No success obtaining value of encoder from THCAD-10

More
27 Nov 2022 19:14 #257753 by santy
Do you mean this ? 
Should i try to paste this "somewhere" along the hal file in order for it to work? 
loadrt encoder num_chan=1
setp encoder.0.counter−mode 1
setp encoder.0.position−scale -1
addf encoder.update-counters base-thread
addf encoder.capture-position servo-thread
net arc-voltage-raw parport.1.pin-04-in encoder.0.phase-A

If you look at the encoder velocity in halshow and its not bouncing arround near 3800 (eg its static), there are some settings missing in your hal file. I think they are covered in the Plasmac docs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2022 19:33 #257756 by snowgoer540

Do you mean this ? 
Should i try to paste this "somewhere" along the hal file in order for it to work? 

That is the example for a parallel port, I thought you stated you had a 7i96s.

I thought you were moving over to QtPlasmac? Yes, that does require you to be on 2.9, but you also get to use the pncconf that has qtplasmac as a screen by default. That will do all of this for you.

I made a guide that in addition to installing MX Linux, may help you get QtPlasmaC going. You mentioned you are pretty new to linux, so following the guide as a whole may make the transition a bit easier for you.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...red-toward-new-users

More
27 Nov 2022 19:53 #257758 by santy

Do you mean this ? 

That is the example for a parallel port, I thought you stated you had a 7i96s.

I thought you were moving over to QtPlasmac? Yes, that does require you to be on 2.9, but you also get to use the pncconf that has qtplasmac as a screen by default. That will do all of this for you.

I made a guide that in addition to installing MX Linux, may help you get QtPlasmaC going. You mentioned you are pretty new to linux, so following the guide as a whole may make the transition a bit easier for you.

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/45381-linuxcnc-install-using-mx-linux-19-4-geared-toward-new-users

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the existence of your guide. It does seem really well-built. I just started downloading 19.4 and will start it today!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
27 Nov 2022 20:14 #257760 by snowgoer540

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the existence of your guide. It does seem really well-built. I just started downloading 19.4 and will start it today!

Good deal, hope it goes easy/you enjoy!

More
28 Nov 2022 12:06 #257840 by santy

Good deal, hope it goes easy/you enjoy!

hey! most of it seemed to be straightforward
the first pc i tried didn't work, because it wouldn't come out of a "live session" in the usb stick, and the BIOS removed the hard drive as a bootable option (lmao), so i kinda gave up and started with another pc.

this new pc worked, and the os boots without usb stick like normally. BUT i cant access some websites like github or others, but facebook, youtube or google work just fine. it's really weird. tried lots of things available online and the same happens. i'm connecting to internet via ethernet cable, as the desktop pc doesn't have wi-fi. also tried plugging in a usb wi-fi dongle but it must require some further configuration on linux that i don't know how to do.

i was stuck in the github/mesaflash part, but i downloaded it with another pc and managed to perform sudo make in the folder.

now im trying to install  linuxcnc from --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com but "network is unreachable" even though i can access most websites from the browser, but not some other websites like github.

any way i can download linuxcnc from windows computer, put it on a usb stick and run the installation on linux? this worked with mesaflash.

sorry for the trouble.

More
28 Nov 2022 12:20 #257841 by snowgoer540
I am a bit confused as to which OS you are actually trying to install.  Here you said you were going to follow my guide and were downloading MX Linux 19.4, but over here: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...th-no-success#257747 it looks like you are using the regular buster.iso distribution.  I abandoned the regular buster iso as I found it difficult to work with at the time.  Plus, it gave me network issues (different than what you describe, but issues nonetheless) that dont occur with MX Linux.

Without a network connection, it will be difficult for you to proceed.

More
28 Nov 2022 12:26 #257843 by santy

I am a bit confused as to which OS you are actually trying to install.  Here you said you were going to follow my guide and were downloading MX Linux 19.4, but over here: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...th-no-success#257747 it looks like you are using the regular buster.iso distribution.  I abandoned the regular buster iso as I found it difficult to work with at the time.  Plus, it gave me network issues (different than what you describe, but issues nonetheless) that dont occur with MX Linux.

Without a network connection, it will be difficult for you to proceed.

im sorry. this is me getting desperate for a solution. in that post i was still using debian, but now i am using 19.4, which is giving me all these network problems.. tried changing the mtu from 1500 to 1400 and to 6000, but network is unreachable for most websites.

More
28 Nov 2022 12:41 #257847 by snowgoer540
I'm not sure on the network issues, I've not heard of that before. I also only use wireless.  I've never messed with any network settings other than what's in the guide.

Are you using the English locale?  I doubt a different locale is causing the problem, but just asking because it popped into my head. 

More
28 Nov 2022 13:06 #257852 by tommylight
In a terminal, what does
ip a
Return?

More
28 Nov 2022 18:41 #257879 by santy

I'm not sure on the network issues, I've not heard of that before. I also only use wireless.  I've never messed with any network settings other than what's in the guide.

Are you using the English locale?  I doubt a different locale is causing the problem, but just asking because it popped into my head. 

Hey. Managed to do it. all axis moving, outputs working and everything.
just a weird problem that everytime i reboot the pc i need to go on "Edit Connections" and reconfigure the network otherwise it doesnt detect the board.
Next step is configuring the THCAD but for that i need to turn on the plasma generator and compressor so i'll wait until tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the support!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds