Valid arc lost & top limit is reached while THC moving up

More
24 Feb 2022 23:06 #235756 by phillc54

For some strange reason i can not quote last post from Snowwy, but i can all the others, even mine !

Same here, it must be another forum feature. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, sharp_reaper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2022 23:08 #235757 by snowgoer540

For some strange reason i can not quote last post from Snowwy, but i can all the others, even mine !
Forgot about that snowwy, busy day with a bit of headache, the latter messes badly with my ability to think and process informations.

I guess I am a forum ninja?  No worries Tommy, it wasn't your feathers I wasn't wanting to ruffle :) 

More
25 Feb 2022 07:58 #235770 by rodw
Mode 0 is not without issues due to the simplistic ArcOK algorithm using thresholds when the torch voltage is quite erratic in piercing and not a smooth transition but thats another story. Its not something I would trust.

What I do see is in the original post the OP said he was using a THCAD-300. That makes no sense on a machine that has a voltage divider and a CPC port. The THCAD-300 designed to consume raw arc voltage.

So how is the THCAD connected to the machine and what voltage divider is used? Where is the THCAD located?
Where is it drawing 5v power from?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharp_reaper

More
25 Feb 2022 08:27 #235771 by phillc54

Mode 0 is not without issues due to the simplistic ArcOK algorithm using thresholds when the torch voltage is quite erratic in piercing and not a smooth transition but thats another story. Its not something I would trust.

Well it is more than just thresholds, it does require a number of valid samples within the thresholds.
I have never had any issues with it.

More
25 Feb 2022 12:07 #235782 by tommylight
Mode 0 works perfectly well with most plasma sources, but it will not work with some older ones as they do not have capacitors on the output rails.
Works perfectly with an old Iskra and Cebora, both 50A, does not work with Thermal Dynamics 90A -fails about twice every 10 fires, works perfectly with a new Stamos 70A, etc etc.

More
25 Feb 2022 12:43 #235784 by rodw

Mode 0 works perfectly well with most plasma sources, but it will not work with some older ones as they do not have capacitors on the output rails.
Works perfectly with an old Iskra and Cebora, both 50A, does not work with Thermal Dynamics 90A -fails about twice every 10 fires, works perfectly with a new Stamos 70A, etc etc.

Exactly my point, not to be trusted. If I did not have an ArcOK I would use your reed relay solution Tommy, I would never try and synthesise it.

More
25 Feb 2022 12:43 #235785 by sharp_reaper
I think I have fixed the issue. Checked everything from point to point and came to conclusion that the air tube is too long and can't give the needed flow to the plasma cutter when cutting. The momentary air loss generates the error/warning only when cutting, i never saw error in plasma source because i was monitoring controller (linuxcnc).
A faulty air pressure supply, which the plasma cutter lost the ArcOK due to less than minimum air pressure needed to cut, which indicates in LinuxCNC (and well indicated) a "Valid Arc Lost". The fact that cuts time to time it's when the air compressor supply  is working. I've managed to supply the right air pressure to the cutter and it's working. Now just need a few adjusts in THC movement.

I want to thank everyone that was able to help, I apreciate that! Now I understand better the works of plasmac and what to chek if anything isn't ok.
Sorry for the trouble.

THANK YOU 
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, snowgoer540

More
25 Feb 2022 15:42 #235787 by snowgoer540

THANK YOU 

You are quite welcome. Glad to hear you got it going!

Just a piece of unsolicited advice, if you don't have high flow air fittings, you might invest in them. The Hypertherm power sources seem to perform more consistently when they have a ton of volume in addition to the pressure requirements.

These are what I use: Air Fittings

When held next to standard fittings, the size difference of the hole is staggering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Feb 2022 07:46 #235839 by rodw
Great news. I know Jim Colt from Hypertherm always recommended to add a pressure gauge right at the plasma cutters inlet but air flow  at the design pressure is the most critical thing.

Just curious. Were there any errors reported on the plasma cutter's front panel? my Thermal Dynamics does report  low air pressure and I've seen it a few times if a breaker on the compressor pops. 

More
15 Mar 2022 12:50 - 15 Mar 2022 12:52 #237322 by sharp_reaper

Just curious. Were there any errors reported on the plasma cutter's front panel? my Thermal Dynamics does report  low air pressure and I've seen it a few times if a breaker on the compressor pops. 

Sorry for the delay.
I think it's very common the alert 0-12  low gas pressure alert when the cut ends
And the 0-20 low gas pressure.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2022 12:52 by sharp_reaper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds