Parallel port stepper control and etherCAT I/O

More
12 Sep 2022 21:09 #251773 by rodw
The  trinamic TMC8462 looks an interesting solution for an encoder. About 1/3 of the cost of Beckhoff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2022 05:24 #251788 by CORBETT
O.R

KL will not work, different topology. I wish they did as they are cheap. I was going to try them just to confirm, but Dominik (db1981) has confirmed they do not work.

Also, even though it's ethercat, the BK models will not work either. Years ago, I picked up a BK1120 for $20 and was going to try it, but then found out it would not work.

Plus, once again Dominik confirmed that BK didn't, so I didn't waste any more time with it. Someone a few months ago re-asked this and he stated that it would not be workable, and he is one of the main EtherCAT professionals that helps us here. Whatever he states is correct.

Hope it helps.

Robert

More
13 Sep 2022 05:35 #251789 by CORBETT
Also forgot to add... Back years ago, Wago would not work, and I am not aware of any Wago devices in the code. If they have been added to the source code, I was not aware. I don't think the "generic" will work for them either, as Dominik corrected me on that a year or two ago.

Wago had very attractive prices years ago and I was all for better prices LOL.

Robert

More
13 Sep 2022 05:43 #251790 by CORBETT
RDA,

Have you gotten the trinamic TMC8462 to fully work with LCNC EtherCAT??? Like Rod said, it has a very attractive price as an alternative.

Also, have you had the Wago, encoder modules working??? I looked at this year's ago, but would not work.

Let us know, I stopped looking at Wago years ago, but you have my attention.

If so, please share your code.

Thanks,
Robert

More
14 Sep 2022 10:51 #251882 by RDA
I don't if you can mix them anymore (they used to be the same and you could mix them up). As far as I know, now days wago makes their own electronics so maybe its not possible to mix them anymore.

More
14 Sep 2022 10:53 - 14 Sep 2022 10:53 #251883 by RDA
I have never used the trinamic but always wanted to try it out some day. Unfortunately there too many "some day" projects :D

Wago I have never used with LCNC.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2022 10:53 by RDA.

More
14 Sep 2022 11:01 #251885 by RDA
Yeah especially the BoB is not that expensive to try and play around. Farnell is selling TMC8462A-BOB-ETH a bit over 50€.

If there were more hours in the day, or days in a week, I would get one just out of curiosity.

More
14 Sep 2022 11:14 #251886 by RDA
Yeah especially the BoB is not that expensive to try and play around. Farnell is selling TMC8462A-BOB-ETH a bit over 50€.

If there were more hours in the day, or days in a week, I would get one just out of curiosity.

More
15 Sep 2022 03:38 #251972 by CORBETT
RDA,

Ok, I was wondering if you had gotten Wago working.  There are Beckhoff terminal that don't even work with Sasha's code (I have a few that don't, such as the EL7201), just not supported yet.  I wish they all worked, Wago included as our life would be better LOL.   I'm with you on Wago as it is way cheaper.

More
16 Sep 2022 04:20 #252062 by CORBETT
O.R

Ok tonight I went back and looked at the EL1124's and they have a 2.2μs filter also.  BUT the EL1004 and 1008s have a 3ms filter.  So, there is no way the ms filter will work, but the μs filter may work at real low speed, but probably not at a moderate or decent speed.  I can see now why Dan was getting them to work compared to me with the 1008s, etc... there is a huge difference in ms and μs.

I never tried them, but now I am interested in setting up a test system with one to see.  I am extremely busy with work and will be out of town leaving next week until the end of the month, but when I get back, I will try it along with you (time willing, very busy).   I have a test system already setup with a 5101 that I test different things with.  I can adapt the 1124 pretty quick as would only need to change the XML and HAL very little and then move the encoder with pull-ups to the 1124. 

Don't forget, you may need a pull up resistor to get it working.  I had to do so on most all of my rotary encoder setups, but not sure on the linear setup you have.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds