Open Source Controller with internal THC

More
05 Oct 2020 09:55 #184951 by rodw

I am sure Linux is getting better at adding hardware, I have herd stories of people not being able to get printers working correctly, but I have not had an issue.

There is no excuse not to use networked printers in this day and age. In fact, I've used network printers exclusively for the last 15-20 years. Every network printer I've seen for the last 10 years or more are postscript capable, even the cheapest Brothers. You just need the PPD file to install them in Linux. Simple as. Recently, I installed a Raspberry PI4 on my network and it auto found and installed the printer driver for my Kyocera MFD without me doing a thing. I will say I will use Kyocera output devices exclusively moving forward. They are not much dearer than the Brother cheapies you get at Officeworks and are corporate grade quality. (After a Brother network interface died totally as I was using it one day!)

I remember reading an article a while ago about the backwards comparability of windows. Its pretty mind blowing what can still be run on modern windows.

Windows 10 obsoleted a $5,000 document scanner for me so I think you read lies. Thats certainly not been my experience....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2020 09:59 #184952 by thefabricator03

Windows 10 obsoleted a $5,000 document scanner for me so I think you read lies. Thats certainly not been my experience....

That is interesting, Was there no way to make the driver for the scanner run in backwards comparability mode?

More
05 Oct 2020 10:15 #184956 by rodw

That is interesting, Was there no way to make the driver for the scanner run in backwards comparability mode?

Too long ago to worry now but what annoyed me was after the free upgrade to win 10, what was not clear is you had 30 days to roll back to the old version (Win 8) but it was well after 30 days before I found out there was a roll back option so it was too late then..

More
05 Oct 2020 14:45 #184967 by Todd Zuercher
Technically Windows 10 didn't obsolete your scanner. The scanner's manufacturer did by not supplying new drivers compatible with Windows 10. MS takes no responsibility for maintaining drivers for any hardware. That is entirely on the hardware manufacturer to supply current drivers for their hardware.

Once you found out the problem, why didn't you simply reinstall the old version of Windows from the original install media or OEM backup partition? That will still work. Only the "role back" option expired, and half the time that doesn't work anyway, and you end up reinstalling the original anyhow.

More
05 Oct 2020 14:53 - 05 Oct 2020 15:13 #184968 by stivemaster13
Hi thefabricator03, I want you to know that I respect your opinion. From your point of view, maybe things look like this. But I don't think you're right. In fact, you barely even understood what I meant, right?
According to what you wrote, you look like a very above average Linux user. Very good of you, it would be to be broad-minded and to be able to easily get into someone else's shoes. Then of course you would know the statistics. on the question (you should be interested in this, right). Does anyone actually care how many people can compile themselves for a particular computer - LinuxCNC?
Then of course you wouldn't write that anyone could install the unfinished one left somewhere in the years of Linux (we won't argue since when the default screen and installer was made and it hasn't been changed until today), collecting it from different places on the Internet and supplement it with various additives to make it look like a complete CNC system.
On the other hand, if you try to understand me, you will see that while we can use a cheap resource from the Chinese, (the small pc I mentioned) it is good to create a LinuxCNC for them to increase the number of people who use it. This will only bring good to the community and its users. In the end, if it is developed by a specific programmer, we can help him sell it!
Only in this way, a good idea can be improved and acquire the qualities of a real CNC system, which, unfortunately, LinuxCNC is not yet. I will not go into details, because I am sure that I will need pages of text to explain my position.
I will only add that, in my opinion, until the real time is moved from the computer, the PC based CNCs will not move forward in their development. If this happens, the PC will stop being a problem and everything will be processed on the cheap and super accurate FPGA it will be ok.
Again, I want to point out that I am writing this with good feelings, despite the strange English!

P.P It is a pity that your opinion is this tommylight
P.P In fact, I originally installed LinuxCNC 2.7 on a MITAC 210 (because it has a DB25 printer port).This is how my metal mill works for several months.
Well, a great movie, until I understand the way of thinking of the poor man who created the HOME procedure ...:laugh:
Then I delved into installing thousands of nonsense created by different people to fix unfinished things, and finally I read so many unnecessary pages ....
Now I ordered two T95 Intel Cherry Trail Z8350 and I plan to try again - this time with Mesa 7I96 + THCAD
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 15:13 by stivemaster13.

More
05 Oct 2020 19:17 #184995 by rodw
I don't think thefabricator knew much about linux when he started with linuxcnc at all. What he knows he's learnt from necessity becasue the knowledge was required to use his chosen tool.

I can't see that Linuxcnc will ever move the CNC controller to a FGPA card. The Linux world is slowly moving towards joining linuxcnc with a real time kernel as there are now patches that can install the required PREEMPT_RT kernel on Debian and other distributions. Some of us had no choice but to compile the kernel from scratch.

This is driven by some major players (BMW is one) who require a real time OS. Ultimately, I believe that the Real time kernel will become the default for Linux across the board. Thats certainly my information. The PC is a very low cost component on the average CNC build. With the advent of compatible single board computers like the Raspberry PI and Odroid H2+, there is no need to throw out LInuxcnc's core in favour of an emasculated FGPA or other microprocessor. Linuxcnc supports remote network access. Why not embed an odroid in the machine and run it via a network connection? I its increasingly more likely that the linuxcnc model will gain greater recognition moving forward as the PREMEPT_RT kernel gains mainstream recognition becasue a PC has infinitely more resourced than a microprocessor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
06 Oct 2020 08:20 #185039 by stivemaster13
Hello rodw, you are somewhat right. But my opinion is that if the place of the computer is in the dashboard of the drivers, you will have a problem with the monitor (for larger machines, such as plasmas 6x2 meters, for example) - we have already done that, it is not good!
On the other hand, why should you get to pseudo real time if something else can be done - an easier solution. Which in the long run will allow LinuxCNC to no longer pour out of the computer. There are so many more important things to do , and we are still discussing real time. I think that the computer part should deal - with code analysis, traffic planning and creating a series of simple actions to be submitted through the FPGA buffer for execution. On board the FPGA there is real time and everything will happen just in time and with smooth and precise steps. FPGA will return "1-OK, 2-Ok, 3-Ok ...." and so LinuxCNC will refresh the toolpath as well as the DRO.

More
06 Oct 2020 08:56 #185040 by Himarc3D
What kind of problem you have with monitor?

More
06 Oct 2020 09:54 - 06 Oct 2020 09:56 #185043 by pinder
what i have been able to understand @stivemaster13 wants Commericial like embedded hardware with software from open source movement. Moreover, he wants to build and sell those solutions as propreitory(hiding linuxcnc); Like, the aussie masso cnc controllers.
I know this because I have been at that place.

Pay some programmers and pcb designers, you can get your thing working, you can even use linuxcnc and modify it as tormach does.

Thing is Commercial are commercial.
Making open software limited to a hardware is not a right thing to do.

10000$ hardware+software
or
200$ your own hardware + software
Choice is yours.

Dont blame linuxcnc for not making your dreams controllers easy enough.
Cheers,
Pinder
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 09:56 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

More
06 Oct 2020 10:02 #185045 by rodw

what i have been able to understand @stivemaster13 wants Commericial like embedded hardware with software from open source movement. Moreover, he wants to build and sell those solutions as propreitory(hiding linuxcnc); Like, the aussie masso cnc controllers.
I know this because I have been at that place.
Pinder

Is Masso Linuxcnc under the hood?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.656 seconds