Tumbler Build - For cleaning plasma cut parts.

More
15 Apr 2020 12:45 - 15 Apr 2020 12:46 #164057 by Clive S

Would it be as simple as wiring a Contactor in between the motor and VFD? And controlling the contactor with the VFD relay output? I am thinking I still need a way to stop the power in case the VFD malfunctions.

NO. I would not connect any switch between the VFD and the motor. Check the manual it usually states that.

You could issue a stop command to the VFD and put a contactor on the mains side of the VFD
Last edit: 15 Apr 2020 12:46 by Clive S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2020 13:34 #164061 by tommylight

Would it be as simple as wiring a Contactor in between the motor and VFD? And controlling the contactor with the VFD relay output? I am thinking I still need a way to stop the power in case the VFD malfunctions.

NO. I would not connect any switch between the VFD and the motor. Check the manual it usually states that.

You could issue a stop command to the VFD and put a contactor on the mains side of the VFD

That is very true, nothing between VFD and motor, switching those wires while the VFD is on will fry the VFD immediately .

More
15 Apr 2020 18:21 #164069 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
Also do not disrupt power from vfd. If motor is turning you have a good chance to kill the vfd by back-emv. If you feel (i think this a good idea anyhow) that you want to have mains removed from vfd do it via a time delayed relais.
m5c
Mike

More
15 Apr 2020 21:51 #164088 by thefabricator03
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will draw up a wiring diagram in the next couple days and you guys might have a look at it and let me know.

Tom, I am with you on the Timer,

Thinking maybe tie it to one of the digital inputs.
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2020 23:48 #164096 by tommylight
That should do nicely.
A simple wiring with two momentary buttons should be all it is needed, one NO and one NC. And a main switch for everything of course.

More
16 Apr 2020 00:01 #164098 by thefabricator03
I want to be able to control the rotation speed of the drum. I would think smaller parts could be done at a faster speed than larger parts. Not sure until I do some testing.

Before it is put into service, I will make a safety cage around it with doors that when open the motor will not be able to operate.

All adds a bit of complexity. I will get there though!

More
16 Apr 2020 04:04 #164109 by thefabricator03
Added the chain temporarily. The taper lock on the shaft is going to need a keyway cut into the shaft.

@ MachineDude: Any advice on cutting a keyway into the shaft already welded to the drum?

Attachments:

More
16 Apr 2020 04:45 #164111 by machinedude
things would have been a lot easier if the key way was done before the shaft was attached to the drum. now that it is welded to the drum you need a really big machine to cut the key way the way you have things now. might be able to cut it on a Bridgeport style mill with the Y axis if you can use a fork truck to hold it up while you cut the key way and maybe a roller under the other end of the shaft once you get things straight and on center so it can move with the table. i would leave the forks there to catch it if something would slip. doing something like that is not the safest way to do things. the safest way would be to pull the shaft out if you can? i'm not sure what machines you have to work with either?

More
16 Apr 2020 04:51 #164112 by thefabricator03
I was thinking a bit more agricultural than using a mill.

1mm cutting disc on a 5 inch grinder. Drill two holes either end the correct depth cut slot width underside and grind out center with 5 inch grinding disc. Then finish by had with a file.

Not fun but would be easier than taking the shaft out.

I am going to see if any of the local mining workshops around here have a machine to do onsite keyways. My guy who use to do a lot of on site line boring is not here today so I will ask on Monday.

More
16 Apr 2020 05:22 #164113 by machinedude
another option would be something like this but they are not cheap if you would have to buy one. but you would probably get your money out of one if you run into this kind of thing often.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds