Sheetcam revised post - please test

More
13 Nov 2021 02:11 #226265 by phillc54
At this stage yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNJFAB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2021 02:58 #226267 by rodw

Thanks Phillc54.

So only workaround is to go to an old pp and choose the material in QTPlasmac?

James can you try editing the post and set
useTool = false
Near the top?
Your Sheetcam tool number must  matche your QTPlasmac tool number.

Hopefully that will retrieve the tool from QTPlasmac. there is a plasmac script to import tools.

More
13 Nov 2021 03:06 #226268 by rodw

With the current G-Code filter you won't be able to run from line if you use temporary materials. We could probably rework the filter so that this is possible.

Phil, it would be good if you could rework the code to support this. There is only going to be more users using sheetcam's included post. They should not be disadvantaged. I guess we could also add the tool number to the magic comment, then you would have it.

More
13 Nov 2021 03:08 #226269 by phillc54
Temporary tool numbering is handled by the filter.

More
13 Nov 2021 03:41 - 13 Nov 2021 03:41 #226276 by snowgoer540
I struggle to understand the thought process behind temporary materials.  Maybe I'm missing the tasty kool-aide, but I let the material library on my machine be the source of truth, not SheetCAM.  I use SheetCAM materials for picking the material type only.  My thought process is that when I make changes to the material parameters in QtPlasmaC, as a result of cut quality, etc. the material is instantly updated.  Any time I reference that material from then forward, it has the new variables. 

Otherwise, I'd have to remember to go back to SheetCAM and make the same changes.  But I'm willing to entertain that I'm missing something.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 03:41 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franklin, RNJFAB

More
13 Nov 2021 03:45 #226277 by phillc54
The original idea behind it was that it may be handy for a oneoff test of a cut.

I use the QtplasmaC material file as the master as well, with no material selection at all from SheetCam, that way I can cut the same job with different materials by manually selecting the material for the job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franklin, snowgoer540, RNJFAB

More
13 Nov 2021 03:48 #226279 by snowgoer540

The original idea behind it was that it may be handy for a oneoff test of a cut.

I suppose I could see that being useful, before one commits a material number to the library.

I use the QtplasmaC material file as the master as well, with no material selection at all from SheetCam, that way I can cut the same job with different materials by manually selecting the material for the job.

I had not considered that as an option. I think I would forget to set the material too often (like with some of my recent kerf-cross tests :) ). Normally I edit the code and change the material number.

It is nice to learn a new option though. Interesting to learn everyone's preferred work flows.

More
13 Nov 2021 03:51 #226280 by phillc54

I had not considered that as an option. I think I would forget to set the material too often (like with some of my recent kerf-cross tests :) ). Normally I edit the code and change the material number.

Why edit code when you could be lazy like me and just go click click. :)

More
13 Nov 2021 03:54 #226281 by snowgoer540

Why edit code when you could be lazy like me and just go click click. :)

Let's just say material 0's settings consistently leave something to be desired :laugh:

More
13 Nov 2021 04:26 #226282 by rodw
I think you guys have grown up with Plasmac so are used to it now. Sheetcam goes back years well before any entry level system had its own materials to select.

I was using it well before I used Plasmac.

An existing Sheetcam user migrating to QTPlasmac will have all of his cutcharts sorted so probably does not need to import his settings into Plasmac. That just adds another layer of complexity.

The real issue I guess is that we have data redundancy because we have two sources of the same info so there is not a single point of truth. Its really up to the user to choose and maintain his single point of truth.

Plasmac's moved on a lot but I chose Sheetcam to be my SPOT.  It was much easier to maintain cut charts in Sheetcam. I will say it is convenient to update data in plasmac but then if I grab the Thermal Dynamics manual to check settings it will be when using Sheetcam when setting up a job.

I did try to update Sheetcam after any change. eg. I might be cutting a new (to me) material, I might end up with a voltage or cut override which I then convert in my head to specific number to update the chart with.

Anyway, to Phil's credit he did a good job of incorporating the requirements for a post processor to control job settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds