M190 not recognised

More
11 Aug 2023 03:08 #277591 by beefy
Replied by beefy on topic M190 not recognised

I am not sure why it would not have been executable.

I checked the Submakefile and it appears to set M190 executable when LinuxCNC is built.

Hi Phill,

I've just done a new install on a blank PC using Debian Bookworm.
Used this guide linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
and went through the process in that guide to update 2.9 after installation.

I go to run a test file made with the conversational part of Qtplasmac and what do you know, once again the M190 is not recognised.
Fixed it by making the M190 executable.
So it appears something in the install is causing this.

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2023 03:43 - 11 Aug 2023 03:44 #277593 by beefy

I am not sure why it would not have been executable.

I checked the Submakefile and it appears to set M190 executable when LinuxCNC is built.
Hi Phil,

just done a fresh install (on a new PC) with Debian 12 using this guide:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
and as per the guide, updated 2.9 after the install.

However, when running a gcode file for the first time, I once again got M190 not recognised.
Made the M190 executable and problem fixed, but it looks like something is not right in the install and M190 is not being made executable.

Keith

Last edit: 11 Aug 2023 03:44 by beefy.

More
11 Aug 2023 04:12 #277595 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic M190 not recognised
Well that is weird, I just ran a Bookworm machine up and it seemed ok.

Did you also create a new config?

More
11 Aug 2023 08:06 #277610 by beefy
Oh crap, sorry Phill.

I completely forgot I used my old config and that has the M190 in. Too much going on in my head at the moment, I'll go and find a rock to crawl under.

Good news is my DIY pendant seems to be working with the external hal pins. I'm going to be one excited puppy when I get all the other buttons programmed in.

More
11 Aug 2023 08:14 #277612 by phillc54
No worries Keith. 

I’m looking forward to see the completed pendant. 

More
11 Aug 2023 08:51 #277619 by beefy

No worries Keith. 

I’m looking forward to see the completed pendant. 

No problem. It's not the prettiest thing as I've just made basic buttons for testing, but it should be very functional.
Because it's a touch screen (Nextion) you basically have an unlimited number of buttons, as you just keep adding them.
You can also have multiple pages, so you can have several pages full of buttons.
It will have most of the external hal pins from Qtplasmac, as many MDI_COMMAND buttons as a want, and jog buttons with about 5 different speeds to choose from.

More
11 Aug 2023 09:25 #277622 by phillc54
Sounds good. 

If you need any extra external pins let us know. 

More
11 Aug 2023 09:45 #277625 by beefy

Sounds good. 

If you need any extra external pins let us know. 

Ooohh OK, thanks for that offer.

More
11 Aug 2023 23:09 - 11 Aug 2023 23:11 #277680 by beefy
Hey Phil,
I woke up early and used the time to finish the coding in the microcontroller (that doesn't mean it works LOL) and the touchscreen.
I've attached photos of the 3 pages of the touchscreen.

Seeing as you're a technical guy I'll give you a brief description of it's workings.

On page zero you've got the Cycle Start, Pause/Resume, Stop, and a bunch of others that trigger the Qtplasmac external hal pins. Plus the set of buttons related to jogging.
The touchscreen buttons only allow a total of 8 characters of text, including spaces, so the decriptions are rather shortened. One day (maybe) I might get around to prettying things up with fancy images on the buttons that change when the button is pressed. Just going for functionality at present.

Page 1, at the top, is a copy of Page 0, but underneath you have all the Cut Recovery buttons.

Page 2 is just 10 MDI_COMMAND buttons. I have 10 "blank" MDI_COMMAND="" in the ini file and associated hal pin connections in the hal file, so all I have to do is put any required code after the MDI_COMMAND= in the ini file and the pendant button press should execute it.
All the touchscreen does is send command bytes to a microcontroller, which in turn pulses 6 outputs that "connect" to my custom 6 input, 64 output DEMUX component, thus pulsing one of the 64 outputs for a set time interval, unless it's a Cut Recovery FWD/REV which is continuously on while the button is pressed.

The 6 microcontroller outputs get to hal via the 7i96 P1 expansion connector.

The DEMUX component outputs connect to Qtplasmac external hal pins, as well as the hal MDI pins.

The other thing the microcontroller does is act as an encoder emulator and 2 outputs represent the A and B quadrature signals, which feed into the P1 expansion connector on the 7i96. A single button is repeatedly pressed to cycle through XYZ jog-enable, and the jog speed button works the same to select a jog speed. When the Jog+ or Jog- button is pressed the emulated encoder signals are output at a rate determined by the jog speed selection.

Everything I'd programmed before this point worked, the Cycle Start, Pause/Resume, Stop, Torch Enable, THC Enable, and Touch Off XY to Zero, so if I haven't stuffed up in my coding today, I'm expecting all the other buttons will work too.
Once I've confirmed all is working with a basic short TTL level serial connection, I'll install TTL to RS422 converter PCBs at each end so I have noise proof differential signals for transmission over the long wire.
I normally just use a cheap twisted pair 8 core ethernet cable for that.

It's still a pig though having a wired connection. I'm wondering if down the track I can find an off the shelf wireless transceiver pair that I can put in place of the wired connection. Will have to be fairly noise immune though being in a plasma environment.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Aug 2023 23:11 by beefy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
12 Aug 2023 00:01 #277687 by phillc54
That is pretty cool Keith, I like it...

Have you thought of using an MPG for jogging?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds