More Z-Axis Issues

More
23 Nov 2019 00:13 #150992 by MakingStuff
Replied by MakingStuff on topic More Z-Axis Issues

If adjusting the above doesn't fix it then you may need to do some Halscope traces so we can be sure of what is happening.

Ok, I'll work with it more this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2019 00:19 #150993 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic More Z-Axis Issues
Thanks for persevering, I'm sure we will get it sorted.

More
23 Nov 2019 02:53 #151003 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic More Z-Axis Issues
Proma THC150 does not have a settable lower limit, just the upper one.
You should check:
-the electrode to nozzle distance, get a piece of thin wire and put it through the hole in the nozzle, check how deep it goes. It should not go over 5 or 6mm.
-the torch height after probing, switch the plasma off, do a probe and check how far is the torch from the material. Some plasma cutters have a hard time transferring the arc from anything above 3mm, some do that easily at 6 or 7 mm.
-the pierce height should be 2 to 4 mm if the plasma can handle it.
-the cut height should be from 0.8 to 1.4mm depending on the torch, nozzle, power and some other stuff.
-grounding, this is the single most important thing in any plasma cnc. Check that you have proper grounding, can be done by just firing the torch in the air not near anything but about 1 meter away from computer and electronics, check the computer while it is sparking, any mouse or keyboard malfunction, screen blanking or flickering, any movement of any motors on the CNC, the grounding is NOT properly done.
The issue you describe is most commonly caused by improper grounding, especially the "computer not responding after the fact" part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
23 Nov 2019 03:28 #151005 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic More Z-Axis Issues
Just recapping here. The plasma cutter always knows if it has an valid arc or not. If it has a valid arc, it turns on a signal to tell the CNC controller that its good to go. If you are synthesising the ArcOK signal on the Proma and using that to tell Plasmac its good to go, you can get a false signal that is out of step with the plasma cutter's state.

I don't think you can trust the Proma's ArcOK signal.

More
23 Nov 2019 04:36 #151010 by MakingStuff

I don't think you can trust the Proma's ArcOK signal.

I used the Arc OK signal on the Proma with the Harbor Freight cutter and it worked fine but I was not using the Voltage Divider input. I was using the actual voltage input on the Proma so it may behave different.

I'll mess with it more over the weekend and see if the actual signal works better.

More
23 Nov 2019 04:41 #151011 by phillc54
If you are using the 50:1 divider on the PM45 then the Proma would need to be set for the same ratio or if it just measures voltage then it would need to be a vey low voltage.

More
05 Dec 2019 01:32 #152033 by MakingStuff
UPDATE:

I got all the parts that I needed to use the ARC OK signal from the Hypertherm. It seems to have fixed the problem with torch turning off at startup. I made several small cuts with the correct pierce height and did not have any issues.

More
05 Dec 2019 01:36 #152034 by phillc54

UPDATE:

I got all the parts that I needed to use the ARC OK signal from the Hypertherm. It seems to have fixed the problem with torch turning off at startup. I made several small cuts with the correct pierce height and did not have any issues.

Glad you got it working, thanks for letting us know.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds