Framing a metric GCode job on an imperial config

More
11 Mar 2023 18:26 #266422 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com
Hello again! What an amazing software. QTPlasmaC in LinuxCNC is just amazing.

The software is so good, I cannot say enough good about it. It takes "nitpicking" to find any flaws. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I open a GCode cut job which has millimeters specified as the unit of measure, on a QTPlasmaC config that has inches as the default unit, it's able to convert and cut that job. That's cool.

I think the software designers also meant to accommodate framing as well in such instances. However, it's like the software converts from millimeters to inches, and then converts the result again, and then again and again. Whenever a metric job is opened on an imperial config, and I attempt to frame the job, the torch mount barely moves (like a few thousandths of an inch or something).

Again this is "nitpicking," and the software is amazing. I mention both the above points, one of success, the other not, in one of my most recent videos, linked below.

Kudos to the developers of this amazing tool!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2023 18:30 #266423 by tommylight
Moved to "PlasmaC" section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug @ Design8Studio.com

More
11 Mar 2023 22:21 - 11 Mar 2023 22:22 #266437 by snowgoer540
No worries, not nit picking, if there’s a bug then we want to squish it.  

I think you are correct in that it’s not scaled and probably should be, just likely an oversight.  I’ll take a look tonight or tomorrow, unless Phill beats me to it  

It may be helpful if you can post your G-Code.  If not, probably not a big deal. 
Last edit: 11 Mar 2023 22:22 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Mar 2023 22:48 #266439 by phillc54
You could have combined Run From Line with Cut Recovery to get to the previous shape a lot quicker.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...plasma:run-from-line

We will have a look at the issue you mentioned with different units systems in framing.

More
12 Mar 2023 00:57 #266447 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

You could have combined Run From Line with Cut Recovery to get to the previous shape a lot quicker.

We will have a look at the issue you mentioned with different units systems in framing.

Thank you!!! I had hoped something like that existed, knowing it was possible, and I had clicked and prodded and looked, but somehow had missed it! Will investigate to master that!

More
12 Mar 2023 01:17 #266448 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

OK, awesome, that took only about a minute point five to master, and it worked exactly like I had already tried / like I thought it should. My only question now is why on earth is that awesome feature "defaulted" to being not enabled?!?! :-) 

More
12 Mar 2023 01:28 - 12 Mar 2023 01:30 #266449 by phillc54

OK, awesome, that took only about a minute point five to master, and it worked exactly like I had already tried / like I thought it should. My only question now is why on earth is that awesome feature "defaulted" to being not enabled?!?! :-)

That is probably a hang up from the "normal" LinuxCNC run from line that didn't take into account some settings and nor could you run from an arc. We did this so it runs through the gcode and sets everything (that we haven't forgotten) up correctly. You still cannot run from line within a subroutine but it "should" send an error message if this is attempted.

I just tried some framing with both an imperial sim and a metric sim using an imperial gcode and a metric gcode on each and it appears to work fine.
Can you post your gcode and let us know what units system the machine you tried it on was set to.

Last edit: 12 Mar 2023 01:30 by phillc54.

More
12 Mar 2023 01:31 #266450 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

That is probably a hang up from the "normal" LinuxCNC run from line that didn't take into account some settings and nor could you run from an arc. We did this so it runs through the gcode and sets everything (that we haven't forgotten) up correctly. You still cannot run from line within a subroutine but it "should" send an error message if this is attempted.

OK, I read that think I followed the better part of it. LOL

More
12 Mar 2023 01:34 #266451 by phillc54
Maybe it is time for us to make Run From Line enabled as the default. It does seem to work well.

More
12 Mar 2023 01:34 #266452 by snowgoer540

I just tried some framing with both an imperial sim and a metric sim using an imperial gcode and a metric gcode on each and it appears to work fine.
Can you post your gcode and let us know what units system the machine you tried it on was set to.

I just came here to say the same. I peeked at the code earlier today while we were enroute to our next destination, and there is a units correction which appears at least to be correct...

Like Phill said, your gcode may help.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds