Need help installing touch monitor on Pathpilot non Tormach Machine

More
12 Oct 2020 07:40 #185806 by BeagleBrainz
Unless you have the kernel sources and any patches that Tormach may have applied you won't be able to compile the kernel modules.
So unless anyone knows you may have to contact Tormach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2020 17:06 #185852 by nor2020
Ok, I didn't realize it was going to be this complicated and require recompiling to get the touch function to work.

I thought it was going to be simpler as I read the PDF driver guide and it said to copy Xorg driver modules and edit a file. The PDF file did say that PS/2 interface would require kernel rebuild but not USB.

More
12 Oct 2020 20:20 - 12 Oct 2020 20:35 #185873 by BeagleBrainz
Ok you read the docs, it seems you have an understanding. Give it a go. Just back up any files before editing. And use the 32 bit package.

But what you have to understand is that you bought a pre packages system that may not be easy or possible within their infrastructure to add “foreign” hardware. If you look at it from Tormach’s point of view there is a lot of hardware out there, many of the customers just want something that works out of the box. Now you can’t blame Tormach, to support “foreign” hardware would require a dedicated section to provide that support and how much would the average customer be willing to pay ?
The thing is some touch screens are easy to set up in Linux others are a PITA. Windows can be easier as that is the target market, if the manufacturer does offer any support it’s basic at best.
Add your unfamiliarity with Linux and it will seem like an uphill battle.
You may have to do some more research and try somewhere like cnczone.
Look I’m sorry you’re having trouble.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 20:35 by BeagleBrainz.

More
13 Oct 2020 00:53 - 13 Oct 2020 00:57 #185900 by nor2020
Update: After tinkering more with Linux, I was able to get the menu bar back.

I think I have version 7.0 of Xorg as I was able to locate the target folder based on what was said in the PDF file. It appears my system is 32bits. Also the egalax_drv.so driver file is already in the system so it seems the next step in the PDF states that I need to edit the the xorg.conf file which is a bit of a mystery for me as to where that file is and how to edit it....
Last edit: 13 Oct 2020 00:57 by nor2020.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds