Another offset probing request

More
29 Feb 2024 11:38 - 29 Feb 2024 11:39 #294762 by Deveraux
Hi, 
Quick question. Would it be possible/much work to optimize the offset probing Feature for me again ? 
The probing routine is working but i have a small problem.
So the routine starts, x and y move to the offset --> my pneumatic cylindee fires, pobing starts, so far so good.
Now however the plasma head moves to cut height in the offset position then moves to the cut x y position.
and while it moves to the cut position Z moves up to Pierce height.  
this however sometime results in the probe head crashing into material if the material from a previous cut is moved due to the airpressure of the plasma or did not fall into the water bath correctly and sticks out. Sometimes the plasma head moves the whole sheet which results in a lot of repositioning work etc.
would it be possible to modify the offset probe routine to run the movement to z pierce height or safe height first and then start moving x y ? 
The breakaway signal does fire when water hits the breakaway ring i had once which sometimes splashes up which is why i did not follow that route further. 

The parts that cause this problem most of the time dont make any problems with my 5mm pierce height but my cut height is around 2 mm and that does cause problems sometimes. A different setting altogether would work too but i assume its much more work and i dont want to annoy you superhelpful people all the time with Feature requests as you are doing so much already.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help.

Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 11:39 by Deveraux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2024 11:53 #294764 by andypugh
Assuming that this routine is handled by a G-code remap routine, tis sounds like a simple change to the G-code. But without rather more information about your system it is hard to be specific.

More
29 Feb 2024 12:25 - 29 Feb 2024 12:26 #294766 by Deveraux
Im running the latest version of the qtplasmac master branch. On Debian Buster.
The probing routine is activated by the qtplasmac specific start cut gcode M3 $0 S1.
My FGPA is the Mesa 7i96s 
Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 12:26 by Deveraux.

More
29 Feb 2024 13:15 #294769 by tommylight
Moved to PlasmaC section.
-
QtPlasmaC has built in probing, so any change would require digging into the code.
Still, might be something that can easily be setu up/fixed, so might want to wait for PhillC or Snowwy to reply, they are the head honchos for PlasmaC.

More
29 Feb 2024 14:12 #294777 by Deveraux
Yeah from my understanding the reason for running both the z and xy movements together is probably probing speed optimization since offset probing itself takes a lot of time. But im more than willing to add like 1 sek to my probe routine if it reduces the possibility of my torch pushing the whole sheet around. 
Unfortunately i dont know where to look and if my meager coding skills are up for the job. All in all the offset probing is a great feature for people like me with a rather old pre cnc plasmatorch and water constantly on the table (i was also worried about introducing torch emi directly into the housing which holds my fgpa which is why i am really happy to be able to do offset probing)

More
29 Feb 2024 15:37 #294782 by tommylight
Just a thought, did you try raising the "safe height" in the settings tab?

More
29 Feb 2024 20:32 #294800 by Deveraux
That was something thing i tried but then i noticed that my safe height is way above the z position the probe moves to while doing offset probing.
so i observed the offset probing routine and came to the conclusion that it moves to pierce height because z is not further adjusted after the offset probing move. 

More
29 Feb 2024 22:35 - 29 Feb 2024 23:57 #294805 by phillc54
I will have a look at this, I have a few things on at the moment so it may take a few (or more) days.

EDIT: What is your probe height value? The final Z probe should not begin until the X + Y offsets are reached. The Z will wait at probe height until the offsets are reached.

Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 23:57 by phillc54.

More
01 Mar 2024 09:02 #294826 by Deveraux
I have not explained my problem properly and i am very sorry for that ill try to elaborate. The probing itself is not my problem.

1.  XY movement to offset position meanwhile the Pneumatic Cylinder deploys.
2. Once XY Offset is reached Z Moves down from Probe Height which is 50mm above the Material in my case (Deployed cylinder is 25mm below the torch)
3. Cylinder makes contact with the material ohmic signal is received and the cylinder retracts.
Now however my problem starts.
4. XY is still in offset position Z moves down 23.5mm ( ohmic offset parameter minus cut height parameter) which results in the torch being in the offset position but 1.5mm above the material (somethimes where previous cuts have been and material is not lying flat on the bed (sometimes due to air pressure since the torch is still blowing air to cool the nozzle) all it takes is something sticking out 1.5mm.
5. XY Offsets are being reversed while the torch is 1.5mm above the sheet. While the offsets are being reversed Z moves up to pierce height which is 4mm but since this happens at the same time x and y moves the torch gradually moves up while being 1.5 to 4mm above the sheet.
This results in collisions if anything is in the path of the torch.

So my question was if there is a possibility to reverse the offsets first and then move the torch down to pierce height ? 
My Offsets are about 10mm Y Position and 45mm X which is quite large but this is because of my Torch holder being 5mm thick and my pneumatic cylinder is a square of 40mm by 40mm.

I was thinking of reconstructing the probe so that it fires a ring down around the torch but i build my current probe head like a nozzle which also blows out air and cleans the water from the table around the probe and i would very much like to keep it that way as i had many problems with rusty water before. 

I am more than happy that you are willing to look at my problem. Currently i am watching every cut of the machine to stop it if any material sticks out. So time is not that relevant for me. 

More
01 Mar 2024 22:45 #294869 by phillc54

So my question was if there is a possibility to reverse the offsets first and then move the torch down to pierce height ? 
My Offsets are about 10mm Y Position and 45mm X which is quite large but this is because of my Torch holder being 5mm thick and my pneumatic cylinder is a square of 40mm by 40mm.

I am sure that we can come up with something. The original reason for the way it operates is to make probing time as short as possible. We could probably make it an option via a halpin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deveraux

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds