Open Source Controller with internal THC

More
06 Oct 2020 10:30 #185047 by pinder

what i have been able to understand @stivemaster13 wants Commericial like embedded hardware with software from open source movement. Moreover, he wants to build and sell those solutions as propreitory(hiding linuxcnc); Like, the aussie masso cnc controllers.
I know this because I have been at that place.
Pinder

Is Masso Linuxcnc under the hood?

I highly suspect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2020 12:13 - 06 Oct 2020 12:13 #185056 by stivemaster13

What kind of problem you have with monitor?

Hello Himarc3D, but the problem is called HDMI at a length of 12-15 meters!

And as for your opinion pinder, you may not read what I wrote earlier - that it is good to put in official storage, ISO which is compiled specifically for this class, super cheap and mass-produced today by Chinese computers. If there is no opportunity, I can and myself to provide a place where it can be freely downloaded. And we're talking about a semi-professional controller all the time, aren't we?
The Masso example you gave is really proverbial, but it's not just them, but Sand, do you forget them?
Both companies too quickly believed that they were selling something completely professional and set prices far above normal.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 12:13 by stivemaster13.

More
06 Oct 2020 12:41 - 06 Oct 2020 12:42 #185058 by pinder

And as for your opinion pinder, you may not read what I wrote earlier - that it is good to put in official storage, ISO which is compiled specifically for this class, super cheap and mass-produced today by Chinese computers. If there is no opportunity, I can and myself to provide a place where it can be freely downloaded. And we're talking about a semi-professional controller all the time, aren't we?
The Masso example you gave is really proverbial, but it's not just them, but Sand, do you forget them?
Both companies too quickly believed that they were selling something completely professional and set prices far above normal.

What you propose that we should build On the fpga without CPU?
like chinese and other CNC controller.
Now I like your idea.
But it would be far more difficult, but doable.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 12:42 by pinder.

More
06 Oct 2020 13:25 #185067 by stivemaster13
Well, I know it's difficult, but it solves the main problem with real time.
What did I mean? Well, as I said, LinuxCNC analyzes the code, plans the tool path, the actions to be performed and divides it into elementary parts (packages). Then it sends them to the FPGA for execution. On board the FPGA, each pin is controlled with extreme precision, regardless of communication. FPGA will report again through a buffer the execution of each instruction (package), the position of the encoders or DRO and so on.

More
06 Oct 2020 14:00 #185073 by Himarc3D
Why you dont use the lan cable?
You look very experienced person, do you mind to share your electrical diagram, im trying to learn by others examples. its bit hard for me to know ANSI/RIA 15.06 or NFPA 79 so looking people who do it at real is more easy for me to follow.
Thank you

More
06 Oct 2020 14:59 #185083 by stivemaster13
Ha, well, you probably don't understand me. I'll explain again, giving an example. Here's a machine I'm making now and shortly before I finally release it. With it, what you see as a monitor is actually all in one, a touchscreen 17 "computer.
Imagine that the computer is in the dashboard with the drivers of the servomotors - it is on the back left and is not visible in the picture. The cable guides are 12.5 meters. Do you understand me better now?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, pinder

More
06 Oct 2020 15:20 - 06 Oct 2020 15:28 #185086 by pinder

Ha, well, you probably don't understand me. I'll explain again, giving an example. Here's a machine I'm making now and shortly before I finally release it. With it, what you see as a monitor is actually all in one, a touchscreen 17 "computer.
Imagine that the computer is in the dashboard with the drivers of the servomotors - it is on the back left and is not visible in the picture. The cable guides are 12.5 meters. Do you understand me better now?

I am sorry friend, I am not able to understand what you are trying to solve?

You mount your display on gantry.
What can go right?

All you need is a lightweight gantry,
A computer Screen fixed on the ground or table but not gantry.

For Marking Origin, you can use camera in PlasmaC or A wireless MPG with crosshair Leds with plasma head.

There are so many possibilities. I have made welding machines, Plasma machines and now working on Milling machine with ATC.
In future a laser too.

Hardware or software are not limitations in any way.

You dont want a mesa board, Fine.
Use a D525 motherboard, smaller than the mini pc you mentioned and a parallel port breakout.
you can build anything with that only.

Still if you want a pc on gantry. Use a small pc like odroid h2 on the back of monitor, and use mesa board in control panel and connect with ethernet, no 12 or 15M barrier there make it as long you want.

I know linux is difficult for some, so is building cnc machines. If you dont want to go in details, people can be injured due to you lack of control on your software.

It takes some time to get around things, for which these forums are helpful.
For the most time I never started a new thread, just reading old threads solved my problems.
Now I got bored from axis GUI, so I am building a GUI for plasma here on this forum. you can check MonoKrom

Possibilities are endless. Just dont reinvent the wheel.

If you dont want people to understand anything. Then mach3 is fine for most part.

But trust me friend, that software is 10 years old with no updates. A there are as many flaws as you can count.

You should be more interested in what you want to do.
If you can build or suggest something goodwith off the shelf coponents ( stay away from propreitory and licenced stuff), community will join you.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 15:28 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
06 Oct 2020 19:15 - 06 Oct 2020 19:19 #185118 by rodw

This design could be achieved quite readily and I have a similar idea taking shape. I am not keen on the all in one. In fact I just removed one and replaced it a stand alone 15.6" touch screen and Odroid H2+ PC. This gives you more flexibility to upgrade to an industrial quality Touch screen for extremely harsh environments.

To achieve this right now with Linuxcnc, all you need is a Mesa card to do all your IO and control the servo motors (7i95, 7i76e or similar) located in your out of sight control box.
1. You connect your PC to the control box using a simple ethernet cable.
2. You place a Mesa 7i73 with your PC to connect all of your external controls at the operator HMI panel.
3. You use a second ethernet cable to connect the 7i73 via smart serial RS422 to the main Mesa card in the control box.
4. You could run a third ethernet cable from the UART on the Odoid H2+ back to the control box where it could be used to connect to the RS485 interface on a Hypertherm plasma cutter so you can control amps and pressure. It would be possible to eliminate this third cable if you use the Mesa UART at the control box end to talk to the Hypertherm but custom coding would be required.
5. If you need to run a seperate estop circuit you could consider utilising the spare cables in the ethernet cable in 1. to trigger a safety relay.
6. You use the second ethernet port on the Odroid or a USB wifi dongle to connect the machine to the local network/internet.

I am happy to explore this further with you
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 19:19 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
06 Oct 2020 21:45 - 06 Oct 2020 21:59 #185144 by stivemaster13
Strange thing, the fact that I'm not English-speaking is obvious, but not understanding me to such an extent is already strange.
I tried to explain to Himarc3D what the problem with the HDMI cable would be, but in the end it happened that you don't understand me.
In fact, I have made over 50 machines - for plasma, gas cutting, metal and wood milling, lathes and welding manipulators and I am well aware of where and how the monitor, computer or controller can be placed.
With this machine I have deadlines that do not allow me to experiment, and believe me I have already conducted a lot of them, for example, more than a year continued my fiasco with a Russian - myCNC (LinuxCNC) with built-in THC. super unfinished, but for a solid price.
So this machine will be with Windows 7 + UCCNC.
The reason I write to you is far from my dream to appropriate someone's work, to have rights over LinuxCNC or something like that.
Rather, I'm interested in something else - we all know that the many Chinese manufacturers that have been breaking through recently, on cheap offline CNCs, have based their controllers entirely on LinuxCNCs. Is Western civilization aware of its backwardness and the fact that it has long since given up its initiative both in economics and in software development.
You will agree that the lack of development of the public LinuxCNC (On the official site the latest version 2.8 was uploaded less than a month ago) is very strange. Another strange thing is the lack of desire to produce hardware, that is, the lack of competition. I am directly referring to the ubiquitous MESA - for example, what exactly in the 7I96 card costs over $ 120. I use them and I am very happy. The quality of production is very good and works as the Chinese wrote. Well, it looks a lot more professional than a bare board right? If it could be used as FPGA of MESA ....
Couldn't we use the Chinese because they can best make cheap boards, and we could make our own drivers and use them?
Such a card has no reason to cost more than $ 50. When developing in the direction I wrote about earlier - PC + FPGA + THC / divider + relay block will cost less than $ 200.
Then a serious manufacturer, if he can think, understands that in order to have a good company controller, it is good to have a free version that allows people to buy cheap parts and assemble their own CNC controller. With the development of such a community, he will test the extras which he will then put in the paid version, which of course will have slightly more expensive parts in one box and most importantly with support !!!
We don't see anything like that, do we?

Have a nice day !
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 21:59 by stivemaster13.

More
07 Oct 2020 01:55 #185178 by pinder

again I am explaining only 2 things

1) mesa is not compulsory. you can work with parallel port. I also think it needs some competetion. +1 you for this.
People are working for new driver boards, I assure you that. You are also welcome.

You are right at some places. I think PC should only send instructions and rest of work should be on PLC or fpga. That should work, but real-time kernel is more important. CPU gives us opportunities like openCV, PlasmaC, Constant surface speed and many more. FPGA wont be able to do that on its own.

2) use a small pc on monitor's back ethernet will be 1M. Use ethernet card like Mesa an ethernet can be much longer
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds