THC - out of ideas

More
16 Mar 2022 00:37 #237415 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic THC - out of ideas

I just hope Phil and Greg pick a sensible point to stop the near daily updates to Qtplasmac leading up to this. It can't live in Development forever.

Says the guy who insists on being on the "bleeding edge"...

How is the development of MonoKrom coming along? I thought you had moved over to that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2022 00:45 #237416 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC - out of ideas

Of course, but hopefully soon master branch will be 3.0 not 2.9
???

Isn't that the whole point of a development branch? Eventually it becomes the release version and the version number increment. It would be nice if this coincided with the Debian Bookworm release :)

More
16 Mar 2022 00:54 #237417 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic THC - out of ideas
Yes, it is the point of a development branch and why we update the development branch. 
What has that got to do with your complaint about updates?

More
16 Mar 2022 01:01 #237418 by rodw
No complaints at all. That must have been your perception.

More
16 Mar 2022 01:10 #237419 by phillc54

I just hope Phil and Greg pick a sensible point to stop the near daily updates to Qtplasmac leading up to this. It can't live in Development forever.

In that case, what was the point of the above, QtPlasmaC will always be in the development branch and will always be updated.

More
16 Mar 2022 01:19 #237420 by rodw

Says the guy who insists on being on the "bleeding edge"...

How is the development of MonoKrom coming along? I thought you had moved over to that.

Monokrom has stalled a bit due to lack of time both of mine and the developer. I do like it though and its core is fully functional.
But one has to be ambidextrous around here with configs.

The so called bleeding edge is required for driver support of my hardware in later kernels. I got bitten early in the piece with the python2/3 debacle and while that has subsided, I don't want to run Python  2.7 anywhere. So Bullseye it is for me!

I have just finished an ethercat mill project which is still running on Axis. Being able to install both Linuxcnc and ethercat master from repos was quite exciting for me becasue the existing linuxcnc  ethercat master install uses an old repo and did not like Bullseye which I needed for driver support. Fortunately Grotius made a .deb for me.  The IgH etherlabmaster repo moved to gitlab but there is no need to build it becasue they have unofficial repos for all OS flavours and versions, not just Debian.

I found an air plasma cutter last night that has options for both RS485 and Canbus control. I'm wondering if this could be built into an ethercat machine...

I have  a plasma controller to build for a guy and it will be on QTplasmac as its more mature and has a bigger user base.

As I said before, we are only just scratching the surface with plasma and getting QTP out of master into a release version would propel it forward even further..

More
17 Mar 2022 23:11 - 17 Mar 2022 23:22 #237587 by samforsey12345
Replied by samforsey12345 on topic THC - out of ideas
Thanks for the help Rod and others!

As someone who is not conversant in linuxCNC, I would love a stripped back, stable QTplasmaC, integrated into linuxCNC basic install, which, provided an appropriate config and hardware is coupled with it, it would just do the basics. I think that is the point Rod is trying to make.

Just about pulling my hair out at this point. I am three full days in trying to get up to date. I tried going back to the master branch, but for some reason the networking manager failed to work properly, making it impossible to connect to the mesa. I spent about 4 hrs trying to connect to the mesa and failed to get anywhere from manually configuring the network file.

So i am back on debian bullseye. I have tried a combination of the link you sent and the commands you sent, but the best i can get is shown below from the terminal;

Cd ~
mkdir /dev
cd /dev
git clone github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git
cd /linuxcnc/debian
./configure uspace no-docs
cd ..
sudo apt install debhelper-compat dh-python autoconf gettext intltool libboost-python-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libmodbus-dev libeditreadline-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libxmu-dev python3-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev yapps2
dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
cd ..
sudo dpkg -i linuxcnc-uspace_ (tab)
bash: Cd: command not found
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/dev’: File exists
fatal: could not create work tree dir 'linuxcnc': Permission denied
bash: cd: /linuxcnc/debian: No such file or directory
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

dpkg-buildpackage: error: cannot open file debian/changelog: No such file or directory
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Where do i go from here? Any idea when the debian repositories will be updated to the latest linuxCNC? I may have to wait for that to happen.
Thank you,

Sam
Last edit: 17 Mar 2022 23:22 by samforsey12345.

More
18 Mar 2022 00:29 #237590 by phillc54

Any idea when the debian repositories will be updated to the latest linuxCNC?

That is unknown at this stage.

I may have to wait for that to happen.

If you need to be on Debian 11 or later then the options are:
  • Wait.
  • Build your own packages.
  • Build a run in place install.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

Looking back at your first post:
      If the actual feed rate does not reach the materials cut feed rate then the THC will not activate.
      VAD Threshold is the deactivate threshold. When the actual feed rate falls below this percentage of the materials cut feed rate then the THC will deactivate, it will not reactivate until the actual feed rate reaches the materials cut feed rate again.

More
18 Mar 2022 00:31 - 18 Mar 2022 00:33 #237591 by rodw
Linux is cas sensitve and all commands are usually lower case. I noticed you used an upper case C in
Cd ~
it should be
cd ~
This command should put you in your home directory 
I also got one command wrong 
mkdir /dev
Should be
mkdir dev
and be executed in your home directory,
The idea is that all of your source code and compiled deb files should end up in your
/home/<your_user>/dev
folder
Last edit: 18 Mar 2022 00:33 by rodw.

More
18 Mar 2022 00:34 #237592 by rodw
I suspect you have found out why I don't use the standard Buster ISO. It just does not have enough driver support for modern PC's

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds