Feature Request

More
06 Aug 2020 11:07 #177489 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

I pushed some more changes:

Now when you resume it keeps the dialog open until the cut starts and the offsets are cleared (all the buttons are disabled)
If you pause before the offset are cleared, it will clear the offsets then enable all the buttons and away you go...
Cancel clears the offsets and closes the dialog immediately.
Stop clears the offsets and closes the dialog after they have cleared.

Took a few minutes this morning to update and give it a go. Happy to report that in the 5 minutes of testing I did this morning, it works EXACTLY like I would expect it to now!

I will mess around with it a bit more, and do some intentional cut-fails over the weekend. But for now, I think it's sorted out :lol: Good work, many thanks!

@Clive
I don't really think the intent was to exclude anyone... rather I volunteered to be the guinea pig so that those who use their tables for regular work don't experience disruption. There were a few attempts that temporarily "broke" things for me and that wouldn't have been convenient in a production environment (though you could point back to the "main" branch at any time if that were to happen). The idea behind discussing it here, rather than via email, etc. was actually to be anti-secret society and give everyone an idea of what was coming, and also to make those who were interested/following along aware of the issues that were discovered in case they should show back up unexpectedly for some reason or the other. Plus there's fun jokes about intercourse :laugh: At any rate, you got it, the intent is to push the stuff to the main branch once it's stable. No secret society, and no dimwits :)

@Rod

But honestly the biggest sin was a discussion about Visual Basic! :evil:
It really is a pretender in the programming stakes!

Haha, yea, I get it, a bit like Arduino... makes everyone feel like a hero. But that said, the feeling is likely the same when your code works like you wanted it to :lol:

Snowgoer, there is quite a good tutorial series on Python by Google.
developers.google.com/edu/python
But more importantly the videos are a much watch
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL61E606149255B362

I had started the google series (and then it fell off the radar), but I didn't know about the YouTube series, so thank you for the link! I need to get back on that.

I have to say I'm not fond of Python but it can be very efficient. It can achieve in 100 lines what might take 1000 lines in C. I still find it very unintuitive. A bit like Fusion 360 is for me right now...

Fusion and I have a love hate relationship. I love their CAM for my mill and Lathe. For the price (I now pay for it after years of using it for free), I seriously don't know how you could do better. It's incredibly useful and incredibly powerful. That said, I dislike their modeling structure, and I loathe that they are cloud based, and wont let me easily save things locally. I really don't understand how it's cost effective to offer free software (to hobbyists, etc) and then require cloud services which cost the company money to maintain. It seems to be a terrible business model. At any rate, I use CREO at work, learned on Catia, and dabbled in Solidworks early on. Modeling wise, I find Fusion to be the worst. Plus the assembly modeling is insanely un-intuitive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2020 11:31 #177492 by snowgoer540
Forgot to mention:

Ran LinuxCNC from terminal, saw this:
*** mesh-enable missing from plasma_run.cfg
*** mesh-ignore-ok missing from plasma_run.cfg

Maybe it's nothing?

More
06 Aug 2020 11:50 #177495 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request
That "should" mean that you haven't saved the mesh settings.

More
06 Aug 2020 12:20 #177502 by snowgoer540

That "should" mean that you haven't saved the mesh settings.

Oh ok, makes sense. I have not saved the mesh settings.

More
06 Aug 2020 12:24 #177503 by phillc54
I should disable saving the mesh enable as I don't think it should be able to have mesh enabled as the startup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
06 Aug 2020 12:47 #177505 by snowgoer540

I should disable saving the mesh enable as I don't think it should be able to have mesh enabled as the startup.

I tend to agree. Using Mesh Mode should be deliberate.

More
06 Aug 2020 15:50 #177527 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Feature Request

@Clive
I don't really think the intent was to exclude anyone... rather I volunteered to be the guinea pig so that those who use their tables for regular work don't experience disruption. There were a few attempts that temporarily "broke" things for me and that wouldn't have been convenient in a production environment (though you could point back to the "main" branch at any time if that were to happen). The idea behind discussing it here, rather than via email, etc. was actually to be anti-secret society and give everyone an idea of what was coming, and also to make those who were interested/following along aware of the issues that were discovered in case they should show back up unexpectedly for some reason or the other. Plus there's fun jokes about intercourse :laugh: At any rate, you got it, the intent is to push the stuff to the main branch once it's stable. No secret society, and no dimwits :)

No,, No its just the translation and friendly sarcasm I believe that you are in the states so that would be it.;)

I said about 100 post ago that was just sitting on the lines and watching the fun. Keep up the good work and banter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
07 Aug 2020 05:36 #177579 by phillc54
Another update, this is just to bring it up to date with 2.8/master, some changes to conversational, disable the saving of mesh-mode enable and the probe fix for ohmic probe offset.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
09 Aug 2020 22:28 #177781 by snowgoer540

Another update, this is just to bring it up to date with 2.8/master, some changes to conversational, disable the saving of mesh-mode enable and the probe fix for ohmic probe offset.

Updated today, spent a bit more time trying to break CR. Happy to report that I couldn't break it, despite my best efforts. The weekend got away from me, so I didn't get to do any actual torch-on testing but I have to cut some stuff soon, so I will get there this week sometime.

I did have a thought over the weekend: Would it be possible for Mesh Mode to override the current Hypertherm mode to Mode 2 (CPA) for those who have a Hypertherm with the communications enabled and present? The override wouldn't save with the material state, or the other settings. It would prevent forgetting to change it over, and on the flip side, it may eliminate mesh specific cut recipes. Just a thought I had yesterday.

Another thing I had on my list that we never really got to was that ohmic disable isn't really disabling the ohmic output pins, etc. (It's really ohmic ignore). Not sure if now's a good time to visit that or not?

I didn't want you to get bored with everything seemingly in good working order :laugh:

More
09 Aug 2020 23:20 #177782 by phillc54

Updated today, spent a bit more time trying to break CR. Happy to report that I couldn't break it, despite my best efforts. The weekend got away from me, so I didn't get to do any actual torch-on testing but I have to cut some stuff soon, so I will get there this week sometime.

It will be interesting to see the results and whether or not is is a worthwhile feature.

I did have a thought over the weekend: Would it be possible for Mesh Mode to override the current Hypertherm mode to Mode 2 (CPA) for those who have a Hypertherm with the communications enabled and present?

Seems like a reasonable idea.

Another thing I had on my list that we never really got to was that ohmic disable isn't really disabling the ohmic output pins, etc. (It's really ohmic ignore)

Do you mean Ohmic Probe Enable on the Run Panel

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds