Plasmac install.... Windows convert from start to finish

More
20 Feb 2020 16:43 - 20 Feb 2020 16:45 #158028 by robertspark

I'm curious on that front... How does CandCNC charge for the module they place on top of LinuxCNC? I dont understand how that is allowed. Furthermore if it IS, why doesnt Tormach do similar for PathPilot?

Don't know about Candcnc as i never dealt with them ever.
But i know Tormach sells PathPilot for 35$ on a USB, and that is very good value and you get a nice GUI with it.

I didn't think that Tormach "sold" pathpilot..... I know your can buy a memory stick upgrade from v1 to 2.0 but I've not seen where your can buy the $35 pathpilot on a memory stick
www.tormach.com/pathpilot/
www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=38249

(I've heard about it before, but never found a link)
Last edit: 20 Feb 2020 16:45 by robertspark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2020 18:22 #158039 by tommylight
That is an ready made image, so it is a full install, always. They also have a video on how to save the config to a usb stick before imaging and restore it later. as it will wipe everything.

More
20 Feb 2020 18:40 - 20 Feb 2020 18:41 #158041 by rodw

It seems like you are missing the point.... the point was:
a) follow the instructions given in the plasmac documentation to install a working installation
b) see how easy / idiot proof it was.

whether you want other users to try plasmac or not is not really important to me, I was simply trying to follow the instructions and it should "just work"..... that is what most people expect these days

www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29831#p180258

Yes its not the easiest to get going but Linuxcnc is a lot easier to get going today than when I started 3 years ago. You can just download an ISO, burn to a USB stick with win32diskimager and install it in half an hour, update to master branch via the Synaptic control panel and plasmac is there ready for you to install on live hardware as its part of the core distribution. Sure you might stuff up a few times but you will solve all the problems if you just read the docs and then ask for help if it still a problem.

Except you are missing the point that plasmac is not included in the distribution version of LinuxCNC so an upgrade is required. But the stage is set and when the distribution moves to a new version, Plasmac will be installed for everybody that chooses to install Linuxcnc.

Its good you followed my advice, you stuffed up, you asked for help, you were shown exactly how to finish it off and then it seems you can't find the six minutes required and report back becasue it did not work out of the box.

And your comments to me on the same thread you quoted me earlier seems to kind of sums up your feelings.
www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29831

Rod, some people just do not like or understand or want to understand linux. Yes I understand and fully appreciate that linuxcnc can be installed from bootable disk / usb..... but when you are use to windows, apple etc.... getting out of the comfort zone can be difficult.

But people who are considering building or upgrading a plasma table need to be fully informed about options. Let them choose their own way forward and don't try and make their decision for them. A surprising number of people have done that and and will never go back to Windows for CNC or for plasma control. Some won't even go back to Windows for their personal PC's

Plasmac is one of the cheapest options for THC/Plasma control yet delivers superior results to alternatives costing thousands according to some users here. You can skip the Mesa hardware and get under way for <$100 for a THCAD and a Parallel port. But you have to get out of the comfort zone...
Last edit: 20 Feb 2020 18:41 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
20 Feb 2020 19:09 #158044 by snowgoer540
Perhaps off topic... but if I want to go from 2.8 to 2.9, is that difficult?

Also, having experienced a windows based CNC controller, and the associated crashes with the software losing priority.... I'll never go back. LinuxCNC is pretty awesome, even if it did take me 2 hours to figure out how to change the time one night LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
20 Feb 2020 19:16 #158046 by bbsr_5a
learning a New system is always a chalenge and changing also the Operation System as well
if you got alredy a jointsetup the 2.9 may only ask for a postgui error sutch as LED or Jog connection

More
20 Feb 2020 19:26 #158049 by tommylight
Hmmmm missed the part about windows being the "comfort zone" !!! What the.......
Picking just one of many, many real life examples that windoze is absolute BS compared to Linux, any Linux in the last 10 or more years:
Installing a mining rig with Linux takes about 35 to 45 minutes TOTAL!
Same thing on windoze, 4 to 8 hours !
It is beyond me how people go around saying "everything works in windows" !!! Nothing works! Nothing. Everything has to be installed and messed with and certified and rebooted a million times.......and ............and...

Same with Mac's, tied to a f...

More
20 Feb 2020 19:30 #158050 by robertspark
Install dirmngr using the following command.
$ sudo apt-get install dirmngr --install-recommends

blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2017/11/02/how-to-fix-missing-dirmngr/

fixed my issued with

rob@LINUXCNC:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E
[sudo] password for rob:
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.aZsdTeQhOT/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E
gpg: failed to start the dirmngr '/usr/bin/dirmngr': No such file or directory
gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/tmp/apt-key-gpghome.aZsdTeQhOT/S.dirmngr' failed: No such file or directory
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No dirmngr

may want to add that to the plasmac guide

More
20 Feb 2020 19:34 #158051 by rodw

If its a standard installation, Just follow the Synaptic steps in Phill's Video posted earlier on this thread. Just check if he installed master. If not, you might need to get the correct repository info from buildbot.

If its compiled as a run in place install its even easier. From the command line navigate to the source directory (usually ~/linuxcnc-dev/src) and type;
git checkout master
make
sudo make setuid
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
20 Feb 2020 19:48 #158054 by rodw

blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2017/11/02/how-to-fix-missing-dirmngr/

may want to add that to the plasmac guide

Its really a Linuxcnc issue, not for Plasmac. Phill thinks the keys are no longer a requirement so is working with the dev team to update the buildbot page with revised instructions. No point making the job any bigger than it really needs to be for new users.

More
20 Feb 2020 20:33 - 20 Feb 2020 22:59 #158061 by phillc54

robertspark wrote:

I did mention that on this post forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38420-plasmac...inish?start=0#157920
And this one forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38420-plasmac...nish?start=20#157966

tommylight wrote:
Same with Mac's, tied to a f...

I love my Macs

snowgoer540 wrote:

As Rod said
Last edit: 20 Feb 2020 22:59 by phillc54.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds