Error install LinuxCNC to Debian 12

More
20 Jul 2023 19:21 #275910 by smplc
I typed 'raspi' in the search box of file explore but nothing recoverable.  Is please an alternative?

I powered-off and on the PC to boot into Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS to see if 'raspi' is recoverable because Ubuntu search explorer is more extensive both hard drives.  However, the boot Grub came up instantly and I tried to boot the Ubuntu OS but denied because the kernel needs to loaded.  This wasn't an issue before I installed Debian 12.  I wonder if it has something to do with the xfce-iso.  How do I get the Ubuntu kernel now and will it be recognizable upon booting next time?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2023 20:41 #275914 by tommylight
You are not searching inside the /etc folder.
Select file system on the left, double click on ETC, press CTRL+F, type raspi, wait, select all 3 files and delete them.

More
20 Jul 2023 21:44 #275916 by smplc
Thanks.  I finished installing the latest LinuxCNC.

Now, I still need to load the kernel for Ubuntu.  I see when doing the upgrade in the Debian terminal it showed 'Found Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (22.04) on /dev/nvme0n1p2' 'Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware settings ...' 'done'.  The NVMe would be my other internal hard drive and primary OS Ubuntu.  It's files appear intact.  That drive is accessible from Debian 12 either icon select or probably from the Debian directory.  The Ubuntu terminal maybe accessible from its directory too if known what file it's in.  Is a command and which one in the terminal to load the Ubuntu kernel?  Or.  Can it get loaded from the Grub menu and remain recognizable?
Attachments:

More
20 Jul 2023 23:08 #275918 by cornholio
How did you get any raspi files onto a amd64 system ? That is the thing that is worrying.

You should be able to choose the Ubuntu system from the grub startup screen, unless you have a timeout that does not allow you to.

This article will help you customise grub.

linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-grub-cust...ux-all-major-distros

More
20 Jul 2023 23:39 #275923 by tommylight

How did you get any raspi files onto a amd64 system ? That is the thing that is worrying.

He did not, it is an Debian issue, those files come in Mate always, XFCE lately, others i did not try.
So Rod is right on insisting it works as it did work earlier. Now it does not work, and this is not related to LinuxCNC in any way, any upgrade on kernel or adding any modules that require rebuilding the kernel gets those same errors.

More
21 Jul 2023 00:47 #275924 by cornholio
Funny never happened on the rc releases or stable release of bookworm with me. It has always been a really simple thing. Interesting .......

I'll have to have a look at the Debian Machine upstairs

More
21 Jul 2023 07:28 - 21 Jul 2023 07:29 #275938 by rodw
Sorry I  made an incorrect assumption based on an incomplete description  of the error.
I don't understand why you were using dpkg.

then we come to dkms errors. DKMS compiles drivers on the fly for all kernels in the system so that a kernel upgrade or selecting another on on the system in grub you are covered. But DKMS requires the header files.

I think if Debian made a mistake and included some ARM stuff, it would not be an issue as it would not build under DKMS.

I would not try to use Ubuntu with Linuxcnc. Stay loyal to our Debian partners!
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 07:29 by rodw.

More
21 Jul 2023 09:42 #275944 by cornholio
Seems to affect live iso, first post even has a solution. WTF happen at Debian ?????
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=155245

Net Install seems to be fine, which is what I use.

More
21 Jul 2023 09:51 #275945 by rodw

Seems to affect live iso, first post even has a solution. WTF happen at Debian ?????
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=155245

Net Install seems to be fine, which is what I use.

Ahh, that's why I have never seen this bug as I only use the net install and that is what's recommended to use in the docs. (which I wrote).
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html

Try and install on other ISO's, distros, Ubuntu, mint at your own risk!

More
21 Jul 2023 18:00 #275968 by smplc
Thanks.  However, the Ubuntu 22.04.01 remains installed.  Disabling Secure Boot at UEFI Firmware Settings allowed me to dual boot.  The Grub might require an update-grub if Secure Boot enabled.  www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/blog/classi...ting-grub-2-on-linux

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds