Plasmac install.... Windows convert from start to finish

More
21 Feb 2020 05:12 #158086 by thefabricator03

LinuxCNC is pretty awesome, even if it did take me 2 hours to figure out how to change the time one night LOL

LOL, I have been there in the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2020 05:27 #158087 by thefabricator03

I'm curious on that front... How does CandCNC charge for the module they place on top of LinuxCNC?

I am not sure how they do it, but you need a license to use CommandCNC and another license to use their HyT-Connect. I have both but wish I did not.

I cant remember why they have a license for CommandCNC but the HyT-Connect is their propietary RS485 connection to Hypertherm plasma units.

When I first brought my CandCNC controller, I did not purchase the HyT-Connect system which is a cable from the plasma to the controller hub. The sad thing is the license is included in the price but when I purchase the kit I did not receive a license. I assumed it would be on a usb stick when the parts arrived in Australia from the US ( about 2 weeks). When they arrived there was no USB. I contacted them for the license but did not receive a reply for around 4 days. It was a sign of things to come.

More
21 Feb 2020 05:53 #158088 by rodw

When I first brought my CandCNC controller, I did not purchase the HyT-Connect system which is a cable from the plasma to the controller hub.

So Stefan what has your cable from the plasma to your new controller cost this time around?

As an aside, I think there would be ways for a commercial entity to integrate their own code module into Linuxcnc in a stand alone way. But its so obscure nobody really knows about it.

I have done this once in the past where a stand alone program that was not a derived work but used the open source program in a way that neither program was broken if one was removed. But the licence conditions have changed since then!

You just have to look at the compliance statements on D-Link routers and the like to see it being done.

More
21 Feb 2020 06:54 - 21 Feb 2020 06:59 #158089 by thefabricator03

So Stefan what has your cable from the plasma to your new controller cost this time around?

So roughly

5 core cable from machine to controller - $40 for a 10 meter roll but I use about 5 meters,
Connectors - Plasma unit came with connector for unit and I used a connector to PCI card from the failed USB to RS485 unit I tried,
$ ~ 10
Boot lace crimps - $3.00 a pack
Most people wont need to do this but I used hydraulic spiral wrap on my cables that are on the floor in my industrial workshop $40 for 5 meters.
PCI RS232 card - $40 from ebay.

So for about $133 AUD I have a quality RS485 link between my Hypertherm plasma and controller running PlasmaC. The CandCNC setup cost near $900 AUD with shipping.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2020 06:59 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, rodw

More
21 Feb 2020 13:14 #158130 by snowgoer540

I'm curious on that front... How does CandCNC charge for the module they place on top of LinuxCNC?

I am not sure how they do it, but you need a license to use CommandCNC and another license to use their HyT-Connect. I have both but wish I did not.

So I am curious... do they obscure their code somehow? Or can you see it? I'm also curious how they do their dynamic control for the Hypertherm. It would be awesome to have that as part of Plasmac. Well, assuming it works well, I assume you've experienced it?

Also, I just got my serial kit for the hypertherm. Do you have a link for the card you recommend for the comms? Curious why you went RS232 instead of RS485 for the card?

More
21 Feb 2020 14:54 #158135 by bbsr_5a
hi your hypertherm also got a CPC21 Connector to run only on Switches/relay signals
does this work with your controller so you can work in first place
on auto mode it controlls almost the gas presure and the Arc voltige on its own and gives out a Up/Down/Arcok as well as 0-10V to a externel thc

its just a production gimmic to set the values from RS232 in real world you will know what sheed you placed

More
21 Feb 2020 15:56 #158140 by rodw

hi your hypertherm also got a CPC21 Connector to run only on Switches/relay signals
does this work with your controller so you can work in first place
on auto mode it controlls almost the gas presure and the Arc voltige on its own and gives out a Up/Down/Arcok as well as 0-10V to a externel thc

its just a production gimmic to set the values from RS232 in real world you will know what sheed you placed

Thats not really how the Hypertherm Circular connector works. It has pins for torch on and off, arcOK dry relay, and torch voltage. Their RS485 basically allows you to control amps an dpressure from the machine. Their bigger machines run on MOdbus via Ethernet and all the data and controls you need are on the system bus

More
21 Feb 2020 22:23 #158157 by phillc54

I'm also curious how they do their dynamic control for the Hypertherm. It would be awesome to have that as part of Plasmac. Well, assuming it works well, I assume you've experienced it?

After reading the following from the bottom of page 6 Hypertherm application note 807220 :
"Real-time updates are not recommended because system response times vary based on the application being performed and the commands being issued. Powermax systems enable you to update some control settings – such as cutting current and gas pressure – even while the torch is cutting. However, testing should be performed to make sure that system response times are adequate for your applications."

It confirmed my decision against GCode parameters to change current or pressure while cutting as it is probably not going to be reliable. It is after all only a slow Modbus link.
We could theoretically send the command then wait for the correct response but there is no guaranteed time frame for this so what do we do during this time gap?

If a few of you guys using Hypertherm machines think it is needed then I will take another look but I won't react to complaints about reliability as I believe it would only be a "sales gimmick".

I think if you really "need" this feature then you should be using a higher end machine that does it properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
21 Feb 2020 23:28 #158165 by tommylight

More
21 Feb 2020 23:42 #158166 by snowgoer540

I'm also curious how they do their dynamic control for the Hypertherm. It would be awesome to have that as part of Plasmac. Well, assuming it works well, I assume you've experienced it?

After reading the following from the bottom of page 6 Hypertherm application note 807220 :
"Real-time updates are not recommended because system response times vary based on the application being performed and the commands being issued. Powermax systems enable you to update some control settings – such as cutting current and gas pressure – even while the torch is cutting. However, testing should be performed to make sure that system response times are adequate for your applications."

It confirmed my decision against GCode parameters to change current or pressure while cutting as it is probably not going to be reliable. It is after all only a slow Modbus link.
We could theoretically send the command then wait for the correct response but there is no guaranteed time frame for this so what do we do during this time gap?

If a few of you guys using Hypertherm machines think it is needed then I will take another look but I won't react to complaints about reliability as I believe it would only be a "sales gimmick".

I think if you really "need" this feature then you should be using a higher end machine that does it properly.

No doubt, more curious than anything at the moment. Especially since command CNC claims to do this with their dynamic stuff DCC, and they’re using all of the same goodies we have available essentially. I also remember reading (maybe on plasma spider) Jim Colt really seemed to commend their implementation as it made this otherwise “hobbyist” level stuff, high end. (Summarizing his words, not mine)

At any rate, maybe Jim is a ccnc fan boy, or maybe money is involved. Who knows. Again, curious.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds