Configuring Plasmac - a complete THC/plasma config for any hardware

More
11 May 2019 17:45 #133460 by JTknives
I am so lost
I have no idea what a joint is. I never deleted anything just used the files and added my pins. I’m almost to the point where I want to completely format the computer and start over agian from scratch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2019 18:04 - 11 May 2019 18:06 #133463 by JTknives
every time i update i get this error
twopass: Error in file ./plasmac.hal:
    Pin 'joint.3.pos-fb' does not exist
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
hm2_eth: HostMot2 ethernet driver unloaded
hm2: unloading

If I go into the plasmac.hal I find this is missing any refrence to Z.
# inputs
# the next line needs to be the joint associated with the Z axis
net plasmac:axis-position        joint.3.pos-fb                  =>  plasmac.axis-z-position 
net plasmac:axis-x-position      axis.x.pos-cmd                  =>  plasmac.axis-x-position
net plasmac:axis-y-position      axis.y.pos-cmd                  =>  plasmac.axis-y-position

but if I change that line to this the error goes away
net plasmac:axis-z-position        axis.z.pos-cmd                 =>  plasmac.axis-z-position

Am i messing up here by changing this?
Last edit: 11 May 2019 18:06 by JTknives.

More
11 May 2019 18:49 #133468 by rodw
For that pin not to exist, it sounds like you are running the standard 2.7 version of linuxcnc.
A joint is a motor and you might have 2 of them on a single axis on a gantry machine...
Joints do not exist in Linux 2.7, only in master branch (2.8)

When you run linuxcnc from the command line do you see 2.8 showing up on the splash screen or not?

Make sure you are following the commands to set the rip-environment at the very end of the first post.

More
11 May 2019 18:58 #133472 by JTknives
yes I set the environment first and i do see the the 2.8 on splash and says like pre 1 or some such thing.

More
11 May 2019 20:15 #133478 by JTknives
when i first ran the pncconf to make my working files i used 2.7 as thats what installed with copy of linux.

More
11 May 2019 20:21 #133479 by rodw

yes I set the environment first and i do see the the 2.8 on splash and says like pre 1 or some such thing.

Ok, phill mentioned it in his earlier post but there is a large section setting up joints missing from your ini file. It looks like the ini file has reverted to one from the sim. The reason why that joint does not exist is your ini file says you only have 3 joints (which are numbered 0,1,2) so joint 3 does not exist!
Here is the part of the ini file I'm looking at
[KINS]
KINEMATICS              = trivkins coordinates=xyz
JOINTS                  = 3

If you have a gantry machine it would have 4 joints and that section should look something like this
[KINS]
KINEMATICS              = trivkins coordinates=xyyz
JOINTS                  = 4

This is the joints section from my INI file....

Warning: Spoiler!

More
11 May 2019 20:36 #133480 by rodw
So now I understand. Joints did not exist in v 2.7. as they were tied to the Axes

I think I would run pncconf again with V 2.8 which will set all of the default joint settings. Alternatively, you could use an example setup I did a long time ago and updated it for you velocity and accelleration and machine size settings. It predates the multi spindle stuff. so the spindle has moved from motion.spindle-xxxxxx to spindle.0.xxxxx

forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...ranch-gantry-example

When I first set my machine up, I did not use pncconf, but copied a basic 7i76e config Islander261 published at the time.

But, I've since used pncconf and it worked out OK. you could just run it with rough settings and copy over your machine setttings (vel, accel, limits etc). I better update my first post!

More
11 May 2019 20:45 #133482 by rodw
Actually, first try making a copy of your original working config and run it from the chooser branch. With a bit of luck there will be a conversion script that notices the change and converts your files to 2.8 format. I've never done that as I've only ever run master branch

More
11 May 2019 20:49 #133483 by rodw
So the second post has been updated

Ok, this post might grow a bit but lets start getting it onto real hardware. At this point, I'm going to assume you have a basic working config on master branch (V2.8) that gives basic XYZ movement.

If you have your machine set up on an earlier version of Linuxcnc, you have a bit more work to do as there are significant differences in configuration of the machine between V 2.7 to V 2.8. There is a conversion program that should sense you've upgraded when you first run your old config. I have never run v 2.7 so can't really guide you. If all else fails, rebuild a working config using stepconf or pncconf and make sure it works before proceeding.

More
11 May 2019 23:28 - 11 May 2019 23:31 #133489 by phillc54
If your config was done in 2.7 then this may be worth a try.

Where it says:
[EMC]
VERSION                 = 1.1
Change it to something like:
[EMC]
VERSION                 = 0.1
Then when you run LinuxCNC it 'should' attempt to convert your ini file to a 2.8 compatible version.
Then, if you only have three joints, make the line:
net plasmac:axis-z-position      joint.2.pos-fb                  =>  plasmac.axis-z-position
It needs to be the joint that is associated withe the Z axis.
Then move this line from plasmac.hal to your machine hal file.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 11 May 2019 23:31 by phillc54.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds