testing some major doc changes.

I just don't understand why the docs on the website have not been updated on a few changes (including some of yours). I thought that was automated. Is it a manual process? If not something is sleeping...

I am not sure what docs you are referring to, according to the Buildbot the document builder is up to date.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/buildbot/builders/2000.docs

More
12 Nov 2021 08:21 #226200 by bevins
What is the advantages for rip version?

More
12 Nov 2021 08:33 #226201 by phillc54
Just that you only need to build it, compared to building the packages and then installing them.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds