Torch On HAL Pin when using 7i76e

More
21 Apr 2021 16:24 #206672 by snowgoer540

True, but it looks like he's attempting "hypersensing", so he will need one of the ohmic components. There's a few threads around here that explain it better than I can off the top of my head.

As I said, you need to use the ohmic.comp (included with LinuxCNC). Or ohmic2.comp, or ohmic3.comp (in the link below, as well as how to install them).

Rod has posted examples of how to hook up the hal stuff. Including his own .hal files.

Here's at least one thread to read: forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38848-hypersensing-questions?start=0

It details my (and a few others by the end) journey into "hypersensing", and as such has a lot of answers to questions with regard to getting it working, how it's evolved, and why it is the way it is.

It's 28 pages long, but it's worth the read.

In a nutshell, you need to pass the ohmic probe output from PlasmaC to the ohmic component. In addition, you need to pass the encoder velocity to the ohmic component. The output of the ohmic component will be passed to the PlasmaC ohmic input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2021 17:36 #206686 by txtrone

Type is the type of pin, be it bit, float, s32 etc.
Dir should be the direction of the signal looking from the LinuxCNC point of view. Might wana check this as i am a bit cloudy...
As for coms, might need to add the user to dialout, here is one of the many topics about that:
arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/7471...d-to-group-dialout-o

That solved the communication problem with my HyperTherm!

Now I am sifting through 28 pages of hypersensing evolution...

More
21 Apr 2021 18:30 #206693 by txtrone

True, but it looks like he's attempting "hypersensing", so he will need one of the ohmic components. There's a few threads around here that explain it better than I can off the top of my head.

As I said, you need to use the ohmic.comp (included with LinuxCNC). Or ohmic2.comp, or ohmic3.comp (in the link below, as well as how to install them).

Rod has posted examples of how to hook up the hal stuff. Including his own .hal files.

Here's at least one thread to read: forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38848-hypersensing-questions?start=0

It details my (and a few others by the end) journey into "hypersensing", and as such has a lot of answers to questions with regard to getting it working, how it's evolved, and why it is the way it is.

In a nutshell, you need to pass the ohmic probe output from PlasmaC to the ohmic component. In addition, you need to pass the encoder velocity to the ohmic component. The output of the ohmic component will be passed to the PlasmaC ohmic input.

Just sorted through the 28 pages. I am a bit confused on ohmic comp versions and if I have one installed already or not. How can I check to see if ohmic comp is installed already?

Also, what is the verdict on using a relay to interrupt the power supply?

More
21 Apr 2021 18:34 #206695 by txtrone

This went sideways rather quickly...
The "Ohmic Probe Enable" pin in the configurator must be a physical output that is wired to the relay that activates the power going to the sensing part of THCAD.
Any normal output can be used for that.

Is the relay that sends power to THCAD optional?

More
21 Apr 2021 18:35 #206696 by snowgoer540

Just sorted through the 28 pages. I am a bit confused on ohmic comp versions and if I have one installed already or not. How can I check to see if ohmic comp is installed already?

Also, what is the verdict on using a relay to interrupt the power supply?

You have ohmic.comp installed by default. you would have to install ohmic3 (I wouldnt see much point in using ohmic2)

User's choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
21 Apr 2021 18:39 #206697 by txtrone

You have ohmic.comp installed by default. you would have to install ohmic3 (I wouldnt see much point in using ohmic2)User's choice.

Ok, but 'regular' ohmic is ok to use? Or I need to install ohmic3?

More
21 Apr 2021 20:45 #206702 by txtrone

I suspect it's going to take issue with your ohmic enable HAL pin next as you are feeding a bit output to an encoder.

Wait a minute, what if I am not using the "Optional" relay?? Would I comment out the ohmic enable HAL pin?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2021 21:28 #206712 by tommylight

Wait a minute, what if I am not using the "Optional" relay?? Would I comment out the ohmic enable HAL pin?

Correct, but not advisable since the pilot arc generates anything in the 2000V to 15000V and that should give it some distance in case something goes south.
But i think someone here made due without it.

More
21 Apr 2021 22:22 #206723 by txtrone

Correct, but not advisable since the pilot arc generates anything in the 2000V to 15000V and that should give it some distance in case something goes south. But i think someone here made due without it.

Thanks Tommy. That makes more sense, I was going crazy trying to assign an output to something that did not exist!

Since I need to add a relay to my 'sense' circuit anyways... would you advise a newbie like me to use 'hypersensing' or 'regular sensing'? If I need to add the optional relay anyways, it would be trivial to remove the extra THCAD and wire up the multi-relay 'traditional' sense setup.

I am sure hypersense is far superior, but I just want to get up a running. At this point (with ohmic enable temporarily commented out) Plasmac loads, jogs correctly, proximity sensors are indicating correctly, and my HyperTherm is communicating.

More
21 Apr 2021 22:24 #206724 by snowgoer540

Correct, but not advisable since the pilot arc generates anything in the 2000V to 15000V and that should give it some distance in case something goes south.
But i think someone here made due without it.

I am not quite sure about ohmic, but ohmic3 uses the hal enable pin as a check for whether or not the output is true.

In other words, if the voltage > threshold, and NO ohmic enable input, there is no output from the component.

So you need to provide the enable whether or not you plan to use a relay. I thought this was documented in the hypertherm thread. Maybe it was somewhere else. Either way Rod's guided several people on here through the use of his ohmic3 component. I would seek out one of those threads if it's not in the hypersensing thread I linked earlier.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds