7i92 + existing c11 multifunction board - Need validation

More
03 Aug 2020 16:46 #177057 by tommylight

To continue that example for a custom cable (assuming for example c11 used pin 14 for spindle speed, and mesa pin required pin 1) I would simply wire pin 14 from c11 to pin 1 on the mesa side. It might be opposite what I listed.

No need to wire anything, most Mesa firmwares for BOB's have PWM set at pin 14.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 21:25 - 03 Aug 2020 21:26 #177105 by gerritv

To continue that example for a custom cable (assuming for example c11 used pin 14 for spindle speed, and mesa pin required pin 1) I would simply wire pin 14 from c11 to pin 1 on the mesa side. It might be opposite what I listed.

No need to wire anything, most Mesa firmwares for BOB's have PWM set at pin 14.

True, except that he wants to use PathPilot sooner or later so the wiring needs to match Tormach's, and Tormach's 7i92 bit file. Unless of course the requisite editing of the hal file is done. (and those changes will be overwritten when he updates PathPilot to a newer version) Either way, something needs to change to line things up.

To my way of thinking making wiring changes is more predictable for a newcomer than editing hal files.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 21:26 by gerritv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Aug 2020 21:54 #177110 by tommylight
I must be missing something then....

More
03 Aug 2020 21:56 #177111 by PCW
Note that depending on which C11 board the OP has, it may not be
possible to use Tormach's hal file without some modifications...

More
04 Aug 2020 00:03 - 04 Aug 2020 00:04 #177129 by blitz355
Would you recommend starting with tormachs Hal, or starting with one of the bit files Mesa provides. Although it just struck me that these might be two separate issues. Do I flash the 7i92 with the c11 bit file THEN modify a tormach Hal?

I have the c11 multifunction board in the link found in original post.c11 rev 9.9. not the c11g
Last edit: 04 Aug 2020 00:04 by blitz355.

More
04 Aug 2020 00:47 #177139 by gerritv
My comments were made on the basis of your wanting to use PathPilot. If that is still the case then IMO I would alter the cabling etc to align with Tormach's 440 hal file. For the spindle this might or might nor require extra work, and as PCW indicated might need some editing in the hal file. The 440 7i92 bit file that Tormach supplies would get loaded.

The Tormach supplied hal and ini files are to me not simple. So I chose to do the 'use Tormach hal' method. I will have enough to learn about cnc as it is without adding hal editing to the list.

The above is how I approached it for my gantry mill build, frankly I had zero interest in figuring out LinuxCNC and hal files if I could avoid it. And so far that has worked for me. No editing to PathPilot files at all (because I did that work in the cable) and I have 4 axis working on the bench. Limit switches are disabled for now. My spindle is on or off so simpler than your situation. In a few weeks the machine will be finished and running, I hope :-)

Regardless of which path you choose, there is lots of help available here. PCW and Tommylight are tireless in their assistance.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds