No success obtaining value of encoder from THCAD-10

More
23 Nov 2022 19:50 #257503 by santy
Hi everyone.
Im using PlasmaC and a Mesa 7i96s board to control a plasma machine, with type 1 THC Configuration (voltage for Arc Ok and Thc signals).
I manage to move all axis, probe, and activate the arc, but the THC has an issue.
My voltage divider has a built in relay for triggering the plasma, so i'm using that. It outputs a 1:50 voltage division, but i am not obtaining any values in the encoder value. What could be wrong?     

Also, im using sheetcam Plasmac post processor, and the "probe sequence" is performing 2 probes for each pierce. is this normal? can i reduce the number to just 1 probe? 
Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2022 19:56 #257504 by santy
forgot to mention i wired it like this, from another post here.  
Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2022 21:28 #257514 by PCW
Can you see a change in the THCAD blink rate with plasma voltage
on/off?

Have you tried the F/32 THCAD option

(you will not be able to read full scale input with default
encoder settings and the THCAD set for DIV1)

More
23 Nov 2022 23:11 #257525 by santy
ok im going to try this now.ill change the switch to f/32 and do a test with 100mm line and update it soon.

More
23 Nov 2022 23:16 #257526 by rodw
If you look at the encoder velocity in halshow and its not bouncing arround near 3800 (eg its static), there are some settings missing in your hal file. I think they are covered in the Plasmac docs.

More
23 Nov 2022 23:33 #257528 by phillc54

Also, im using sheetcam Plasmac post processor, and the "probe sequence" is performing 2 probes for each pierce. is this normal? can i reduce the number to just 1 probe? 

You will get two probes if the probe height is below the top of the material.

More
24 Nov 2022 18:00 #257567 by santy
i believe i might be missing the frequencies and some other values which are asked by a prompt in QtPlasmaC. But im using PlasmaC only, which only asks for the voltage encoder port.

i wouldn't know how to change these values in the hal file directly, so i am trying to switch to qtplasmac (which seems to have an even better user interface)

Tried running " qtplasmac-plasmac2qt " in a terminal to switch from plasmac to qtplasmac but the command didnt work.

More
24 Nov 2022 18:37 #257570 by snowgoer540
Seems like you’re just starting out, so I recommend using pncconf and choosing qtplasmac as the screen which will do everything for you, including the calculations for the thcad.

More
24 Nov 2022 19:16 #257572 by santy
i had no idea pncconf had a pre-made config for qtplasmac. thank you, will try now.

yes I'm starting out on linuxcnc! i have a bunch of old non-functional industrial machines; mills, plasma oxy, lathe, and a bunch of others my dad left me a few years back, and have decided to retrofit most of them. the first one is plasma and oxy and the next will be an ATC mill retrofit.

More
24 Nov 2022 20:09 #257576 by santy
guess i'll have to update from linuxcnc 2.8 to 2.9.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds