qtplasmac 2.10 arc ok, thcad thc, and Thcad Ohmic troubleshooting help needed.

More
27 Feb 2023 03:01 #265473 by jimmyrig
Well I made that one line code change and........ She works!!!!!! Cut a project with 500ish pierces and all was great.

Got a backlog of parts to cut so will keep everyone updated on how well she is working. So far it cut for about an hour with only one minor hiccup (arc ok didn't transfer so the torch didn't start cutting). THC and ohmic worked amazing! No stops because of those two. It was crazy watching the steel bend while it was being cut and the torch followed the height perfectly. With just the float switch this wouldn't happen and the float switch would trip stopping the cut. Due to float flexing the sheet in an inconsistent manor.... With ohmic....No diving, no probing issues....nothing... it just worked.....frankly I was amazed.... And it was wicked fast too....gonna keep turning it up cause why not! Clearly ohmic can handle it.

I did pause the program every now and again and checked the ohmic voltage. What was interesting is sometimes it was the 15 volts or so but next time I paused it.... Nothing it was back to zero. So whatever slag builds up seems to get shot out before it completely shorts the torch out..... Which is awesome! I will cut a full 8x4ft sheet in the next few days and report if that hysteresis problem shows up..... But honestly I doubt it after seeing it build up then return to zero in a 4x4ft sheet.

Thanks for the help everyone.

As a side note/side project. I might attempt later. I bet we can do ohmic with the arc voltage. Add a 500k resistor between the torch and the shield. Add the 24v ps with 24+ and some resistor....would try 24k....to the table and - to the torch. Make the ohmic component link to the arc voltage (which now displays the 24v of the ps) and whenever the arc voltage goes to zero you know your on the material. Eliminates ohmic thcad entirely and should do the same thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2023 12:33 #265498 by snowgoer540

As a side note/side project. I might attempt later. I bet we can do ohmic with the arc voltage. Add a 500k resistor between the torch and the shield. Add the 24v ps with 24+ and some resistor....would try 24k....to the table and - to the torch. Make the ohmic component link to the arc voltage (which now displays the 24v of the ps) and whenever the arc voltage goes to zero you know your on the material. Eliminates ohmic thcad entirely and should do the same thing.

Not discouraging you from attempting to innovate with the following, and not in any way trying to be condescending, but felt it needed said nonetheless:

Plasma voltage/current should be taken very seriously. Things can fail in ways not yet thought of/experienced. For example: forget a ground clamp on the material, and your plasma power source will try to find another path to ground. Have a circuit that is incorrectly wired, or wired with components left out, or due diligence was not taken in the circuit design, etc. and that path to ground may be inadvertently provided via a less-than-ideal path which could result in fire, shock, frying electrical components, etc.

As for the resistance values, you will find that lower values decrease sensitivity. Make sure to consider the resistor's wattage in your calculations/testing. In our testing, the moving average did nothing to significantly affect water sensitivity. Lowering the resistance did. You could change it from being able to trigger on the top of a water drop, to moving through the water drop and triggering on the material by lowering the resistance. A lot of testing was done, but it couldn't possibly cover everyone's experience on their unique setups. Your mileage may vary. Enjoy the ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Feb 2023 01:38 #265528 by jimmyrig
Thanks for the words of warning! Will post docs here before attempting anything too crazy.

Agree on the resistor values, will keep an eye out on my table. I dont have a water table but will bring in wet sheets of steel every now and again. Will calibrate then.

I posted the doc changes on git, might as well post that ohmic bug fix as well?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
28 Feb 2023 08:54 #265539 by rodw
That would be great. The docs are in the comp anyway.
There is no need for you to use the ohmic3 comp without any water.

More
28 Feb 2023 09:29 #265543 by snowgoer540

I posted the doc changes on git, might as well post that ohmic bug fix as well?

Yep, I’ll be pushing the changes some time today.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds