Installing LinuxCNC on Debian 9 - 13

More
10 Apr 2023 17:32 #268763 by Gubby
Do you know if the uspace of 2.9 and 2.10 versions work with Ethernet cards like EC500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2023 18:25 #268771 by rodw

Do you know if the uspace of 2.9 and 2.10 versions work with Ethernet cards like EC500

Yes, the linuxcnc-uspace-dev in the bookworm repositories works with ethercat if you follow my sticky in the ethercat sction.
Support for individual ethernet cards is a matter for the developers of iGh etherlabmaster. I have not had any issues with the cards I have used including on  ARM CPU's such as Pi4B and Odroid N2+

More
16 Apr 2023 21:29 #269239 by CtodLinuxcnc
I had linuc cnc running on deb 11.6 but latency was awful. Could you link more info on the isolcpus? Think that would fix my latency?

Im about to five up and just run it on a pi

More
16 Apr 2023 21:58 #269242 by rodw
sudo apt install grub-customizer
sudo grub-customizer
second tab it will have a field that says quiet.
change that to:
2 core PC: quiet isolcpus=1
4 core PC: quiet isolcpus=2,3
Save, exit, reboot

Note if you have an older 2 core machine its well and truly past its useby so you may need to upgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CtodLinuxcnc

More
16 Apr 2023 22:05 - 16 Apr 2023 22:06 #269243 by CtodLinuxcnc
Thanks a bunch

This is what im using:

Beelink SER5 Mini PC with AMD Ryzen 5 5500U (up to 4.0GHz), 16GB RAM 500GB M.2 Nvme SSD Mini Computer Support 11 pro, Triple Display, WiFi 6, BT5.2, 4K a.co/d/5m7ESmz

I will re-install debian and give that a shot. Hopefully it works, am pretty burnt on installing amd re-installing os heh
Last edit: 16 Apr 2023 22:06 by CtodLinuxcnc.

More
16 Apr 2023 23:15 #269248 by rodw
Hmm 6 cores so It will be different and you'll need to experiment
 quiet isolcpus=2,3,4,5
 quiet isolcpus=3,4,5
 quiet isolcpus=4,5

The first one works well on my 6 core ARM PC 
I have no Idea about a Ryzen.

More
17 Apr 2023 00:50 #269252 by PCW
The EC500 is not Ethercat but rather a Mach3 Ethernet board that can work with LinuxCNC
if its stock firmware is replaced with "Remora"

More
17 Apr 2023 05:38 #269274 by CtodLinuxcnc
I forgot to install the realtime kernel…

After doing that my latency numbers were around 20k nanoseconds! Tried quite 2,3,4,5 and 4,5 but it didn’t seem to have a huge impact so I reverted.

The new kernel did cause freeze issues while shutting down and it ended up being done missing amdgpu drivers. I edited /etc/default/grub with some info i found online for readeon gpus and now I’m around 5k to 10k nanoseconds!

I’m very grateful to you for creating these instructions:

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-11-emc.html

They were a huge help. Didn’t realize it was you at first. Thanks so much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
17 Apr 2023 07:56 #269282 by rodw

I’m very grateful to you for creating these instructions:

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-11-emc.html

They were a huge help. Didn’t realize it was you at first. Thanks so much!

Thats not me. gnipsel is owned by John Thornton (J T on this forum)

I've never seen much point in installing on Debian 11 since Linuxcnc found its way into the Debian 12 Repositories. These are my instructions for Debian 12 Bookworm docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

More
17 Apr 2023 15:40 #269309 by CtodLinuxcnc
Man. That should be in the announcements (unless i missed it)… spent so much time trying to install 10 and get the firmware for my new machine merged with a bootable iso. I’m new to Linux so it’s been an adventure for me.

Right now 11 is the stable release though right? If I install 12 is that considered the unstable release?

I’m getting used to their release philosophy still… if 12 is bookworm does that mean it will be in the next stable 12 release?

Your linked directions look great. I noticed the bit about skipping root. When i tired adding a root password with 11 it seemed to “forget” what i entered because it did not accept it and i had to reinstall. One because i though it was mean and must have hit a key by accident, twice when i triple checked and made sure I entered what i thought i entered and it still didn’t work. Lol.

Also thanks for the correction, JT you are awesome.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds