Plasmac install.... Windows convert from start to finish

More
20 Feb 2020 08:59 #157958 by phillc54
I have been using Debian since Wheezy and never had a driver issue (that I can recall)
The only issue is Debians policy of not having the non-free drivers on their default install and that is easy to get around. You can also have the benefit of later versions of everything via backports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2020 09:21 #157959 by robertspark

Robert, that git error is strange as that is exactly what I typed today and it worked perfect. I took it from here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/code/building...cnc.html#Quick-Start

I have not got a proxy server or anything like that.

Running it on a standard UK home broadband connection via a broadband router (tomorrow will be another story as it's being changed to a fiber connection / router) .... but same principle.

In the past I have set it up with / on mint, but I decided to take Rods advice and be a novice user and set it up by the book and see how easy it really is (I must be honest I've been caught out by this before which is why I went the Mint route and setting up the RT kernel etc..... I am just trying to be a novice user and fish out if there are issues and where they may be with the idiots guide instructions)

Remember Windows is just click to download, click to install..... then its all about setting ports and pins etc
I have dabbled on linux from time to time, but I JUST wanted to do this by the book / instructions as a new convert may do / face it.

It's being installed on a 2nd SSD HDD so I'm not concerned about starting from scratch again etc.

It is being setup via a wifi connection with the initial install boot from USB memory stick.

More
20 Feb 2020 09:27 #157961 by robertspark
out of curiosity .... I'll try this aswell this evening just to see how easy it is / can be to do.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=40#157931

More
20 Feb 2020 09:29 #157963 by phillc54
Do you recall the exact error message you got when trying the Buildbot install.

More
20 Feb 2020 09:32 #157964 by BeagleBrainz
I was just going to suggest that.

It's exactly the same as installing Mint. Linuxcnc can be run from the Live session before installing.
If you do have any issues, remember to follow the instructions and use the suggested utility to put the image to a USB stick, please post them on the thread.

More
20 Feb 2020 09:32 #157965 by rodw

Do you recall the exact error message you got when trying the Buildbot install.

Yes Robertshared a screen dump of the messages. dirmangr and an oscure git connection refused error

More
20 Feb 2020 09:35 #157966 by phillc54
sudo apt-get install dirmngr

will fix that

More
20 Feb 2020 09:43 #157968 by rodw
Robert, Really, Beagle's ISO Mint install is probably the easiest path now to get PREEMPT_RT for a mesa ethernet card and it installs V 2.8 which gives you Plasmac out of the box. The Mint ISO install is by far the smoothest OS install I've seen.

Just make sure you check third party drivers so any non open source drivers from manufacturers are included. Also turn on Auto login. It knew where I lived so set all the time zones up for me even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
20 Feb 2020 09:57 #157971 by phillc54
Or even Phills Devuan with 2.9 ?

More
20 Feb 2020 10:48 #157974 by robertspark
Gents

My point was to follow the (plasmac) instructions and see where it got me..... if there is a "better" way.... should they not be within the instructions for a Windows Numpty like myself to just follow (copy + paste into the terminal).

The way to expand the user base and capture some of the windows users is to show how easy it is to set up.

Linux has always been (and that is GOOD) and will always be a tinkers / tuners / dabblers / modders or whatever you want to call it paradise (I wish I had more time to play).

If the Mint + linuxCNC distro installs easier (or Phills Devuan) then the idiots guide should list those as options (if you have a problem with the default install route)...... but the default install route should not have any issues or windows users browsing for a change from Mach3, Mach4, UCCNC, whatever CBA with much more than click+click + copy paste ..... setup done....
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds