VTK Backplot on RPi 4

More
28 Jul 2020 15:13 #176257 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4
CD to where the package is from the terminal then type
sudo gdebi mane_of_the_package.deb
Replace the name of package with the one you want to install.
Getting that error means there is something wrong with the permissions system wide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2020 23:12 #176299 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4
Yes, something not quite right. User pi in a standard image has sudo rights normally.

From the terminal you can start Thunar file manager with su rights.

$ sudo thunar

But with permissions correct you should not need to do this...

BR

Scott

More
29 Jul 2020 13:45 #176389 by Nabazul
Replied by Nabazul on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4
Alright i got to sucessfully install your deb package. The file was somewhat corrupted when i downloaded it with wget (was only 12 megs). Downloaded again wtih chromium and it installed successfully. Unfortunately i still get the "ImportError: No module named qt" Error. I guess i somewhere messed it up by manually compiling vtk. I will try again with a fresh install on a differend sd card and report back.

More
30 Jul 2020 18:29 - 30 Jul 2020 18:40 #176556 by Nabazul
Partial Success!

Started from scratch with the Raspberry PI OS (Desktop)

Installed the RT Kernel following this guide:
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/rpi4-rt.html

Installed Linux CNC following this guide:
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/rpi4-emc.html

Used scottas Guide to install vtk and qtpyvcp (btw wget failed everytime i tried it with that deb file)

Now i can launch linuxcnc with the Brender Action and Mini sim examples. I can also start up the Probe Basic GUI. However the vtk backplot is completely black. As soon as i do anything to manipulate the backplot linux cnc crashes with the following error:
ERROR: In /home/pi/Development/VTK-8.2.0_old/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx, line 447
vtkShaderProgram (0x29fc3e0): 0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.50 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

To me this sounds like the end of the road on the raspi 4 as it reads like and hardware or driver problem....

EDIT: Googeling this error leads me to this:
discourse.vtk.org/t/error-glsl-1-50-is-not-supported/1444/2

So i guess i have to put "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2" somewhere?
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 18:40 by Nabazul. Reason: Additional Info

More
30 Jul 2020 21:42 #176566 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4
I also had this error and went around and around with compilation options with no success. The issue for me was using the Full OpenGL kernel driver rather than the Legacy driver.

If you have a line like dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d in your config.txt try removing it. As I don't have a Pi 4 I cannot test directly.

For some reason the legacy driver supports newer versions of GLSL, or VTK is defaulting to OpenGL ES when the Full OpenGL driver is not available. I compiles VTK to support OpenGL ES. Not 100% sure, all a bit too complicated.

For me I cannot open Brender as the GL back plot is not supported on the Pi 3

BR

Scott

More
31 Jul 2020 18:07 #176687 by Nabazul

If you have a line like dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d in your config.txt try removing it. As I don't have a Pi 4 I cannot test directly.

That did it! However the performance of the backplot is kind of ....... meeeh. Feels less than 30 fps.

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2020 16:38 #180341 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4
Are you guys using 32 or 64 bit buster? The install instructions for qtpyvcp state that it will not work on 32 bit os.

More
01 Sep 2020 21:06 #180357 by persei8
I got it working on raspberrypi os 32 bit buster but its slow and jerky. That might be because I'm connecting via ssh with x11 forwarding. I'll try a 64 bit os and see if it makes any difference. This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the vtk backplot can be used with qtvcp? The problem there is that the gcode_graphics widget uses opengl while the pi needs opengl es.

More
01 Sep 2020 21:14 #180359 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic VTK Backplot on RPi 4

The problem there is that the gcode_graphics widget uses opengl while the pi needs opengl es.

Did you try software rendering, i used it on a Pi3 and it improved things quite a bit.

More
01 Sep 2020 21:15 #180360 by persei8
Nope - because I have no clue how to do that.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds