Framing a metric GCode job on an imperial config

More
12 Mar 2023 01:34 #266453 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

I just tried some framing with both an imperial sim and a metric sim using an imperial gcode and a metric gcode on each and it appears to work fine.
Can you post your gcode and let us know what units system the machine you tried it on was set to.

The issue I had was when I opened an imperial config of QTPlasmaC, and then inside that, opened a GCode file that had millimeters set as the unit. The framing did not work right. This happened on multiple GCode files from multiple jobs, on the same imperial config. When I opened the same GCode file on a metric config, the framing was right. I will aim to try to post both my imperial setup / config info and one of the GCode files that had the issue. Thanks again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2023 01:35 #266454 by snowgoer540

Maybe it is time for us to make Run From Line enabled as the default. It does seem to work well.

+1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug @ Design8Studio.com

More
12 Mar 2023 01:37 #266455 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

Maybe it is time for us to make Run From Line enabled as the default. It does seem to work well.

+1

As soon as I enabled it, it worked like a charm for me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
12 Mar 2023 01:45 #266457 by phillc54
I tried again with an imperial machine and the metric sample files and all worked correctly.

Do your gcode files have the G20  or the G21 codes?

More
12 Mar 2023 01:49 #266458 by snowgoer540
For your probe tests, if you change the number next to the probe-test code in the SETTINGS tab, that's the number of seconds it will pause for you to check with the gage block, so you don't have to move so fast.

For a bit of unsolicited feedback, your cut speed looks to be a bit too fast to me. For instance when it was cutting the globe perimeter, there was an excess of sparks spraying ahead of the torch, that's usually a sign that it's too fast for the amperage selected.

More
12 Mar 2023 03:28 #266464 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

I tried again with an imperial machine and the metric sample files and all worked correctly.

Do your gcode files have the G20  or the G21 codes?

I am uploading two short videos... More on that below. But first...

I feel sheepish. I went to "repro" the framing issue, just to make sure before answering... and I could not reproduce the issue. I have no idea why framing was not working for me before. It happened on multiple files, and now it seems to be working fine, on both metric and imperial configs, with metric gcode files that have G21 code at the start. I should add that I rebooted the laptop just now. I feel like there were recent reboots with the issue I encountered before, but I cannot be positive.

However, I encountered another issue, but this time with "run from line" feature. When I first tried out the "run from line" feature for cut recovery, it worked great. At that time I was on a metric config with a metric file. I also have confirmed it working fine on an imperial config with an imperial file. But when I tried the "run from line" feature on an imperial config but with a metric file, I got an error about "cannot do G1 with zero" something or other. See video for specifics!

Video 1 of 2 (6 minutes): 

Video 2 of 2 (2 minutes): 

Note: as of when I am posting this, YouTube's "HD processing" is still ongoing on the first video. SD playback should be workable. It's saying another 25 minutes before HD viewing is ready.

More
12 Mar 2023 03:30 #266466 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

For your probe tests, if you change the number next to the probe-test code in the SETTINGS tab, that's the number of seconds it will pause for you to check with the gage block, so you don't have to move so fast.

For a bit of unsolicited feedback, your cut speed looks to be a bit too fast to me. For instance when it was cutting the globe perimeter, there was an excess of sparks spraying ahead of the torch, that's usually a sign that it's too fast for the amperage selected.

Thanks for the awesome tips! I was just watching some plasma cutting video talking about air and amps, and was thinking I either need to lower my speed or up my cutting power!

More
12 Mar 2023 03:46 #266467 by phillc54
I cannot duplicate this issue on my imperial config with a metric gcode file. Is it possible to post the offending gcode file.

More
12 Mar 2023 03:50 #266468 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

I cannot duplicate this issue on my imperial config with a metric gcode file. Is it possible to post the offending gcode file.

Sure. Here's the metric GCode file that does "run from line" in a metric config, but errors out in an imperial config.

File Attachment:

File Name: 1009WorldG....ngc.zip
File Size:894 KB
Attachments:

More
12 Mar 2023 05:29 #266470 by phillc54
I was able to duplicate the run from line issue and I have pushed a fix for it.

Thanks for the reports. Theoretically you should only need your imperial config (or metric depending on what your preference is) and it should work correctly for both metric and imperial gcode. If not then we would like to know.

Unfortunately I am unable to replicate the framing issue you encountered earlier. If you do run into it again please let us know.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds